PDA

View Full Version : GameCube controller on a DC?

ptr.exe
January 29th, 2005, 19:04
Since the buttons on a GC pad are very similar to a DC pad (ABXY, pressure L+R buttons, D-pad, Analogue, Start) and since you can get PS2 to GC pad cables, does anyone know where i could buy one? or even better how to make one?

Thanks.

ptr.exe
January 29th, 2005, 19:07
Sorry i just read that and i missed a bit out (in bold) and theres no edit button, it should say...

"Since the buttons on a GC pad are very similar to a DC pad (ABXY, pressure L+R buttons, D-pad, Analogue, Start) and since you can get PS2 to GC pad cables,can you get an adaptor for a GC pad to work on a DC? maybe even get a WaveBird to work. does anyone know where i could buy one? or even better how to make one?"

semicolo
January 30th, 2005, 19:46
Maybe with a GC to Ps and a PS to DC
The bus used on DC is a bit pecular, I've never heard of homemade maple bus adapters.
The only controller mods I've seen are made by soldering directly on switches of a real dc controller.

Christuserloeser
January 30th, 2005, 19:57
http://www.wolfsoft.de

- they'll do anything u tell them, but it won't be for free ;)
They do quality work though *8)

Otherwise I'd try what Semicolo suggested.

Mental2k
January 31st, 2005, 12:31
And you can use the "modify" button located in the upper right corner of your post to edit it, this has been a public service announcement by your friendly mental2k

Mental2k
January 31st, 2005, 12:32
pity that site is in german. I cant read german. gah

ptr.exe
January 31st, 2005, 16:52
sorry, didnt notice the modify button as im used to an 'edit' button.

yeah i may buy a PS/DC and a PS/GC and figure out where each wire connects and make a smaller neater adaptor.

The DC controller is really weird though as the R+L bottons and analogue use what appear to be magnets, i've never seen them on another controller, hopefully it'll be compatible.

If the WaveBird works i'll be well pleased, i'll let you know how i get along.

ptr.exe
February 1st, 2005, 18:08
Also does anyone have one of those PS/DC controller adaptors like the ones on lik-sang.com? if so does it have any circuitry inside it or is it a direct link between the two ends?

i dont really wanna spend £10 on something i may not need as if i bought one it would only be to figure out the pin-outs and what goes where, however if theres a board in there then i'll have to buy it.

semicolo
February 5th, 2005, 22:59
There must be some circuitry inside such an adaptor, ps and dc controllers use very different communication protocols

ptr.exe
February 8th, 2005, 20:00
yeah, your probably right. i thought this would be a simple case of joining two sets of wires, now its getting more and more expensive, with a GC extension lead for the GC female, PS to GC adaptor to figure out the pinout, PS to DC adaptor and the only place i can find that sells one is lik-sang and its a tenner - bit much for a simple adaptor for a console thats six years old.

At least when i get round to it i could write a tut. possibly showing how to make the circuit, i'm guessing it uses mostly basic easy-to-find components.

semicolo
February 8th, 2005, 23:48
well the maple bus is rather complicated, one would need a cpld/fpga or uController in my opinion, maybe some work for an old pic 16f84 or atmel avr.

ptr.exe
February 9th, 2005, 16:37
??? its funny how little of that i understood ;D oh well i think im just gonna not bother, now back to trying to figure out where i can put even more leds on my DC....

Electric_Monk
February 18th, 2005, 01:25
The bus used on DC is a bit pecular, I've never heard of homemade maple bus adapters.

I'm working on a homemade maple bus adapter, although I don't know if I'll ever finish it (I tend to stop and start projects at random when I have the notion). If I can get it to work I'm going to make a Dreamcast controller to USB adapter, but with the intention of other projects later (like extending the USB adapter to support the Dreamcast VMU and rumble packs for a start) ;)

FrierTuck
April 6th, 2005, 04:17
for anyone who cares you can use google to translate web pages

Kamjin
April 6th, 2005, 09:17
well the maple bus is rather complicated, one would need a cpld/fpga or uController in my opinion, maybe some work for an old pic 16f84 or atmel avr.

if it was something like a sega/nintendo to maple side you could probably use an f84, it should have enough bandwith to pull it off, but adding in the GC side it'll probably be hard..you'll probably have to jump to a faster chip..

Monk, What are you using to create the maple interface (PLD's or Uctlr)?