PDA

View Full Version : DCastaway - resolutions and some bugs

Starscream
May 28th, 2006, 22:14
I finally got around to burn the latest version and test a lot of games with it. Here's what I've found and like to know:

- High resolution. Not supported yet. Any plans for it in the future? Would be nice mostly for PD-Titles.

- Mid-resolution. Not playable, sorry. The scaling looks just too bad. Games that would benefit are mostly adventures (eg. Guild of thieves) and quite some strategy titles (e.g Empire, balance of power 90 etc.), as well as some card/board games.

Isn't it possible to do this like in the Steem-emulator, double height/no stretch mode? That looks pretty good, I wouldn't mind borders if the DCs 640 x 480 is used.

Low-resolution. Most games work. I've tested over 200+ (Tos 1.04)

Some menus/images have issues, all of these don't appear in Steem, so the disks themselves are ok I suppose.

- Leavin Teramis, Enchanted Land, Warp and Wings of Death (Tosec/Empire crack) don't work. Crash/Black screen. All of these are Thaolin games, Enchanted land is supposed to work in Steem only with a special patch, so I guess that's very hard to fix.

Other stuff that doesn't work properly (just black screen after booting, looping after selecting in menu etc.)

- Back to the golden Age (Tosec/elite) .
- Shinobi (Tosec/rebels)
- Apprentice (Zuul)
- Sokoban (Zuul)
- Blue war 3 (automation)
- the deep (Bad brew crew). Tries to create a Ram-disk, but this seems to take forever.

- Chase Hq (Vectronix)

- Kingmaker (Tosec/Cynix)

- Garfield big fat hairey deal (Tosec). Control issue, doesn't recognize input after loading.

Escape of the planet of the robot monsters (Tosec/hotline).
The game wants to have a 2. disk inserted - but there isn't one. It's all on one disk, after pressing space, nothing happens. The disc-change message doesn't even appear in Steem.

Some other stuff I need to verify, but in general compatibility is very high, probably at least 95%.

There's also a strange general bug with mouse control via analogstick that sometimes occurs. Sometimes the ST mouse seems to have a small limited radius, after moving around the cursor the radius gets bigger until you can move it freely. This isn't a fatal bug, but it's sometimes annoying.

Anyway, hope that helps and you can fix some of this for the next release, it's already very good but not perfect :)

-

chui
May 30th, 2006, 10:30
At future (not near) i want to implement for DCaSTaway:

- Use PVR hardware scaling for all resolutions.
- Adapt to FAME 68k core for growing compatibility and speed.
- Fix control bugs like mouse window and joystick problems (R-Type).
- Change menu skin and add submenus (control, more disks management options, ...)

Ah! 'Wings of Death' works fine, it is my preferred game. Maybe using automation disk.

Starscream
May 30th, 2006, 22:16
Oh, Wings of Death works? Cool, I'll probably get some alternate versions of some games later anyway. As I said, most work, so I'm looking forward to the future releases and play stuff like Rainbow Islands with the current release. :D
Thanks for your efforts.

chui
May 31st, 2006, 00:10
Rainbow Islands works fine, automation too.

Zherae
June 4th, 2006, 18:52
At future (not near) i want to implement for DCaSTaway:

- Use PVR hardware scaling for all resolutions.

Will this mean that the emulator will no longer run at 320x240?

chui
June 4th, 2006, 23:30
Yes, i want to use hardware scaled resolution for all atariST resolutions, so always 640x480.

buffy
August 12th, 2006, 23:22
If TOS 1.62 was used as the tos rom does it run as a STE ?
Just wondering if there is any know problem trying to run the emulator as a STE
I mainly want to run a STE only (i think ) game called Stone age