PDA

View Full Version : problem after upgarding to 2.6!

danoz
May 20th, 2006, 19:53
hi,

I have PSP with version 2.
I downgraded it to 1.5 and everything was great.
then I upgarded it to 2.6, and it start loading to 99% and then froze. I powered it again and the screen was black. It doesn't work.

I took it to the official service provider in my country and they told me the warranty doesn't hold for this and I should pay about 100$ for burning the original version or something.

what should I do?

Cooe14
May 20th, 2006, 20:07
1. take out the battery for a while.
2. try to charge it.
3. if nothing works you probably bricked your psp.

F0L
May 20th, 2006, 22:28
Id try and blag it, they dont know you had 1.5 on it. As it would have been overwritten. Unless you done the silly thing of telling them.

Plus, I wouldnt have just upgraded straight to 2.6 from 1.5. As we know upping and downing 1.5 and 2.0.
So would be logical to upgrade to 2.0, then check it, then update to 2.6.

1 important thing is, NEVER download an update. Get it off a game UMD. I dont trust downloading firmwares, not even off SONY`s site.

kyle2194
May 20th, 2006, 23:16
Has Sony ever heard of MD5 sums?

tsurumaru
May 21st, 2006, 01:10
Id try and blag it, they dont know you had 1.5 on it. As it would have been overwritten. Unless you done the silly thing of telling them.

Plus, I wouldnt have just upgraded straight to 2.6 from 1.5. As we know upping and downing 1.5 and 2.0.
So would be logical to upgrade to 2.0, then check it, then update to 2.6.

1 important thing is, NEVER download an update. Get it off a game UMD. I dont trust downloading firmwares, not even off SONY`s site.

Definitely your best option, remove any homebrew from your MS. Notice when you try to upgrade you are told you must have your mains adaptor plugged in? This is to ensure that a power down could not interupt your firmware being flashed (which sounds what happened to you, although how I don't know [corrupt Firmware?]).
I would then say that you had a power cut whilst you were upgrading and the update failed (unlikely but actually possible). Sony must have a contingency for this occurence.

F0L
May 21st, 2006, 11:38
Definitely your best option, remove any homebrew from your MS. Notice when you try to upgrade you are told you must have your mains adaptor plugged in? This is to ensure that a power down could not interupt your firmware being flashed (which sounds what happened to you, although how I don't know [corrupt Firmware?]).
I would then say that you had a power cut whilst you were upgrading and the update failed (unlikely but actually possible). Sony must have a contingency for this occurence.

To be honest if you had a power cut it should still continue flashing until your battery ran out, dont think SONY would be that stupid that it screws up cause of a power cut even though the battery has power.

As for the MD5, yes they have, but that dont mean c**p to me. I dont trust anything I download, unless I scanning it a few times, and even then im still worried.

From what the original posted states, its done the same thing itdoes when downdraging. Gets 99% (first time you c**p yourself), then it crashes. Maybe this part actually didscrew up your PSP. I would have personally used the demo disc update, that came with it. i.e. V2.0 on the European 1st Demo disc. Then updated via a game to 2.60 or 2.70 as I stated before.

But ultimately, if you updated to 99% then all trace of the downgrade would be lost. So you could argue that it screwed up while upgrading from 2.01 (for example), They have to prove it. They cant call you a lier without poof. I know this cause Im and engineer myself. I have caught to customers out, when they tried flashing their Philips MP3 Players. Lucky for them it had a failsafe flash, hich let it work to the point it could be flashed with correct firmware. Be nice if SONY adopted this method.

tsurumaru
May 21st, 2006, 12:03
To be honest if you had a power cut it should still continue flashing until your battery ran out, dont think SONY would be that stupid that it screws up cause of a power cut even though the battery has power.

I forgot to add that I'd say that I'd just plugged it in to charge after a long gaming session.... (Thats not inconceivable either).

F0L
May 21st, 2006, 13:58
I forgot to add that I'd say that I'd just plugged it in to charge after a long gaming session.... (Thats not inconceivable either).

That confuses me, as you cant flash firmware unless you have AC and fully charged battery. Everytime I have flashed it has refused to do it, unless both AC and battery are connected / full.

IndianCheese
May 21st, 2006, 21:46

My opinion is exactly the opposite. If you are updating with a UMD, a bunch of things could go wrong. You hit the open switch, update fails. Laser or spinner breaks, update fails. Piece of dust on disc, update fails. Scratch on disc, update fails. I ALWAYS update with Memory Sticks.

That confuses me, as you cant flash firmware unless you have AC and fully charged battery. Everytime I have flashed it has refused to do it, unless both AC and battery are connected / full.

SXT Version Changer always works with low bat/no AC. I think it is that fact that many programs prevent flashing unless ac is connected and that it has nothing to do with hardware prevention.

IndianCheese
May 21st, 2006, 21:53
OK, so about the actual bricking...

You bricked it. Usually when something like this happens, it is because you used a program such as XFlash to mod something in your firmware. Before updating, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS undo any flash changes. Backgrounds should be set to default, menu tags should be default, Network Update should be enabled, game boots, openings, system sounds, fonts, and everything else should be set to default. After all that is done, go to settings > system settings > restore default settings to change back all of your settings, too. Then you should update.

I feel bad for you and worried for me now. Hope you get a new one.