PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to play quake?

dcdood
October 5th, 2009, 22:10
I'm trying to find a decent quake port that can read Quake (Full) with the CDDA Audio ... does the Titanium Studios Version do this?

dcdood
October 5th, 2009, 22:12
(and a question on an unrelated note:)Why is CDI the popular format for dreamcast when ISO is more common?

JLF65
October 6th, 2009, 03:27
(and a question on an unrelated note:)Why is CDI the popular format for dreamcast when ISO is more common?

DC discs use two sessions, and ISO can't handle that. You could make an ISO with only the DC program and data, but then you'd have to make the other session and write it all as a two-step process. CDI and Nero can handle multiple sessions, so they're the most common image formats you'll find for the DC.

beetroot bertie
October 6th, 2009, 10:34
I dunno about the audio aspect as I never tried to include it, but you can add the original full game PAK1 file from an original copy of Quake to HexQuake for DC. It's pretty good and looks decent as it's using the Open GL version and is VGA compatible.

I think you have to rename the PAK1 that's already with HexQuake as PAK2 and then add the full original PAK1 file to the same ID1 folder.

I did this using the Mac version of Quake but I'd imagine it's the same process for the PC version.

I did the rest on a Mac but from what I can remember I used Mac Dream Tools to create a selfboot file which was burned in Toast. I'm sure the PC has something similar or maybe easier to achieve the same thing. Bootdreams maybe.

There's some info here about a non-selfboot version with music:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/fragger/

Hope it helps.