PDA

View Full Version : PSP 3001 UMD drive issue?

gamer4250
November 30th, 2009, 20:03
Hi, so a while back I broke the LCD screen for my PSP. I was about to go and order a new screen from DealExtreme, so I went and took out the current broken screen and plugged it back in just to make sure I could get it working properly myself. However, in my fiddling around I noticed that UMDs are not being read. I tried multiple discs, and all it does is spin around, shine the laser, move back and forth, make noise, etc. for a few minutes and then finally gives me a "disc cannot be read error". I managed to remove the drive from the PSP and found that there are no physical issues with it. The gears turn just fine, the laser will move back and forth without issue, and the laser still turns on. Any ideas of what the issue could be? Is my PSP totally dead now? Would I just need to buy a new UMD drive to fix it?

I cleaned off the laser with a Q-tip and alcohol, and no good. All it does is spin the disc and move the laser for a few minutes, and then it eventually stops and gives me the error. When I boot up the PSP with the disc in, it just sits at a white wave screen with the drive on for a few minutes until it finally turns off and gives me the error message then goes to the XMB.