PDA

View Full Version : The Race is On: 360 vs. PS3

wraggster
May 9th, 2006, 17:52
Via Gizmodo (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/the-race-is-on-360-vs-ps3-172551.php)

The Wall Street Journal, that bastion of strong gaming journalism, has a detailed look at the business behind the 360 and the PS3. Essentially, they’re saying that Sony is gambling that Blu-Ray and its attendant coolness will propel the console and the media into the stratosphere. The make or break point, however, is E3.

“Clearly, Sony is playing catch-up at this point,” says P.J. McNealy, an analyst at American Technology Research. But he says that Sony could bridge that gap, and this week is “a significant waypoint to see if Sony has its act together on the PlayStation 3.”
Microsoft has shipped 3.3 million consoles—all of them to a Best Buy in Juneau, Alaska, apparently—and is banking on this hearty lead to knock PS3 down a peg or two. Will it happen? Probably not, but the HD DVD adapter will definitely have some effect on that media’s penetration into the home. We shall see, friends.

kimbonious
May 9th, 2006, 20:14
damn wragster from your posts i would say i see a sony fanboy, so much for constructive criticism and equal "reporting"

Accordion
May 9th, 2006, 20:24
for me blu ray is the deciding factor, i not being a big microsoft fan anyway foolishly believed the xbox 360 came with a hd-dvd drive i assumed the storage was needed to deliver such graphics etc. but it has been confirmed up to now(press conferance may change anything) that no 360 games will arive on hd-dvd format so the storage is stuck at 6-8 GB. bad move
blu-ray storage shows that games will be bigger better and give the devs alot more to experiment with

emuking
May 10th, 2006, 04:46
ps3 has good games but it too expensive,im getting a wii and 360 first

Cap'n 1time
May 10th, 2006, 05:47
nintendo wins.

SmashinGit
May 10th, 2006, 14:42
Sony hasn't had much luck in the past in releasing new formats, betamax and even UMD psp movies spring to mind.

tsurumaru
May 10th, 2006, 15:06
I'd like to see exactly how much of that 50Gb Blueray storage developers are going to actually use. Just look at UMD's, the first PSP titles actually had only 200-600Mb of actual data on a 1.8Gb media. I'm sure we'll see something similar with 1st Gen PS3 titles.

Accordion
May 10th, 2006, 16:31
it is proposed that all the region media, voiceover,etc can be included on the disc and therefore we get multi region games with a worldwide release. PSP isnt next gen hardware though, its a shrunken psone thats taken some vitamins

i find the motion sensing control quite funny though
it take the whole point of the wii controller and turns it into a gimmick, which looks alot more natural from a gaming perspective and looks amazing in the warhawk demo
i dont know, the wii just doesnt seem to make a big enough statement mario looks depressing in terms of gameplay. flick wrist to jump, flick wrist to attack. repeat. repeat

kimbonious
May 10th, 2006, 17:08
What do you mean they need the space, pop in a xbox game, any one and see how much of the 9.2 gigs it's using. 3-4 is the average.

So what devs just didn't know that. NO they don't need the space, most devs have already said they don't need 50 gigs of space, and if they did it's because thats how much code it takes to get a game runnning on playstaion. It's too difficult to code for the playstation.