PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of Linux for PS3 Slim?

StryfeDc
November 15th, 2009, 03:32
Does any one know if there are people working on ways to install Linux on the PS3 Slim?

Of course, unofficially, making it a hack. Linux is open source after all, anyone should be free to install non-sony approved OSes on systems they physically own.

Being that I don't like buying used systems, I'd really like to get a PS3 capable of running homebrew, emulators, etc...

If not from Linux then from some sort of exploit maybe?

Eviltaco64
November 15th, 2009, 04:29
My guess is that we'd have to wait until the PS3 is fully hacked.

After that, I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of Linux projects for the PS3 Slim. :)

VampDude
November 20th, 2009, 21:46
At the moment NO... SONY took it away from the latest console model, possibly because they knew where it was heading. Though when the original PS3 consoles are fully hacked, with the entire understandings of programming for the console, there will be a Linux pack. But I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it being soon (maybe mid-2010 on an un-updated console - but my knowledge is limited), because the PS3 has been on the market for the same amount of time as the Wii and the Wii is the only console with a full homebrew compatible OS. Just like with the PSP systems, the older ones get hacked first and then soon after the latest models show their signs of weakness but the PS3 has no currently visible or exploitable weaknesses.