PDA

View Full Version : [PSP] downgrading idea

extreemiL
May 17th, 2006, 14:41
if someone could make a custom firmware for routers that redirects the network update site's www adress to another server... wouldn't it be possible to load a downgrader into the other server that the psp gets redirected to?

cloud_952
May 17th, 2006, 19:06
Oh yes. ^_^ It'd actually be incredibly easy to do. In fact, you wouldn't even need to redirect anything, use any other servers, or even connect via your PSP.

You could just download an old update file and put it on your memory card. But.. wait. O_o That doesn't work.

When you connect and Network Update, it follows the same rules as a downloaded update. In fact, that's all a network update is. They download the file to your memory card and then you run the software.

IndianCheese
May 18th, 2006, 00:41
I just thought of something...if you did redirect it to another server with a 1.50 update and download it...

You know how it asks you after you download an update if you want to press X to run it right then and there? Maybe Sony forgot to patch that. If the PSP saw the 1.50 update as a new one on the server being redirected to, it would say a newer version is available. After it downloaded, it would ask to update right there without going to the game menu. Maybe someone should try this out!

ddan
May 18th, 2006, 21:04
Hi

how and where do i get 2.00 update for the psp i am running 1.00 and want to do homebrew

thanks

dan

V3N0M
May 18th, 2006, 21:08
Don't update then. 1.0 runs Homebrew fine way better than 2.0.

the one and only
May 19th, 2006, 14:51
lol crisis averted

Accordion
May 19th, 2006, 20:55
problem is the psp checks the firmware on three occasions
1 before you download
2 before you load the updater program
3 before it begins writing to flash
(and 4 when you get the blue error screen at the end of a downgrade, but then it is too late)
we cant bypass these checks without screwing up the encryption/signature on the eboot so it wont work

if you put a 1.5 eboot on the mem stick but you change all number references to a higher value like 2.8 it will boot up to the updater program but when you try to confirm it doesnt work as it checks the contents and notices that it is not as labeled. the only way to downgrade is to change the system number to a 1.0 and run a real 1.5 update, but even this wont work on higher firmwares as sony has changed all the path names and locations which messes everything up.... have a look on the ps2dev forums i cant remember all the info
i personally see absolutely no chance of a downgrader for higher than 2.0. but i dont see the point either, 1.5 is just too outdated, what would be best is a proper hole in the next firmware which allows full memory access to unsigned code

on a positive note
how does the wipeout browser trick work
could that be used to link to the special 1.5 server?
i suppose it would be good to try though, dont rule anything out without proof..
it would be a very good idea to post this on ps2dev forums to get some real experienced feedback, they will most likely give you a definitive answer once and for all