PDA

View Full Version : OT - Linux-based handheld console launches in UK

wraggster
May 18th, 2006, 11:24
Homebrew Fans already know this but it seems the mainstream have caught on at last, heres the newspost from Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6151474.html):

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//170/gp2x.jpg

GP32/2x Distribution Ltd has announced that the GP2X is now available in the UK. It is the successor to the GP32 handheld, which sold over 32,000 units. The console features a 240MHz processor, 64MB of RAM and 64MB of on-board NAND flash memory. It will retail for £124.99 in the UK.

The GP2X can run games, music and movies, read e-books and store photos. The distributors claim that the handheld offers "higher quality audio and video playback" than the Sony PSP and it can also be connected directly to a TV set.

There are over 500 games available for the console--most as free downloads through the official website and developers (http://gp2x.co.uk/go.pl?A902) are encouraged to work with the open-source system. There are also 10 commercial games in development.

"We have been astonished by the kind messages and feedback from the early GP2X userbase. The speed at which games and software has been released is amazing. Now it is time that the UK public get to see what a powerful and flexible machine the GP2X is," explained Craig Rothwell, director of GP32/2x Distribution Ltd.

As most who visit DCEmu s Network of sites know, i have actively supported and spammed :p about the GP2X since before it was released in Korea last year, for homebrew fans like me its great to have consoles that embrace homebrew than try to wreck it for us, remember to visit our very own GP2X Emulation News Site (http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/)where we have all the very latest news and downloads for the GP2X, back to normal service now :)

T-2000
May 18th, 2006, 11:53
but what commercial games are there ?

Kramer
May 18th, 2006, 12:18
theres no commercial games it's intended for emualators and ports plus it plays music and videos.

geise69
May 18th, 2006, 13:30
Also it's a 200mhz arm processor not 240mhz. Where are they getting their facts? Most GP2x's can be over clocked passed 200mhz up to about 295mhz. Granted stuff gets unstable at that speed, and some people have reported that they can't even overclock past 235. I guess I'm one of the lucky one's. I'm glad the GP2X is getting more coverage. It will help with more interest from people in the system. Even coders that have never heard of it and want to get their hands on one.

RedKing14CA
May 18th, 2006, 15:35
Can it play starcraft? if not... i wont get it... heheh

Mazza
May 18th, 2006, 22:41
good system but news is about 5 months too late lol

www.gpx2.co.uk

GagaMan
May 19th, 2006, 00:37
Ooh, does this mean it might actually be for sale in selected shops? I'd certianly consider buying one of these over a PSP for the homebrew/emulator posibilities =D

Night-Wolf
May 19th, 2006, 06:54
Does GP32/2x have better emulaters than PSP?

felonyr301
May 19th, 2006, 07:05
good FIRST question night wolf lol does it really have better emulators than the psp i havent looked into that just want to know like especially the popular ones like nintendo systems and what about the ps1 thing i heard about whats up with that..

xXSujoXx
May 19th, 2006, 12:55
Looks Tight

Murdock
May 19th, 2006, 13:09
I just did a brief research and found the so called Gamepark XPG ... it seems that this thing pretty much resembles the PSP considering the hardware ... but I did not yet find out what actually runs on this thing or let's say what its potentials are ...

if any1 at DC Emu could find out about that this would be great.

If I'd have known of the existence of such a massively hombrew orientated pice of hardware, I think I'd have not bought the PSP ... just for the fact that $ony does NOT support the whole idea of homebrew! I hate them 4 that! I hope u'll choke on the losses u get from the fact that some ppl. d/l and play for free the ****in commercial games u and the other companies sale! Just screw u! Have a look at Gamepark! they even encourage ppl. to code for the device and provide sourcecodes and tools! THIS is what a good company does! NOT inventing a new type of drive and restricting the buit-in video player's possibilities in order to force ppl. to buy my ****in UMD Videos ... u suck! it is disgusting!
**** U $ONY!

yaustar
May 19th, 2006, 13:32
The XGP and GP2X are two different consoles by different companies. The XGP is mainly geared towards 3D commercial games. It is rumoured that it is possible to run homebrew on it. Check: http://gamepark.com/

The GP2X which is the console in the picture currently has two commercial games lined up for the summer and has an excellent homebrew developer base at the moment. Check out this review for more details: http://craig.gp2x.de/review/GP2XReview.html

As for the whole GP2X vs PSP debate in terms of homebrew, both have disadvantages and advantages. For example the GP2X has Mame 0.34 and NeoGeo MVS/AES running at full speed with sound (with some overclocking) but lacks in the Snes department.

Darksaviour69
May 19th, 2006, 13:37
you know we have a Gp2x news forum
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=85

its been there for a good while, over 800+ news items

also a few years back we (dcemu) had a dreamcast/gp32 coding contest.

geise69
May 19th, 2006, 13:41
I just did a brief research and found the so called Gamepark XPG ... it seems that this thing pretty much resembles the PSP considering the hardware ... but I did not yet find out what actually runs on this thing or let's say what its potentials are ...

if any1 at DC Emu could find out about that this would be great.

Ok first of Gamepark is different than Gampark Holdings. Gamepark released the GP32 and the company then split into two companies basically. Gamepark wants to have a commercial game system and Gamepark Holdings started the GP2X to keep it as an open source emulating machine. The XGP that eventually is going to be released is gonna try to be a commercial game machine. It still might run homebrew but I dont' know if that's for certain. For better information than what I can give you check out www.gp32x.com or check out Wragg's GP2X site for more info. Now people asking if it has better emulators, well it depends on personal preference. Also the psp has been out a while longer so some emulators are more polished than others on the GP2X. As for nes emulation and gameboy it's about the same. SNES at the moment is a bit better on the PSP, but is being worked on. Pc-engine emulation is also better at the moment on psp as well, but a guy named Vobbo is porting his windows Pc-Engine emulator at blazing fast speeds. One reason I bought the GP2X is for MAME and the Neo-Geo MVS based emulator GNGEO2x. It is by far the coolest thing on a handheld. I know MAME is coming together on the PSP but it's still far from being what it is on the GP2X. I believe in time though the PSP one might catch up but it will be a while. This mame on GP2X can run most of the nice oldschool late 70's and 80's games, and emulat all the Capcom CPS1 games like Street Fighter II and Final Fight. Also that mame even runs a lot of the NeoGeo games. Even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles runs on the GP2X MAME. It's very awesome. Genesis/Mega Drive emulation is crazy awesome with Reesy's DrMDX. It's a full speed 60fps emulator. I love DGEN and it has a bit more options, but this is a FAST emulator. Also since you can overclock your GP2X you can guarantee every game will run full speed. Sega Master System/Game Gear emulation just got awesome as well. It is far better than the SMS Plus emulator for PSP. Especially in the speed and sound department. It's so fast I need to underclock my processor. Anyways I doubt anyone is even reading my ramblings. Just check out Wragg's GP2X site and www.gp32x.com. It will have all the info you need. Especially what there is to know about the XGP.

looks like Youstar beat me too it. haha guess i took to long to type.

Voltron
May 19th, 2006, 18:52
Seriously? Is this truly BETTER than the PSP in regards to homebrew?

The PSP has such advanced Emulators as SNES9XTYL, NeoCDZ, Nester J, DGEN, Some even with WIRELESS 2-player adhoc support.

I briefly looked into the GP2X a while back and was not impressed. Maybe things have advanced as far as hombrew but I think the PSP is the BEST portable device for homebrew.

The major problem is that 1.50 firmware is the best for homebrew. So I guess its destined to have a limited following due to no way to downgrade past 2.00

rmg060606
May 26th, 2006, 05:35
i would have to agree its a good idea but it was way too late if it came out as soon as psp then it would have stood a better chance but o well im perfectly happy with my psp

yaustar
May 30th, 2006, 04:00
How is it too late? Its the successor to the GP32 which was the ultimate homebrew portable console years before the PSP was even an idea. It had SMS, NES GBC, SNES, SMD, PCE, Lynx, Atari ST, Spectrum, Mame 0.34, ScummVM, it plaed movies, oggs, mp3s, huge amounts of homebrew, it was home to SmashGP before the PSP.

The PSP is just more mainstream.

Wally
May 30th, 2006, 04:08
I guess you would all have to agree to the fact that GP2x users are not locked out and no hacking of firmwares is required.

Sony are scumbags in this way :P