PDA

View Full Version : N64 Emulator is in the Works for iPhone & iPod Touch 3rd Gen Says Zodttd

User Name
November 2nd, 2009, 22:20
N64 emulator soon to be reality?

Zodttd, the developer for the iPhone and iPod Touch most famous for all his emulator such as GBA4iPhone, has announced that he is working on a Nintendo 64 emulator for the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3rd generation!

He says that Apple’s latest iDevices are finally fast enough for a Nintendo 64 emulator so he has decided to start working on one.

Naturally there are all the doubts about how fast it will play and how you will control the joystick plus all those buttons (such as the Z-button) but regardless, if this comes out it will be simply awesome!

Here is a copy of the original announcement:

Yup, you heard correct. I am currently working on a port of N64 for the iPhone 3gs and iPod Touch 3rd Gen. Why only these two models? Two reasons:

* They’re the fastest Apple handhelds in term of raw CPU performance.
* They both have a faster GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) which allows for OpenGL ES 2.0 specifications.

So yes you may soon see N64 on your favorite Apple device. But I can’t promise it will run games top notch just yet, as things are too early to say. There’s hope though, with a 3D accelerated graphics plugin, as well as an ARM dynarec. If you have a previous generation device, I can use software rendering, but it will slow things down further, along with the slower CPU.

I’m somewhat light on details at the moment due to wanting to balance the hype. Things look good for this project though. Only thing I’m concerned about is currently software based controls. I would like to keep my current software based controls with overlays in use, if possible. And also, if icontrolpad.com finally managed to mass produce and release the controller for your iPhone 3GS, this could become the greatest thing ever!

Site Source http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2009/11/01/n64-emulator-is-in-the-works-for-iphone-ipod-touch-3rd-gen-says-zodttd/