PDA

View Full Version : New Dreamcast Magazine - Please note interest here.

MAXIMUSpowers
October 20th, 2009, 16:29
Hi, I am thinking about starting a new dreamcast magazine and would like some input. I am a graphic artist and experienced with print. My aim is to make a small A5 magazine with 15-25 pages - nothing too adventurous. The Magazine will either be every 2 months or quarterly. Contained in this magazine will be memories from the past and information regarding new dreamcast games, mods, development and much more. I think this would be something really cool.

If i decent to undertake this project I will be looking for many helpers to be involved.

My main question to you is would this be of interest to you? If so how much would you be willing to pay for such a magazine? This will give me an idea of how much to spend on printing and what percentage to have in colour. As this magazine will not be printed in extremely large quantities, the printing can be expensive.

I do not aim to make a profit from this but I also do not want to lose money either. For this reason would people consider pre-ordering the magazine after seeing a preview of each monthly issue?

Any suggestions would be great. Please note you interest.

spinksy
October 20th, 2009, 16:54
I would definatley buy it but I don't think you will get that much interest to be honest - I've only been a member on aload of DC sites for a few months but I can see they are all slowing down.......

I hope they don't....

MAXIMUSpowers
October 20th, 2009, 17:13
Hey spinksy. What do you think would be a reasonable price which would also include postage?

Darksaviour69
October 21st, 2009, 01:05
this might be a hard one to get going as it was tried before, even preorders were taken..... But it never came out and there was a scandal that they money was used for something else, but ultimately the money was refunded

was called (or to be called) dream on

here is some info on it:
http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/dreamcast-shareware-via-dream-on-magazine-22161.html
http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/dream-on-magazine-and-demo-disc-available-september-18-2005-8529.html
http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/dcgp-2005-merges-into-dream-on-2-7289.html

edit: btw if it was done any were near half decent, I would be willing to buy it, but I'm a bit broke at the mo.

beetroot bertie
October 22nd, 2009, 14:30
You might have more luck (but less money) by releasing it as a free downloadable PDF rather than going to the cost of getting it printed.

You could make a bit with donations if you're happy artworking it for nowt anyway, and you'll probably get a wider distribution this way at no cost. Maybe DC Emu could even host it for you? You could perhaps start this way and see how it takes off, using it as a way to judge demand. That way all you're losing would be you're spare time etc rather than the cost for a print run.

If I'm being honest though, it's probably not something I would buy.

That said, I'd love to read some new reviews of DC games, especially now there's some historical context.

MAXIMUSpowers
October 22nd, 2009, 19:44
The reason the Dream On CD Magazine didnt came out was because the coder vanished. Im only really interested in releasing it via print. Ill look into the cost. Ideally im aiming to sell the magazine for around £3.50 plus postage.

Would you be willing to pay this for 28 page magazine?

spinksy
October 22nd, 2009, 23:33
I'll definatley buy it ;)