PDA

View Full Version : Playing DVD movies

SpudULike
November 26th, 2009, 22:14
Hi guys,
thanks to all you guys and the effort you have put into getting my Wii to do more than Nintendo would want me to. I am not a hacker or coder, just a humble user.

I am still struggling to get DVD movies to play on my Wii though.

My machine was recently updated to the 4.2e menu, done deliberately because I wanted access to the BBC iPlayer channel. Regardless of this, I have successfully installed BootMii (or is it HackMii - the one with the 4 icons at power-up time) and this claims to have also successfully installed DVDx. In the Homebrew channel I also have MPlayerCE with which I am trying to view my DVDs. Unfortunately, this doesn't seemed to be working, but I have no information as to why. Are there any log files I can browse to give me some clues? Should my machine be ready to play movies from DVD or do I need to take extra steps?

I am very confused about the need for the 'custom cIOS USB2' mentioned on the MPlayerCE website and the use of IOS i general. I get the impression these are mainly needed by those looking to run 'backup discs', something I am not interested in. If I do need this step then I am still unable to figure out how to install them, the instructions I've tried to follow seem to be cloaked in a veil of obfuscation and depend on prior understanding of the subject.

Can anyone give me clues to get DVDs playing on my Wii?

Thanks in advance.

VampDude
November 26th, 2009, 22:34
You do not need the USB IOS files, you need to install DVDx or whatever it's called (the Homebrew installer does it automatically). Then you just need to open MPlayer and select DVD, which you can either use a retail DVD or one you've created.

SpudULike
November 27th, 2009, 00:00
Thank you for confirming that I do not need the USB ios.

Unfortunately I still cannot view the shop bought DVDs.

I now need clues to help me investigate why.

VampDude
November 27th, 2009, 00:19
On my SD card, I have DVDx Installer 3.4 which I installed onto my 3.2e.

Here's the basic of what I did:

After updating to the latest firmware for the iPlayer (like yourself), I BannerBombed into AnyRegionChanger and reverted to 3.2e where I applied the Twilight Hack to re-install the Homebrew Channel (you can do it from the BannerBomb if need be) and then from there I installed DVDx Installer 3.4. Which I can play DVD movies via MPlayerCE.

What you can do after, is install the Waninkoko 4.2 installer either via the BB or the HBC (they both work - after much testing and downgrading by myself). :cool:

katachristic
November 27th, 2009, 07:04
are there any really significant differences between european wiis and usa ones? bc i have a usa wii and ive personally installed hbc on 3.2, 3.4, 4.0, and 4.1 all via bannerbomb. and with the hackmiiinstaller.3 (or something like that) ive been able to install dvdx. didnt work with hackmiiinstaller.2 though...

i also was never able to make any dvdx installer work except the one prepacked with the hbc channel installer.

VampDude
November 27th, 2009, 13:20
There is never any significance between any region of Wii consoles, except the ones purchased before 2007 being able to revert back to the original Photo Channel.

The only problem people seem to have with DVDx, is that it will not install when certain other hacks have been installed, though I have no idea which hacks or firmware patches affect it, but I've perfected my SD card to my Wii, which ultimately gives me all the installations when I need them (for my up/downgrade when Nintendo block me from the shop).

katachristic
November 30th, 2009, 07:04
ditto. thats why if someone asks you for help its generally good that they only receive help from you. that way its copy, paste, install, delete and populate.

btw, i only found one version of hackmii that installs dvdx properly but theres no need for a newer installer. it works on all firmwares and the hbc automatically requests updates via internet.