PDA

View Full Version : Strange VGA mod problem....

spinksy
October 9th, 2009, 16:23
Right now I have just finished making the internal VGA mod for my Dreamcast and have just tryed it out, however I'm having a few random problems??

It works ok but sometimes (particularly if you move the switch wires AT ALL - I mean the tinyest knock) and then the screen will go off or flicker. I know the wires are soldered to the switch fine so can't be that.

Also the actual switch I put in dosent really work? If in VGA mode and you flick the switch it stays in VGA mode (should go off shouldnt it as I'm breaking the connection?) I followed this guide and am sure I've done everything correctly as I checked everything about 5 times.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-vga.htm

Instead of linking the earths on the VGA switch I considered putting 2 seperate earths but thats all I can think of that may effect it - anyone any ideas?

Thanks

JLF65
October 9th, 2009, 19:37
Sounds like either the soldering job is bad somewhere (maybe the DC instead of the switch), or a wire has a slight break in it.

And no, the video shouldn't go off when you flip the switch. The switch only changes the level of an input that is checked by the video library to see what kind of cable is attached. It's usually only checked when something first starts, then ignored from then on.