PDA

View Full Version : Max 4gb Hd and media launcher for homebrew and gba/ds rom backups?

charlieaf92
May 9th, 2006, 21:41
I'm thinking about getting the new 4gb HD for the ds, that comes with the datel max media launcher. According to this site that I found : http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=&cs=&r=1&l=&page=1&p=17&i=8996&s=8
It is possible to run homebrew games on the DS with only this package - or so they say? Can anyone tell me that has one if they are able to play homebrew, as well as backups of their GBA and DS games without any additional hardware?

Thanks a lot in advance,
-Charlie

Mazza
May 10th, 2006, 17:18
you can use the max media launcher and an m3 or supercard to play roms but the hard drive won't play them.

charlieaf92
May 10th, 2006, 19:00
you can use the max media launcher and an m3 or supercard to play roms but the hard drive won't play them.

Thanks for the reply. Why won't the hd play roms? Have they enabled some sort of copyright protection on it?

Thanks again,
-Charlie

Mazza
May 11th, 2006, 00:15
the simple asnwer is that the software to do so isn't built in, or so i don't think. With other adaptors like the M3 and Supercard the software allows you to run roms but the HD by datel focuses on videos and mp3s

MsvP
May 25th, 2006, 22:44
But in the articel from codejunkies they say that the MAxMdeiaplayer with the HD will support the emulation of games!

Mazza
May 26th, 2006, 00:26
you can run emulators and games like snes and retro etc. but you can't run nintendo ds roms on it.

MsvP
May 26th, 2006, 10:29
Oh ok, but isn't a nintendo DS rom illegal?:eek:

Mazza
May 26th, 2006, 17:30
it's illegal to use any roms, even for the older consoles. Although some countries allow for backups of games you own to be run and no-one on these forums will have a go at you if you are running backups of games you already own.

charlieaf92
May 26th, 2006, 18:49
I did some more research and I think you're right. The Datel HD can't run DS or GBA games (or at least not very well). From what I read it can't because it isn't fast enough - so that would make me wonder how well it will handle complicated homebrew apps and games as well. I went ahead and bought an M3 SD slim and passkey2. It is going to end up costing about the same as a datel HD, and I've read plenty of reviews saying that it will run any DS or GBA game flawlessly.

For the record, here in the US it is legal to run ROMs of games once they have been abondoned by the owner for a certain amount of time - I forget the exact terminalogy, but they become public domain. It is also legal to make or download a backup of a game that you own.

Thanks for the help guys.

catfish24
June 10th, 2006, 00:29
So the HDD/Media Player can't play homebrew games?

catfish24
June 10th, 2006, 03:27
the simple asnwer is that the software to do so isn't built in, or so i don't think. With other adaptors like the M3 and Supercard the software allows you to run roms but the HD by datel focuses on videos and mp3s
I heard that they will be releasing updates for the player. The first one was the ability to play mp3's.
Do you think they could release software that would allow you to run roms?

GinaWrite
June 16th, 2006, 03:23
So the HDD/Media Player can't play homebrew games?

The Media Player doesn't do much of anything. MP3s that play okay from an SCSD skip frequently when run off the HD. Movies that have no problem playing off my SCSD may play at a couple frames per second (or less) when copied to this device.

This device demonstrates the same lack of commitment and quality that Datel put in the Action Replay Max for the GBA/DS. That was another waste of my time and money.

About the only good thing about the HD is that this site is (one of two) listed in a text file in the Games directory on the drive.

Gina

P.S. Yes, I read the excuses in the manual, especially the first one in item 8, the FAQ.

The Hombrew Hunter
June 16th, 2006, 04:02
Hmm. I wouldn't go for the HDD, but maybe the Media Dock. With my OWN FCs.

Snicket
June 18th, 2006, 07:32
The 4 GB harddrive can play homebrew and ds roms. It can play anything that is .nds . It seems to run WarioWare and Electroplankton fine. You just have to use a program called Max Overload to patch the "clean dumps" of the Nintendo DS game. So far, most Homebrew games I've tried play just fine, nothing needed except tranfer them to the drive, but I've only tried a few simple ones so far such as DS Chess.

GinaWrite
June 18th, 2006, 15:11
I've been trying the MML card with my SCSD (since the HD has been a disapointment) and I've been finding problems with homebrew programs where the touch screen/ARM7 isn't working. As an example, the wifi test program hangs waiting for the ARM7 to init. It works fine with a passkey. poffpad and dsbasic don't work either. DSchess has always been a finicky game, IMHO, and it freezes after the 1st move on my DS.

I've decided to return this product and get my $230 back.

Gina

P.S. the card likes to stick in my DS as the slots that hold it in are not rounded off like the other cartridges.

The Hombrew Hunter
June 18th, 2006, 15:31
Sounds good. Glad I found the Supercard SD and Superkey for $56 something USD. Better and more efficient (and hella cheaper) homebrew.

catfish24
June 18th, 2006, 22:11
I've decided to just go ahead and buy an M3 CF instead of the Media Dock seeing as it hasn't been getting that much of good feed back.
I ordering it from divineo.cn.
It has $5 airmail shipping.
Cheaper than divineo.com.