PDA

View Full Version : Videogames Pwn Movies

wraggster
June 3rd, 2006, 13:01
Article from IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/711/711118p1.html)

Most any IGN reader knows that these new-fangled videogame tapes aren't the anti-female, gore-filled playthings of violence-obsessed social pariahs most senators would have the world believe. Now there is science to back you up.

Frank Alpert, a Professor of Marketing at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia, has just released the findings of his study on videogames, titled Entertainment Software: Suddenly Huge, Little Understood.

"It's only been around for about 25 years yet the entertainment software industry now outsells the movie box office," Alpert said.

According to the study videogame sales would outstrip CD sales in a few years time, mainly due to the increasing popularity of downloading music from the Internet.

His studies found that the average age of a game player was 33 and that women comprised 38% of players.

Action games are still the best-selling genre, but the most successful game brand of all time is Will Wrights' peaceful, virtual people series The Sims. According to Alpert the series popular is because there is no violence. "It's a far broader audience because it's about human relationships."

Despite the massive popularity of videogames, Alpert is aware of the need for literature and knowledge about this young but rapidly growing industry. "A lot of older people didn't grow up with it, don't play it and don't understand it. A lot of a younger people aren't yet in a position to write about it."

Prof Alpert plans to approach the Queensland government in an attempt to secure funding for further research into the videogame industry.

Emeriastone
June 4th, 2006, 20:32
Hey, I like both, so I won't debate between the two...

Vegetable
June 4th, 2006, 21:00
I hope the government doesn't waste their money on this Internet researching moron when our schools are going down the ****ing toilet.

Hawkeyefile
June 5th, 2006, 07:09
if you whant to learn about someone, THEN ASK HIM! (him meaning the gaming community, that would save a lot of money if you just put up a post on a forum board).