PDA

View Full Version : LaserSDL for Dreamcast

wraggster
March 26th, 2004, 08:39
Metafox and Ss_teven are back with a new SDL version of their Laser emulator, heres the newspost in full:[br][br] Laser-SDL v1.0 Revision 1.beta1 Dreamcast[br][br]Steven Harris (tty01, better known as ss_teven) read my post on my Dreamcast development site about not having Laser up until I got it converted into SDL. He's taken matters into his own hands, and produced a beautifully working version of Laser using the SDL library. I'm truly excited that he has decided to come back to working on Laser after taking a much-deserved break.[br][br]I took some time over the last couple of days to get it working for Dreamcast. I've got a simple version working very nicely with Space Invaders. It uses a crappy routine to expand the playing area by 2, so as to be seen better on televisions. The playing area is now 512*512, as compared to 256*256, but there are lines missing inbetween the pixels drawn). This is barely noticeable on television sets (at least NTSC), but is very noticable on VGA monitors. [br][br]I'm going to work on it a bit more (think of a better way to stretch the playing area), and add a menu for selecting games, but I decided to release the binary and source for those interested.[br][br]Thanks to: Steven Harris (this has really become his project, more than mine, since he rewrote Laser to use a driver system - and now with the SDL rewrite), Mike Greene (the author of SinVader - the Space Invaders emulator that I was generously allowed to extend for my first version of Laser way back in January 2000. Laser is much different now, and hardly any of his original code remains, but Laser wouldn't be here today if it weren't for him), ATani (for porting Laser 0.9 to Win32 and being an overall cool guy), Domenico Dato (for porting Laser 0.9 to Linux, BeOS, and WinCE. I still kick myself for losing the zipfile of the WinCE port, and pimping the BeOS port as if it were my own. You're greatly appreciated Domenico - much more than I ever showed), Caz (for converting Laser 0.9 into SDL for the BeOS port), Marat Fayzullin (for the Z80 and M6502 cores that are used in Laser), Bart Tryzlandowski (for support early on in my Laser endevours, and allowing me to use his FindOption routine from Genital), JoseQ (for promoting Laser like crazy with his famed rumor mills), tkchris (for promoting Laser, and bugging me to update the code for Linux. It only took about 2 years, and even then it wasn't me who did it. Yes, I'm lazy, and I'll admit it. :P), and everyone who has supported Laser for the past 4 years. It is truly appreciated. Thanks :) [br] [br][br]Download from our LaserSDL page here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/lasersdl.shtml