PDA

View Full Version : dreamcast internall fan

gymguy24
January 4th, 2005, 02:09
Hey everyone whats up got a quick question. My fan inside my dc is starting to go i can tell cause its making some crazy loud noises.Just wandering if there are any compatable pc fans that will work be it laptop or cpu fans.If so a model # or a place that sells them would be great .If not how bad would it be for me to remove the fan completely? Thanks for the help

gymguy24
January 4th, 2005, 03:23
well i answered one of my own questions u cant just unplug the fan must be a system safety feature unplug the fan the dc doesent go past the sega logo screen any one out there got any info on fixing this?

STC-Fan
January 5th, 2005, 11:42
I'm no expert on DC innards (heck, I've never even seen inside one), but I seriously doubt Sega used a proprietary fan in there. Just take a measurement of the diagonal and the width of the fan and look around in a PC supplies / parts shop like Maplin (if you're in the UK) for one the same size.

BTW, you can buy them seperately. Coolermaster, Thermaltake and a bunch of other brands of fans can be bought in Maplin, doesn't really matter which as they're all perfectly good. And make sure the plugs are the same too. If not, you could probably cut the plug off the dodgy fan (leaving a few centimetres of wire free), then strip the plug off the new fan (again, don't take too much wire off) and the insulation around the wires.

Then solder the wires together so that it's the same colour wire to the same colour wire, and wrap some tape around them to keep them insulated. Sorted (hopefully). But as I don't know much about the insides of DC's, there's a possibility that I MIGHT BE WRONG. :P

ptr.exe
January 23rd, 2005, 06:59
i have the same problem, iwas going to buy something similar,wire it to the plugs and have an external fan with some sort of adapter, but that would look rubbish :-/ so i'll probably do what he said take my fan to maplins and see if they have one of similar size.

Oh by the way, don't take you fan out after about 10 mins play your DC will be fried, happened to me when my PS2 fan broke.

Does anyone know why the DC fan has 3 wires coming out of it? i thought it was earthed but then its earthed through the mobo shield, is it for the security thing to see if the fan is connected?

kylelear
February 8th, 2005, 18:58
One of the connectors is probably a speed controller.