PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite homebrew setup

Ignatius
June 14th, 2006, 12:01
Hey guys, sorry for starting up another DS Lite thread about homebrew stuff. But I’ve been surfing the net for the past couple days, endlessly trying to figure out what’s the best stuff to get. I need to be careful I get everything I need properly, because getting everything will cost me couple hundred bucks. And I’m not that rich to mindlessly spend that kind of money haha, so I’m just being extra cautious about what I buy and I’m hoping you guys can help me.

Anyways, there’s a few questions I have that I haven’t found the answers to from reading other forums. Some of these questions may sound kind of basic/noob but, surprisingly I couldn’t find a straight forward answer anywhere.

Now, I’d like to watch videos on my DS Lite along with playing DS/GBA games of course but watching videos is pretty important to me. So I wanted to make sure I got the best adapter stuff for that. And I read somewhere that the normal SD cards are more reliable than mini-SD cards for videos, there is no slowdown/lagg, is this true? Whats the best adapter and setup to get for watching videos?

I read that wifi won’t work with your backup DS game, is this true? I’ve heard mixed thoughts about this, some people say it works, some don’t. So I just wanted to know for sure what the deal was.

I also read something interesting that you can use your DS Lite as a gamepad for your computer through wifi, is this also true? Cause if it is, that’s pretty cool.

After all the research I’ve done on DS Lite homebrew stuff, I’m still kind of caught in-between buying a M3 or a Super Card adapter and buying an SD or an mini-SD version or if I should just wait for the new “Lite” adapters coming out soon. The price difference between the M3 and the Super Card is about $30 (roughly). That’s quite a bit. Is it really worth it? Is the difference really that noticeable for an average gamer? And about buying an SD or a mini-SD version, from the pictures I’ve seen on the net. I don’t mind the SD popping out of the DS that much, it doesn’t look like that big of a deal to have it completely flush against the DS. The pricing difference between the SD version to the mini-SD is about $10 (roughly). Whats better?

If someone doesn’t mind showing some pics of there DS Lite with one of the M3 or Super Card adapters on it, that would be great to see. Most of the picture references are with the original DS.

I’ll give you a few examples of a few homebrew setups that I was thinking about getting and maybe than you can notice the price differences and why I’m concerned about it.

These are Canadian prices by the way. The DS Lite will cost about $170 after taxes roughly. 1 GB SD card will cost about $25-35 somewhere depending on where you get it from like eBay. SD read/writer can easily go for $10 at eBay or other online stores. Anyways, that’s the small stuff now to the adapters and passcards.

A. Supercard SD and SuperKey - $70

B. Supercard SD (or mini-SD) - $65
SuperPass 2 SE - $25

C. EZ4Lite (512mb microSD) - $70
Passcard3 - $40

D. M3 Perfect SD ‘Slim’ - $100
Passcard3 - $40

E. M3 Perfect SD and Passcard3 - $110

As you can see there’s a lot of different setups with different price tags. But which one is the best one for someone who is very cautious about spending their money?

Thanks for reading the long post and I hope to hear from some of you guys soon.

- Cheers

V3N0M
June 14th, 2006, 15:55
I'm also wondering about the same thing. I think the best launcher is max media launcher. Goes in the DS slot and costs 30 bucks. But i'm not to sure what to do on the other stuff.

Ignatius
June 15th, 2006, 04:57
Yeah, i also read everywhere on this forum that people really recommend the Max Media Launcher. But the place I'll be getting this stuff from doesnt carry MML only the Passcard3. www.jandaman.com

I'd also like to add another question to my original post above. I'd like to play wifi with my ds anywhere I go instead of only playing at hotspots or where ever. And i read that you can get a wireless USB with the DS and play anywhere. As long as it has the RT2500 chipset in it with SoftAP. Is this info correct?