PDA

View Full Version : About to buy, am I getting the right things?

miteethor
June 8th, 2006, 18:54
Hi,

I've been doing my best to read up on what to get. At the moment I own nothing, here is what I would like to do:

1. Get a new Nintendo DS Lite when it's released this weekend in USA
2. I'd like to play NDS roms, GBA roms, and some older roms like SNES or NES, or even mame arcade type games. These need to run like the original games intended them to, with no slowdowns or crashes.
3. I'd like it to be as easy as possible to use - no booting or loading a new code every time I want to play something different.
4. Some homebrew apps look interesting but are less important than #2 and #3. I suppose an MP3 player app would be useful, etc.

Based on this, I think that means I need to get an M3 Mini-SD with Passkey2? The articled I've been reading indicate these will be fully compatiable with DS Lite and all the things I want to do. What I don't understand is how the Max Media Launcher fits in - do I need it if I get the passkey2? Or is that mostly for people who have older flash systems?

Any recommended sites for purchase that are reliable for USA residents?

Mazza
June 8th, 2006, 19:09
The max media launcher is just a smaller version of the Passkey 2 that doesn't stick out of the ds, plus it's cheaper so i recommend it.

miteethor
June 8th, 2006, 19:56
So my optimum purchase would be:

Brand new USA DS Lite
M3 Mini-SD
Max Media Launcher
2GB mini-sd card

And I'm set for NDS roms, GBA roms, homebrew apps, and emulators. I would have nothing sticking out of the bottom and everything would run at full speed with no reboots or reprogramming for every new game that comes out, correct?

Mazza
June 8th, 2006, 20:06
Yes, except that the M3 mini sd will stick out of the bottom because on the DS Lite even GBA carts stick out of the bottom. There isn't a cart available that won't.

SSaxdude
June 8th, 2006, 20:15
My cousin has a M3 adapter and it does indeed stick out a bit. Probably more so with the DS Lite. It's still sweet, though.

Mazza
June 8th, 2006, 20:23
the m3 mini sd adaptor is the same size as a gba cart so would't stick out of a regular ds but will on the ds lite

Vernonjr
June 8th, 2006, 21:20
"2. I'd like to play NDS roms, GBA roms, and some older roms like SNES or NES, or even mame arcade type games. These need to run like the original games intended them to, with no slowdowns or crashes."

I havent actually started using homebrew yet, however ive done some research and i do believe that very few snes games run at full speed, and currently there is not a mame emulator. As for your NDS, GBA, and NES roms, you should be fine.

I would say though, that its just a matter of time before they get fullspeed snes and mame emulators.

Just trying to give you a friendly heads up before you were unpleasantly suprised.

Mazza
June 8th, 2006, 21:30
all gba and nds roms run 100% speed because they are optimized for that system all nes games run full speed i think and most snes, settings can be tweaked to get it to work

miteethor
June 9th, 2006, 13:58
Thanks for the heads up. I know emulation isn't perfect, it would just be nice to run Super Metroid or Zelda or Super Mario World once in a while. I suppose I can always do the Four Swords or New Super Mario Bros to get my Nintendo 1st party fix.

V3N0M
June 9th, 2006, 14:07
Actualy i'm about to get a DS and would like to get homebrew running on it. Where can i buy all the stuff that i need here? BTW i live in the USA some where close to that would be appriciated. Oh and how much does everything co$t?

Vernonjr
June 9th, 2006, 17:44
You need three things Jman; a max media launcher (20$), an SD (or Flash, but SD works better usually) Card Cart (45$), and the SD (or CF) card (20-200$).

If you happen to have an sd card thats going to put you at 65 bucks plus shipping, if you dont it just depends on the size sd card you want, i would recommend no smaller than a gig.

For links check out the thread a few down called "homebrew on the cheap"

V3N0M
June 10th, 2006, 00:18
Thanx man. Is there a website i can go to to learn more on this? and buy what i need? it will be cool to get homebrew running on my DS. Oh and what does everything that i get for my DS (to make it so it can run homebrew) Do? Like were do i put everything and whats it purpose? BTW whats a passkey and what does it do? Thanx for all the help.

Vernonjr
June 10th, 2006, 02:42
You can learn a lot here http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Main_Page
and
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

A basic run down, before you dive in... The max media launcher will, as the title implies launch the executables, and its plugged in the ds slot. The sd card which slips into the sd card cart actual holds all of your programs and files. This cart is in your gba slot.

Passkey was the most effective method to launch the executables before Max Media Launcher came out. It is now outdated, and pretty much useless. Unfortunately however, some sites, such as dcemu dont udate their tutorials too often, and they still all say you need the passkey, which is severly outdated now.

V3N0M
June 10th, 2006, 03:23
Thanx alot hopefully all the homebrew works on the new DS lite. i'm getting it June 22. Oh and if you or anybody you know needs help with homebrew on psp.. Well just check my banner and i'm more than happy to help. Thanx

MPitt
June 10th, 2006, 06:22
You need three things Jman; a max media launcher (20$), an SD (or Flash, but SD works better usually) Card Cart (45$), and the SD (or CF) card (20-200$).

If you happen to have an sd card thats going to put you at 65 bucks plus shipping, if you dont it just depends on the size sd card you want, i would recommend no smaller than a gig.

For links check out the thread a few down called "homebrew on the cheap"

What website would you recommend for buying these things?

Mazza
June 10th, 2006, 09:01
www.divineo.com

MPitt
June 10th, 2006, 21:02
I think I just got those from eBay for about $100 or so USD. The GBP to USD was harsh :( But hopefully they arrive soon and I can get into the homebrew scene at last.

Ghengis
June 11th, 2006, 03:42
A thought for the OP: I just today bought a PSP used at Gamestop (US chain) for $180, and the DS Lite launches at (AFAIK) $130. I also got a 1GB MS Pro Duo for $40 -- total expenditure to get to homebrew/SNES emulation = $220. The lite needs a pass/nopass (~$25), card reader (~$40-50), and memory (~$20-100). So, at minimum, to get an SNES emu on a Lite costs you 130 + 25 + 40 + 20 = $215.

Now, there's some variables in there, and shipping/taxes may change things, but IMHO it's about the same price, and the PSP processor can run at up to 333 MHz, compared to (I think) 66 and 33 for the two ARMs in the DS.

I was going to get a DS for the longest time, but found out that SNES DS (there's an official baord for it at PocketHeaven, I think) runs a bit slow and doesn't have great game compatibility, while the PSP has 2 or 3 SNES emulators, one for N64, and one in the works for PSX -- that's right, original Playstation games!!! I don't know about you, but the day I can emulate Castlevania: SOTN (the disc is sitting right next to me...) on a handheld, I think I'll actually weep.

Vernonjr
June 11th, 2006, 04:16
Don't hold your breath on ever getting a very good n64 emulator. And the ps, dont expect to every get an emulator than can run the average game more than 5fps. The truth is, I dont think i would buy a nintendo ds or psp if all i was going to do was get into homebrew. But if you happen to already have a ds, (a lot of people do), and you already have an sd card (a lot of people do), then it will only run you like 65 to 70 bucks.