PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Media Update

realg187
October 7th, 2009, 01:24
I got my 360 in and I can load files off USB or the DVD Drive. Currently I have my PSP plugged into a USB port and a burned data DVD with some DIVX files.

When I try to play the MP4s off my PSP for the DIVX files it says a media update is required and to go on Xbox Live.

My console is modded, so what is a safe way I get a media update without bricking or getting banned?

VampDude
October 7th, 2009, 21:35
I'm guessing your console is modified for reasons of piracy (not supported by this community), because otherwise you wouldn't have any problems with updating...

You should update however you updated the last time.

Also, this is the wrong section.

realg187
October 7th, 2009, 21:45
I'm guessing your console is modified for reasons of piracy
I don't know why you say that, what makes you say that? I am talking about playing media not games and this has nothing to with that.

I just got this thing and don't know what's up with it.

I wanna play backups, but they aren't working so maybe it's not modded. It has fans and lights.

The reason I don't wanna update is if it is modded after all I don't wanna get banned.

Also from http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page:

Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing Homebrew

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at http://free60.org/ will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.

Free60 (www.free60.org) is a project that aims to enable Xbox 360 users to run homebrew applications and operating systems like Linux on their consoles. The effort is headed by Felix Domke and Michael Steil, who have a background in dbox2, Xbox and GameCube hacking, and who have spoken at various conferences about their findings. Two years ago, Free60 released a hack that allowed arbitrary code execution using a game ("King Kong Hack") as well as an adapted version of Linux, but this possibility has been disabled by Microsoft in subsequent updates of the Xbox 360 software.

Also, this is the wrong section.
Where is the right section, I see 3 Xbox news forums that I can't post it and this isn't news.

beetroot bertie
October 7th, 2009, 22:07
There's a Xbox 360 Discussion Forum but it's buried as a sub-forum of the Xbox 360 News Forum (don't ask why, it makes no sense to me and is probably why it doesn't get as much traffic as it could).

Unfortunately (to the best of my knowledge) you have to connect to Live to get the optional media update for DIVX playback.

If it's just a fan mod then you should be fine. I have a whisper max fan in my 360 because the stock fan stopped working properly and connecting to live has not thrown up any issue so far.

If it's modified any further then you might be out of luck.

realg187
October 7th, 2009, 22:17
That's the thing, I don't know how modded it is.

I also don't have live (or a storage device needed to get one). Do you have to have a paid member ship for get the update, I don't wanna pay for something I get for free on my XBox 1, PSP, and computer. Could I get the update off XLink Kai?