PDA

View Full Version : Running CFW 5.03 GEN-A

eyedee
October 15th, 2009, 12:05
Hi, as I explained in another post I am quite new to this so apologies if this question sounds lame. I'd rather ask and be sure rather than bricking my PSP-3003 though!

When loading the CFW 5.03 GEN-A do you have to press L or R (followed by the Circle button) once EACH time you want to run the program.

For instance;

You turn the PSP on so that it is running the official Sony FW 5.03.

You then run ChickHen R2 and then run CFW 5.03 GEN-A by pressing L once and then the Circle button.

Then you turn the PSP off and when you turn it back on it is running the official Sony FW 5.03 again.

You run ChickHEN R2 again and then want to run the CFW 5.03 GEN-A... so do you press L once again and then press Circle, or do you only press Circle because you pressed L once when you ran CFW 5.03 GEN-A in the past?

I'm guessing you have to press L or R once EACH time you run the CFW 5.03 GEN-A, but I just want to be sure so that I don't damage or brick my PSP! Thanks for your help and your patience! :)

eyedee
October 15th, 2009, 16:33
The question must be simple to answer for anyone who used the CFW 5.03 GEN-A. Please can someone confirm the answer. I would guess the answer is to press L or R just once EACH time you load up the CFW, but I would like to be sure before I load it up again.

Cheers.

dante221
October 20th, 2009, 04:21
PSP-3000's can't be modded right now. Sony placed chips on the motherboard that prevents it

eyedee
October 21st, 2009, 15:11
I figured it all out. My PSP 3003 is now running ChickHEN R2 and CFW 5.03 GEN-A perfectly.

I'm so pleased I can run my old PSX games which I've ripped from my old discs.

I'm less pleased that I have to upgrade my PSP 3003's official firmware to the newest version so that I can log into my Sony account if I want to run the Remote Play option from my PS3. But if I upgrade the official firmware I won't be able to play any of my PSX games after all the work I did converting them all. And I guess it means that new games like Gran Turismo probably require a firmware update to allow you to play them, and as soon as you do that you take away the homebrew functionality again. When it comes to the PSP and it's abilities, Sony really suck.

I would sell my 3003 and get an older machine, but I don't know which older PSP to go for and I don't want to buy the wrong one, so I'll stick with the 3003 for the moment. Maybe a hack will be written for the newer official firmware that is 3000 compatible. Fingers crossed!

Shrygue
October 21st, 2009, 22:19
If you want an older PSP, get a PSP 1003 model. It's the first model that came out and is guaranteed hackable. However, it's bigger than the 3003 but that probably may not matter too much.

If you prefer something closer to the PSP 3003, then get the 2003, also known as the PSP Slim and Lite. Make sure to get one that has a date code between 7A to to no higher than 8B. The date code is found inside the battery compartment. Codes higher than mentioned indicate partially hackable or totally unhackable units. You can find the 2003 models at Gamestation stores, the GAME stores don't sell them used unless you get lucky.

eyedee
October 22nd, 2009, 11:37
That's great info, thanks man. I'm going to see if I can find a 1000 model cheap and then keep my 3000 too. Then I can use the 3000 for official stuff and the 1000 for custom gaming.

I'm guessing that it doesn't matter what PSP model you own the OFW upgrade problem remains the same? I mean, if I buy a 1003 model I'll have to downgrade the OFW to install the CFW to play homebrew. And then if I want to connect to my PS3 boa remote access or whatever the PSP will tell me I have to upgrade to the newest OFW again, which wont allow me use the CFW anymore. Is that right or have I missed something?!?

Shrygue
October 22nd, 2009, 22:08
If the PSP's firmware is over version 2.80, then yes you can't easily use downgraders to get to v1.50 for installing CFW. Since the likelihood of getting a PSP with 2.80 or less, the workaround is to buy a pandora battery (doesn't cost much) and use this program (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1623) to make a magic memory stick. You'll see what I mean when you look into it.

As for the Playstation Network, yes you won't be able to access if the custom firmware version is lower that what Sony expects (unless a CFW revision allows otherwise, until Sony patches that up server side). Still, if you're keeping the 3000, you'll still have access with that one on official firmware.

eyedee
October 23rd, 2009, 11:59
I've heard you can make your own 'Pandora' style battery, so I'll be looking into that - otherwise I'll just buy one if it's too difficult/risky. Been looking at PSP 1000's and surprised at how much cash they can fetch. Even worn and battered ones seem to fetch over £60. Anyway, I'll pick one up when I've got the funds.

Thanks for the advice and the MMS link, it's much appreciated. :thumbup: