PDA

View Full Version : how do you programa DC game in C/C++?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
May 22nd, 2006, 10:04
ive got this guide called

C Primer Plus, Fifth Edition
By Stephen Prata
written in 2004 and im just not sure were its all headed. All ive done well was the dos (black board looking screen) and even then it was up for a milisecond if at all so that was deffinently a problem.

id say im at chapter six but im not sure what im gonna get from this all :( how am i gonna make the transition from PC to DC? How about lan tutorials? how do i give a game online multiplayer? were do i even start?

id love to sit down and watch someone show on a video them making the simplest of programs and explaing each step..

ßüboni¢ $oñic
May 24th, 2006, 09:17
omg 44 views and no respons?!

this forum sux dick and ur sites a graveyard! ****in bullshit

That Guy
May 24th, 2006, 18:00
Sorry dude I don't quite know how to program for the DC yet, but as far as I can tell the reason that you haven't received any responses is because you are asking a little too much. The book you say you are reading sounds kind of week and I think they just want to save you some frustration. Besides from what I can gather so far about how you program on the Dreamcast the simple little video that you are requesting could take upwards of an hour or two to both make and watch. I would say post again with a slightly more focused topic and then see what kind of response you get.

Darksaviour69
May 24th, 2006, 22:04
Not everyone is a coder! wait a while for a responce, and do not flame!

44 view is not much some of our topics have e.g. 84,754 views!

ßüboni¢ $oñic
May 26th, 2006, 03:37
what the oldest views got that many?

and i dont think a video would be that troublesome. only stuck up programmers would argue that bullshit. i get a response from "the guy" and its probally his 1st and only post...

Dull Blade
May 27th, 2006, 00:30
I'm going to have to object to your language. you don't have to flame on others, and belittle other who dont post as often. this is only my 52nd post but I've been using home brew since early 2004. I originally didn't use the forms that often. I've been trying to learn how to program games for almost a year, its like trying to learn a forgin language. + if you use the search function of the form, there are quite a few tutorials.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
May 30th, 2006, 18:32
im gonna have to object to your objection. there are about 130 ppl that are registered on right now. yet these forums are like a damn graveyard. this is legit frustration so dont apply internet warrior terms to it, "flame". uve been learnin for almost a year? join the club!:mad: wqe need a visual course if this community for h-bru is to ever survive without lingering/turmoil. whycant the higher ups just do it?

Darksaviour69
May 31st, 2006, 10:57
out of those 130 i'm guess 100 don't own a dreamcast (and therefore don't check the dreamcast section of the forum) and i guessing only 5 or so know anything about coding...

the only thing i can say is try these links
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2834

btw flaming the fourm will just make users that can help you not want to reply to your post

That Guy
June 13th, 2006, 12:14
I don't even know if you are still checking this post but I have some more words of wisdom for you.

If you are truly serious about programming a game for the dc you need to learn more than what you will from a c primer.

Check the forums for open source emus and apps and spend some time getting acquainted with the system calls they use.

Know what you are trying to program on. You are going to be trying to write a piece of software for an Hitachi 200mhz SH4 processor, go online and find a manual for this processor that explains what registers it has, how it pipelines and so on.

Also besides just learning C, delve into assembly and machine language. Both of these extremely low level languages are the basis for everything and are the key to writing efficient code that would process well on the DC or any other small system for that matter.

a third route to explore is learning what you can about Windows CE, or K.O.S or even versions of Linux that have been compiled for the DC. After that you know what environment you can work with and what kind of system you would be utilizing.

I still say that the kind of visual tutorial that you propose would take to long to make and would really be very difficult to do effectively. If anything it would have to be a series of videos kind of like a "mister wizard" for the Dreamcast.

I really did not mean to upset you before but as far as I can tell that’s quite easy to do.

Good luck and remember to have fun this is supposed to be a hobby, i.e. something you enjoy.

yaustar
June 14th, 2006, 21:17
ive got this guide called

C Primer Plus, Fifth Edition
By Stephen Prata
written in 2004 and im just not sure were its all headed. All ive done well was the dos (black board looking screen) and even then it was up for a milisecond if at all so that was deffinently a problem.

id say im at chapter six but im not sure what im gonna get from this all :( how am i gonna make the transition from PC to DC? How about lan tutorials? how do i give a game online multiplayer? were do i even start?

id love to sit down and watch someone show on a video them making the simplest of programs and explaing each step..
I am going to give a 'general' answer:
Currently learning C using which compiler/IDE? The console is going to be your main API till you have learnt the basics, these usually are:

variables
if/else statements
switch statements
while loops
for loops
functions
return by value
parameter passing
pointers

Once you have learnt all these, then you can move to a graphics API. AFAIK, the dreamcast has SDL libraries so learning SDL on the PC will make it far more easier to port your stuff from PC to Dreamcast/Anything that supports SDL libraries.

yaustar
June 14th, 2006, 22:53
im gonna have to object to your objection. there are about 130 ppl that are registered on right now. yet these forums are like a damn graveyard. this is legit frustration so dont apply internet warrior terms to it, "flame". uve been learnin for almost a year? join the club!:mad: wqe need a visual course if this community for h-bru is to ever survive without lingering/turmoil. whycant the higher ups just do it?
Wrong attritude to use. This isn't primary a developers forum and hence developer like questions don't get answered very often. As for the 'higher ups', where do you think the tutorials online and SDKs come from? Do you really need to be hand fed information? You are going to need to put in a lot more effort then you are showing here to get where you want to go.

At the moment, you are trying to run before walking, forget lan, forget online multiplayer, forget the dreamcast, heck even forget about fancy graphics at the moment.

Your first step should be making a small text based game in console such as hangman or mastermind. Move on to snake (yes it is possible in the console) building up your knowledge of data structures then we can start talking about graphics. Wherever you go, this will be the general response you will get.

As far video tutorials, Microsoft have some on C# for developing games, different language but some material is still relevent. Gamedev.net is currently holding C++ workshops. Lazyfoo has a good set of SDL tutorials. nehe has plenty of OpenGL tutorials as well as Cone3D. DevC++, Codeblocks and Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express Edition are all free IDEs with compilers to download and use. Lots of free tutorials on various languages (http://allfreetutorials.com/index.htm
). Video tutorials about someone programming, not going to work, how fun is it going to be to watch someone type code to the screen. You really want seminars or person to person interactivity. At the same time, not everyone is using the same OS, IDE, compiler.

There is also no point telling us that you are on Chapter X onr XXXX book, not everyone has that book, what is chapter 6 about? You mantion that you have a problem, give more details and source code so we can help you.

As for homebrew dying, people are still developing for the Atari 2600 and that was out 20 years ago.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 23rd, 2006, 06:18
Wrong attritude to use. This isn't primary a developers forum and hence developer like questions don't get answered very often. As for the 'higher ups', where do you think the tutorials online and SDKs come from? Do you really need to be hand fed information? You are going to need to put in a lot more effort then you are showing here to get where you want to go.

At the moment, you are trying to run before walking, forget lan, forget online multiplayer, forget the dreamcast, heck even forget about fancy graphics at the moment.

Your first step should be making a small text based game in console such as hangman or mastermind. Move on to snake (yes it is possible in the console) building up your knowledge of data structures then we can start talking about graphics. Wherever you go, this will be the general response you will get.

As far video tutorials, Microsoft have some on C# for developing games, different language but some material is still relevent. Gamedev.net is currently holding C++ workshops. Lazyfoo has a good set of SDL tutorials. nehe has plenty of OpenGL tutorials as well as Cone3D. DevC++, Codeblocks and Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express Edition are all free IDEs with compilers to download and use. Lots of free tutorials on various languages (http://allfreetutorials.com/index.htm
). Video tutorials about someone programming, not going to work, how fun is it going to be to watch someone type code to the screen. You really want seminars or person to person interactivity. At the same time, not everyone is using the same OS, IDE, compiler.

There is also no point telling us that you are on Chapter X onr XXXX book, not everyone has that book, what is chapter 6 about? You mantion that you have a problem, give more details and source code so we can help you.

As for homebrew dying, people are still developing for the Atari 2600 and that was out 20 years ago.

ok ok. i see my mistakes. i made note of that. i guess im through with that book. i still think the best way to learn is thru visuals and i aim to promote it.

now xsure ppl still make atari games thats fine. dc games that belong on an atari is NOT fine. I want to spread cheap and indespencable knowledge throughout this community to stimulate growth and evolution. tetris rip offs arnt my idea of the future.

this file will give you a good idea of what i seek to promote. http://dl1.3dbuzz.com/buzz_dl.php?file=768