PDA

View Full Version : using the DC has a drive

guymelef
June 27th, 2004, 12:27
with problems with emu's and gdrom compatibility, i have two ideas.

1. somehow bust up a DC and turn it into a disc drive somehow.

2 just make better software and ip loaders that can use BBA's and coders cable.
what I mean is software that would be easier to use by fans such as myself that can't even seem to set up a dev inviroment so i could just plug my dc into my graphics card and run homebrew directly from windows.

MetaFox
June 27th, 2004, 13:17
with problems with emu's and gdrom compatibility, i have two ideas.

1. somehow bust up a DC and turn it into a disc drive somehow.The drive would be treated as a CD-ROM. The code to read GD-ROMs is programmed in the bios.

2 just make better software and ip loaders that can use BBA's and coders cable.
what I mean is software that would be easier to use by fans such as myself that can't even seem to set up a dev inviroment so i could just plug my dc into my graphics card and run homebrew directly from windows.It would work for homebrew only if the game is programmed to send it's data back from the DC to the coders cable. This obviously wouldn't work with any existing homebrew games, and it certainly wouldn't work with any commercial games. As for homebrew, this isn't really necessary since the media is on CD-ROM format and not GD-ROM - the authors just have to get better support for loading homebrew games via CD.

The best way to get Chanka to read GD-ROMs is to program a firmware update that enables some DVD-ROM drives to read GD-Rs. There was a project that aimed to do this, but I fear the release of Chankast might have dampened their spirits, and caused them to cancel the project.

vipor231
June 27th, 2004, 16:20
i deleted chankast off my computer i just play my dreamcast and run homebrew,etc on there :)

guymelef
June 28th, 2004, 00:56
the dvd-gdrom project sounds real cool
that would alleviate some of the warez concerns surounding the DC circuit. at least from my point of view