PDA

View Full Version : The Noobs Guide to DS Homebrew

MutantMooBunny
June 15th, 2006, 17:20
UPDATE: LOOK AT THE EDIT BELOW
ULTIMATE UPDATE!!! (July 31st, 2007)

/------------July 31st, 2007 update for Slot-1 (DS CARD SLOT) only solutions ------------\
Hello! I am now a proud owner of a black DS Lite, an R4 DS, and I used to own a DS-X, only it got stolen. The R4 DS (also called an M3 simply, they look different and have certain UI differences, but are the same performance-wise) is made by a Chinese manufacturer (I actually bargained for mine in china, it was pretty fun!), where the DS-X is made by Americans (obviously manufactured in China, as is everything these days, but designed and supported by English speakers, I suppose).

A Slot-1 solution is one which combines a noPass (explained later on) and a storage device into one device, so you don't need two! It is the pinnacle of DS homebrew hardware design.

There are other slot-one solutions ( a partial list is here http://dslinux.org/wiki/Slot-1_Device , along with a guide how to install linux on the slot-one cards) but the DS-X and R4 are the most well known. Since you're going to be ordering an expensive piece of potentially non-working hardware from the internet, you probably want it to work the first time around no?

Right, so the main difference between the R4 and the DS-X is that the DS-X will work with EVERYTHING you throw at it. It has a small usb port in the back that you just connect a standard mini-->big usb cable to, connect it to your computer, and you just drag and drop like a usb drive. If you want to discuss the issue of backups or ROMs (which nobody can talk about on this forum it is banned), please go somewhere else to find out. That information is not hard to find, though. The R4 may work with homebrew, it may not, but the DS-X does. Also, the R4 requires you to take it's micro-sd card (not included when you buy just an R4) out of the slot and put it in a card reader, then plug into your pc (The R4 people were nice, though, and they include a micro-sd card reader w/the R4) The R4 is analogous to a PC, the DS-X to a mac. Both the DS-X and R4 have working music applications as well.

Also, the DS-X has much better support. They have a graphical update tool, and they have native English, French, and German speakers on their support staff on their website. When my DS-X got bricked b/c their update tool malfunctioned, they got back to me online within a week and gave me a step-by-step solution. Which worked. The R4 has drag and drop updating, which was hard to use last time I tried. Granted, it should be easy w/a little finagling, but then it's not really for noobs, now is it?

BUT - the trade-off is that even with the added cost of removable storage, the R4 is still, on average, 50-60 USD less than the DS-X. One more thing is that the R4 can be used as a noPass direct to your Slot-2, and so you could have GBA games stored in a storage solution there (M3 Perfect, explained later on in the guide). GBA games cannot be played on a DS-X, unfortunately.

Since I bought my R4 in a store in China, I was able to test it. However, if I couldn't test it, I'd be skeptical about buying it, because if it was DOA, it's hard to return, and then you're 40-50 (well, maybe like 35 now, it depends on who you buy from). For a noob, I would suggest the DS-X. Pop it in, and you're good to go. No messing with homebrew, or music, just load it on, and it works. The interface rocks. Enough said! Go to www.ds-x.com for a list of their trusted suppliers, and off you go. Most of those suppliers should also stock the R4, so you can take your pick. I seriously doubt DS hardware homebrew development will evolve past this. Perhaps the maximum capacity of the DS-X will go past 2 Gigabytes, or high-capacity micro-sd cards will come out (4 GB and over) and the R4 will support them. Even so, that's all folks! Now read the rest of the post if you want to know how hard it used to be to get homebrew running on your DS :).

\-------------End of July 31st, 2007 update ----------------------------------/

Okay, so I've been wasting my time looking around at electronics and such over the past few days. In my travels, I have figured out (in my opinion at least) the best way to get hacking on the new Nintendo DS Lite. This piece of superb portable gaming equipment is an upgrade to the Nintendo DS, is smaller, has a brighter screen, and looks cooler.

I'm now writing a noob's guide. This noob guide does not include many of advanced concepts or explanations behind all this hardware, it just details a way to start running a few things.

NOOB GUIDE!
This guide shows noobs the way to start getting the most out of your Nintendo DS Lite. (If you have earlier versions of the DS, all hardware listed is compatible.) With this guide, you can:
1. Run homebrew games on your Nintendo DS or DS Lite.
2. Watch movies/listen to MP3's.
3. Run Linux for the Nintendo DS/DS Lite

So, let's get started!

First, you need a Nintendo DS/DS Lite. Duh. Get one at Circuit City, Best Buy, or where-ever. They cost about $130 at the time of this writing (6/14/06).

Second, you need a "pass-through device." The reason for getting this device is a little complicated. I'll try to explain.

To run programs on your DS that are not official Nintendo games/official Game Boy Advanced Cartridges, you need this device. It lets the DS run DS programs through a cartridge that you put in the Game Boy Advanced slot. It does this by (well I really am not sure how, but let me give you a shitty explanation!) by-passing the Nintendo DS firmware (firmware is like an operating system, just for the DS) and trying to boot (boot means load an operating system) a DS game or operating system (like Linux! or it could be a media playing system) from the cartridge you will put in the Game Boy Advanced slot.

So, the pass-through device that you should use is Datel's MAX Media Launcher. I know for a fact that you can get it at www.cheapmod.net .Those guys ship from the UK, it costs about $35-$36 with shipping.

This type of pass-through device is called a no-pass. It is called this for various reasons (if you really care, go look at the DS Linux wiki) but anyway, it fits right in your DS cartridge slot and looks nice. It also works like a charm. The only problem people seem to have is that the little notch that locks the DS cartridge into place is a little small, and the MAX Media Launcher may get stuck occaisionally. You can fix this by cutting it out a little more, but whatever. Deal!

This device is fairly new, so there might not be alot in stock. Another device that is reportedly the SAME EXACT THING is called the SuperKey. The company that makes it has it's website here: http://eng.supercard.cn/ . A distributor list for the Superkey (which may or may not be in stock right now, it hasn't appeared much in the forums, though the MAX Media Launcher is definetely out there and can be bought) is on http://eng.supercard.cn/dealer.htm, go to the canadian one. The canadian store has a good reputation. It's http://www.kicktrading.ca/ . The SuperKey has not been reviewed as much as the MAX Media Launcher, so buyer beware.

Third, you need a flash cartridge. You need it to access cards where data is stored! Like music, movies, games, whatever. This is a cartridge that goes in the Game Boy Advanced cartridge slot, and there are a number of options for this one.

Because this is a NOOB GUIDE, I'm going to give you one option. It will work with the MAX Media Launcher and maybe the SuperKey.

You can buy the Game Boy Advance Movie Player v2 (GBAMPv2) at http://www.natrium42.com/shop/gbamp.html . Basically it is a CF adapter for the DS. It is cheap (yay!) about $28 with shipping, and works well. It says something about passkey and versions of DS on that page, but DONT REGARD THAT. DO WHAT THIS GUIDE SAYS AND EVERYTHING WORKS! the passkey is an outdate pass-through device that required SRAM. nobody cares about the passkey.

IMPORTANT- CHOOSE THE VERSION THAT WORKS WITH A CF CARD. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN LINUX AT THIS TIME.
This is because linux does not have drivers for writing to the mini-sd or sd versions of the M3 perfect or Game Boy Advance Movie Player.

You can also buy an upgraded version of the Game Boy Advance Movie Player, it is called the M3 perfect. Buy it from www.natrium42.com/shop, it comes with some better movie playing software than the Game Boy Advance Movie Player and will also work with other pass-through methods, but don't worry about that. The M3 perfect is about 3 times more expensive than the Game Boy Advance Movie Player, so you should probably choose the cheaper one :).

Fourth, you need a CF (Compact Flash) card. This is to store data! (Finally we get to the data, the stuff that everyone likes!) Get it from Ebay, Circuit City, Best Buy, or where-ever. They come in sizes from a measly 8 megabytes to a ginormous 4 Gigabytes. Depending on how much stuff you want to store on the card, choose a 128 megabyte to 512 megabyte card. Those are the easiest to find and therefore the least expensive. Obviously the smaller the capacity, the less expensive the card. Try to find a Type I card, because I'm not sure if the Game Boy Advance Movie Player can use Type II cards or Microdrives. (CF=Compact Flash. It is a common type of camera flash memory card.)

Finally, Fifth, you may or may not need a CF card reader for your PC. If you already have a CF card reader from a camera, you don't need to buy another. You can get these at Circuit City, Best Buy, on Ebay, WHEREVER! They cost like 5 bucks. If you see one that has slots for other cards it will work as well. They're pretty much all the same.

So... You have all this stuff! What you do is you put the MAX Media Launcher from Datel/SuperKey into the DS cartridge slot, the CF card into the Game boy Advance Movie Player/M3, the GBA Movie Player/M3 with the CF card into the Game Boy Advance Cartridge slot, and start up the DS. You will see the MAX Media Launcher/SuperKey screen after a while, and then you will be confronted with the software that is on the GBA Movie Player/M3 Perfect. Right now you probably didn't put any data (games, movies, music, etc) on your CF card, but when you do (you do this by taking the GBA Movie Player/M3 Perfect out of the GBA cartridge slot, then the CF card out of the GBA Movie Player/M3 Perfect, then putting your CF card into your CF card reader, and plugging the CF card reader into your Personal Computer.) the software on the GBA Movie Player/M3 Perfect will recognize these files and play them easily! Have fun!

Notes: I use M3 and M3 Perfect interchangably in this guide. They are the same exact thing.

GBA always stands for Game Boy Advance. I might also say Advanced. It is the same thing.

Game Boy Advance Movie Player and Game Boy Advance Movie Player v2 are not the same thing (there was a version one), but in this guide both terms are referring to VERSION TWO of the Game Boy Advance Movie Player (GBAMP).

If you want to look more into the homebrew scene, check out: www.dslinux.org , Nintendo DS passthrough methods, <-- that's a great site, http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/, and www.gbadev.org. Because this is a noob guide, I'll say this once. NEVER ASK, EVER, FOR PIRATE GAMES ON THESE SITES. You will get banned like a banana. Seriously, uncool.

Also, remember that the DS can play all old Game Boy Advance games, and that all the homebrew that was made for the Game Boy Advance works for the DS. Just put it on your CF card and you're good to go.

Okay, I hope this was helpful to people. Hack Away!

Last Note (noobs please disregard): Before I get flamed for not including stuff like the SuperCard, or the SD/mini-sd version of the M3/GBAMPv2, or different pass-through devices, or the MAX media dock (Which is a storage device, not a passthrough device), or any of that crap, remember this is a NOOB Guide. It is designed to get people up and running ASAP, and to provide them with the bare minimum of information they need to understand the concepts behind all this. For everything else, they can read this forum. Thank you.

EDIT: Okay, a few things have come to my attention. First of all, the MAX Media Dock is apparantly all it's cracked up to be. It's hard to get and Datel hoards all their stock. My new, updated suggestion (as of June 19, 2006) is to buy the Passcard 3 for your passthrough needs. It's around the same price, and made by the same people who made the M3 Perfect (and all its variants, like the SD card version, the CF card version, the mini-sd version, etc.) and the Game Boy Advance Movie Player v2. The Passcard 3 works the same way as the MAX Media Launcher, in the fact that it is a NoPass Method (check the DS Linux page for differences in passthrough methods.) You can get the Passcard 3 (NOT THE PASSKEY, THE PASSCARD) at www.jandaman.com (look in the Nintendo DS section) or http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/customer/product.php?productid=2440
yep, there.

Now, for your storage needs, I am amending my previous decision to recommend the Game Boy Advance Movie Player v2. It is old, outdated, and does not run GBA or DS roms without some firmware updating (or so I think.) You should buy an M3 perfect of some variation (Personally, I would recommend the CF version, but that's because I want to use linux. Anyone else can buy the SD or mini SD version. By the way, the difference between the slim SD version and the SD version of the M3 Perfect is that the slim version is a tiny bit smaller. Just buy the SD version, it's cheaper and neither fit flush into the NDS lite's GBA cartridge slot.) I'm reccomending it because it plays homebrew GBA roms/programs and homebrew DS roms/games without updating, modification, or any of that crap. It is the most noob friendly of the storage devices.

In conclusion, no matter what passthrough method/noPass card you use (noPass=MAX media Launcher or PassCard 3), they will all work with any storage method you choose to use (M3 Perfect, GBA Movie Player)

RibStabsHeart
June 15th, 2006, 21:52
While the supercard is cheaper, you get what you pay for with the M3 with a better interface and perfect DS and GBA emulation. The supercard tends to slow down a lot from what I have heard, and if you plan on playing games (especially GBA ones), the M3 works a bit better for the price.

Also, a 1gb card is a good starting point for many. You can get them for around $20 (even cheaper after rebates), and can hold a good amount of data. For people that really want to have everything with them to play (like myself), a 2+gb card will probably be necessary (seeing how I have over a gig of GBA games by themselves).

This is a good guide, but it may be better for noobs to wait out a little bit for the passcard 3. Its as big as a NDS card, and fits into the slot just like the MAX launcher, and will even be a little cheaper. Also, with how small the DS Lite is, it would probably be a good idea to go with the smaller M3's, like the MiniSD version (or if you insist, the mini-sd supercard). If you were to put a first gen passme and a CF version of the M3/Supercard, you will have one flipping behemoth of a machine. A little stick out is expected, but over 1.5" is going to be a bit distracting (and possiblly bad for the DS due to all the weight pulling down on it).

Just my $.02. A good starter guide though. I think it would be best for people waiting to get into the scene (and about to get a DSL) to wait a month or two in order to wait for smaller cartiges, and more passcard3's to come out!

mat_dizzy
June 15th, 2006, 22:11
i havent actually tried emulation and homebrew on my ds... oh wait i sold it :D

lol i doubt its better than psp emulation atm?

The Hombrew Hunter
June 16th, 2006, 04:20
Uh will this run DS programs, like Nester DS? With the two screens?

Vernonjr
June 16th, 2006, 04:34
i beg to differ on the supercard though, it runs every nds game (except a spiderman game) at fullspeed, and every gba game ive cared to try at fullspeed as well. Ive been very impressed with mine.

wrestler500
June 18th, 2006, 03:49
So just a double check before I buy. The Game Boy Advance Movie Player v2 (GBAMPv2) will work with the Max Media Launcher right?

Oh and I'm on a Mac is that gonna cause problems?

Cigaboo
June 18th, 2006, 05:06
Thanks for the newbie guide. I just got a DS lite today and am looking forward to the playing the gba/ds homebrews (and emulators). In my case, I have an SD card laying around. I noticed an SD version of the movie player recommended above: http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=246&products_id=8970&img=gba-nds-movieplayer-sd Would anyone happen to know if this version would work as well?

travis134
June 18th, 2006, 10:45
This should be stickied, great guide!

ObsidianIdeals
June 18th, 2006, 17:54
For what it is worth, I would not recommend going with the Max Media Launcher - all reports seem to indicate that it does not allow you to use the NDS's sleep mode.

I've personally cancelled my order and am currently trying to locate a Superkey.

Cigaboo
June 18th, 2006, 19:56
This guide is handy. But one thing that is a bit unclear is whether additional software is needed to run .gba or .nds files. For example, I am aware that the max media dock requires some additional software that converts .nds files to something else (.pat, I think). Also, do most/all of these flash card solutions work with the emulators and other software created for Nintendo DS?

wrestler500
June 18th, 2006, 21:01
So will the Superkey work with the GBA MP?

MutantMooBunny
June 19th, 2006, 23:39
So just a double check before I buy. The Game Boy Advance Movie Player v2 (GBAMPv2) will work with the Max Media Launcher right?

Oh and I'm on a Mac is that gonna cause problems?

the Mac will not cause any problems because you are merely transferring files from the mac to the CF/SD card you use with your GBAMPv2. And yes, that is the right thing to buy. Though the guide is now updated, I now recommend the M3 (though it is more expensive) and the Passcard 3.

MutantMooBunny
June 19th, 2006, 23:43
So will the Superkey work with the GBA MP?

Yes, the SuperKey will work with the GBAMPv2 and the M3 perfect. Remember to buy the Superkey, which is a NoPass method akin to the Passcard 3, the MAX Media Launcher, and NOT the SuperPassKey version 1/2, because that is a method that needs a ds cart to work, and is very bulky. The SuperKey is fine.

MutantMooBunny
June 19th, 2006, 23:48
This guide is handy. But one thing that is a bit unclear is whether additional software is needed to run .gba or .nds files. For example, I am aware that the max media dock requires some additional software that converts .nds files to something else (.pat, I think). Also, do most/all of these flash card solutions work with the emulators and other software created for Nintendo DS?

I'm positive that the M3 perfect comes with built in software that can just play the .gba and .nds files without any trouble. Any other flash cart solutions, there are various fixes/conversions you have to do. (like the one you outlined with the Max Media Dock) (to avoid confusion, the MAX Media Dock is a flash cart solution, not a passthrough method.)

But yes, once you jump through the hoops, all the flash cart solutions will work with all the emulators. There's just a bit of tweaking to do in each case.

wrestler500
June 20th, 2006, 18:25
I'm positive that the M3 perfect comes with built in software that can just play the .gba and .nds files without any trouble. Any other flash cart solutions, there are various fixes/conversions you have to do. (like the one you outlined with the Max Media Dock) (to avoid confusion, the MAX Media Dock is a flash cart solution, not a passthrough method.)

But yes, once you jump through the hoops, all the flash cart solutions will work with all the emulators. There's just a bit of tweaking to do in each case.

I'm planing on buying a SuperCard SD becuase I really do not want to spend more on the M3 and my question is, with me running on a Mac how do I convert the .gba and .nds files to work on the SuperCard?

MutantMooBunny
June 20th, 2006, 18:46
I'm planing on buying a SuperCard SD becuase I really do not want to spend more on the M3 and my question is, with me running on a Mac how do I convert the .gba and .nds files to work on the SuperCard?

Yeah, sorry, these things need a windows machine. Unless you've got Virtual PC (a windows Emulator for Power PC Macs) or an Intel Mac (in which case you can run Boot Camp to dual boot windows on your machine), the conversion program that converts the .gba and .nds files only works on windows. Sorry.

wrestler500
June 20th, 2006, 19:30
Yeah, sorry, these things need a windows machine. Unless you've got Virtual PC (a windows Emulator for Power PC Macs) or an Intel Mac (in which case you can run Boot Camp to dual boot windows on your machine), the conversion program that converts the .gba and .nds files only works on windows. Sorry.

Same thing with the other homebrew programs?

MutantMooBunny
June 20th, 2006, 22:27
What do you mean? I'm not sure what your question is... your first question was whether you could convert .gba and .nds files to files that would run on the supercard. This one is out of context.

V3N0M
June 20th, 2006, 23:11
I would like to know how to get homebrew running on my NDSL. Can someone tell me the best(Runs Fast, easy to use, homebrew,games,Back ups-I don't care about getting music or videos to play. My psp does all that lol.) set up for the cheapest price. I was thinking about getting SuperCard SD and SuperKey or Max media launcher, aloung with a 1 gig SD card that i would buy from Best Buy. Thanx for the help. Oh and i'm in the psp homebrew scene and if anybody needs any help...well just look at my banner LOL. Thanx

wrestler500
June 21st, 2006, 09:26
What do you mean? I'm not sure what your question is... your first question was whether you could convert .gba and .nds files to files that would run on the supercard. This one is out of context.

Sorry I ment will I also have to convert a homebrew app like DS Wolfenstien to get it to play?

Quay Cur
June 21st, 2006, 17:22
Very helpful guide. My main interest is in running SNES roms, and a few original Gameboy ones. I think I'm pretty clear on the hardware I need, but would I need additional software on the Movie Player to run roms other than DS or GBA? If so where can I find it? Or am I going to have to convert the files? I've been having a burning desire to play the Seiken Densetsu series on my DS...

The roms I want to run are .gb and .smc for the most part, .gbc and .nes would be cool too. Also, I only have Macs, though I don't think that would matter if all I'm doing is transferring files.

And as if I didn't have enough in this post, has anyone heard of Genesis .bin or .smd files working on a DS?

If none of this works I suppose I could just buy a controller for my computer.

Quay Cur
June 21st, 2006, 17:26
This is probably a stupid question, but which screen would all of this play on? I would imagine it would be the GBA screen you set in the preferences.

MutantMooBunny
June 21st, 2006, 21:16
Sorry I ment will I also have to convert a homebrew app like DS Wolfenstien to get it to play?

I don't think so... I'm not sure. Check the manual that comes with your supercard, or check on the supercard website. They give pretty good documentation about this kind of stuff.

MutantMooBunny
June 21st, 2006, 21:30
Very helpful guide. My main interest is in running SNES roms, and a few original Gameboy ones. I think I'm pretty clear on the haòdware I need, but would I need additional software on the Movie Player to run roms other than DS or GBA? If so where can I find it? Or am I going to have to convert the files? I've been having a burning desire to play the Seiken Densetsu series on my DS...

The roms I want to run are .gb and .smc for the most part, .gbc and .nes would be cool too. Also, I only have Macs, though I don't think that would matter if all I'm doing is transferring files.

And as if I didn't have enough in this post, has anyone heard of Genesis .bin or .smd files working on a DS?

If none of this works I suppose I could just buy a controller for my computer.

Okay, for the M3 Perfect (the updated version of the GBA Movie Player), it can run most roms. Let me just direct you to the m3faq. www.m3adapter.com/faq.htm.
~~~~~~~~~
An excerpt from it pertaining to your problem:

11 Does M3 support NES, GB , SMS GG, PCE roms ? Is there a better way to make SNES games work well?
M3 Adapter can run NES,GB,GBC, SMS,GG,PCE rom properly, pls using our M3 manager to patch the roms & you may put it in the CF/SD card to run directly.
And M3 can run SNES. But effect & the compatibility is bad ..The reason is that SNES emulator has problem. It is not concerned about M3’s . Everybody ask us about the SNES emulator , we don’t recommend use that. We recommend that using the SNES DS emulator .
Some people successfully played MegaMan 7 on M3 perfect with sound .
You may try it & find the result .
http://home.utah.edu/~u0422123/snesDS/ - A video of SnesDS running MegaMan 7 - http://media.putfile.com/snesds
http://home.utah.edu/%7Eu0422123/snesDS/
http://luffy.free.fr/nds/snesds_compat/index.php
~~~~~~~~~~
Also from the faq:
~~~~~~~~~~
9. What's Emulator Games? How M3 Adapter run the game of Emulator Games directly?
Emulator Games means every kinds of game in every game console can run on a PC in the most early time. Emulator games at present can have run at GBA / NDS already. In general, there are only two kinds of methods for these games that can be run on the Flash Card.
Method 1: Convert the different kind of emulator games such as, FC, GC, GG etc into standard GBA format (.gba) through the conversion software.
Method 2: Directly run those FC, GC, GG etc Emulator Games through starting up the GBA program with some emulator functions (such as Pogoshell).
Since M3 Adapter has already been built-in emulator function, it can run these Emulator Games directly. For instance: FC, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, PCE, SEGA-MS & GG etc. It's very convenient to the user. For instance, it has function of running Emulator Games, and it is equal to have many game consoles and games with different popular styles in the past.
~~~~~~~~~~
This faq will hold true only for the M3. You'll notice the english is a little bad, though they know what they're talking about, it's not bullsh*t. Just bad grammer :p. If you use any other flash cart solution (Supercard, G6, whatever), you'll need emulator software. Get emulator software for the DS on the front page of www.dcemu.co.uk. The emulators will most probably come w/instructions on how to load them and name them properly and stuff.

As for your other question about the screen, for the M3 it will play on the bottom screen. The screenshots of the M3 indicate this.

Quay Cur
June 21st, 2006, 22:44
Cool, thanks for all the help. All this homebrew stuff seemed rather foggy, but you managed to set it straight.

So the G6 doesn't have any built in emulators like the M3 despite being made by the same company? Has this been confirmed by anyone? I guess it isn't too big a deal, just not as easy.

My aesthetic impulse is to get a G6, but it sounds like the M3 is more idiot friendly. I guess I'll just wait until the G6 ships to see if I can dig up more info, that or pester the M3 site.

threefingeredlord
June 25th, 2006, 16:03
I would just like to verify that this (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=8970&) will work with the super key and play ds/gba homebrew games. Is it the same thing as the M3? If not i'll just get the super card, that movie player thing is a lot cheaper though:rolleyes: .
http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/gba-nds-movieplayer-sd2.jpg

MutantMooBunny
June 25th, 2006, 16:27
In response to threefingeredlord, the GBA Movie Player is not the same thing as the M3 Perfect. The GBA Movie Player has a different firmware and will not run DS homebrews out of the box. You need to update the firmware with the firmware from this (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/NDSMP/index.html) guy's site.

Now, if you go to his website, you'll notice he says "screw you" if you ask about commericial ROMs. So whether or not one may run backups using his firmware on the GBA Movie Player is debatable. I have not personally tried it, and I don't know anyone who has.

Also, one more thing. His firmware only works if you have the Compact Flash version of the GBA Movie Player. I'd go with the supercard, if I were you.

threefingeredlord
June 25th, 2006, 16:41
Thank you, that was a very usefull and fast reply. I used to have the cf version of it, but i sold it to a freind because i managed to break my gba sp. Now i have a black ds lite and am looking for homebrew solutions. Im skint, o it will be a while before i am able to afford the super card, but at least now my friend can play ds homebrew on his ds, thank you:) .

threefingeredlord
July 19th, 2006, 10:30
Now, if you go to his website, you'll notice he says "screw you" if you ask about commericial ROMs. So whether or not one may run backups using his firmware on the GBA Movie Player is debatable. I have not personally tried it, and I don't know anyone who has.

I can now testify that it definitely does not work with backed up roms. My friend has the gbamp v2 cf version and i got a super key for him, but using the hack he can only play homebrew.

vampireghost9
October 9th, 2006, 00:38
well to tell you the truth i am new to the nds homebrew scene, and i just bought a nds lite(black) today 10/08/2006. i have been working with the psp scene since it came out last year march. anyway the ds homebrew does'nt look to difficult and i look forward to working with the nds just as soon as i figure out what i need exactly. things here on this page seems a little confusing.??? if any one can answer this question....do i need a flash card for the gba part of the ds and a card for the ds part along with software that i can either buy online or get from best buy. you guys got me confused. i already have the emulators and roms for the ds. i just need a little clarification on the hardware needed. the psp only needed a mem card and a little c++ knowledge to program. someone help me so i can get crackin on the ds lite. thankfully yours..... ds (lite) noob.:) :confused: :rolleyes:

kcajblue
October 9th, 2006, 05:14
I would just like to verify that this (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=8970&) will work with the super key and play ds/gba homebrew games. Is it the same thing as the M3? If not i'll just get the super card, that movie player thing is a lot cheaper though:rolleyes: .
http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/gba-nds-movieplayer-sd2.jpgdude. that is like the worst thing to get.

sporefrog
October 22nd, 2006, 04:01
I'm using the GBAMP with CF. It came with a SuperKey. Basically, I'm trying to use DS Organize (a program I am told works with GBAMP CF). I'm under the impression that, to get the DS to run the .nds from the gba slot, I need to use the SuperKey. When I insert the SuperKey, after displaying the health and safety warning as the DS boots up, the screen goes white and never changes. Anyone know what's wrong?

kcajblue
October 22nd, 2006, 06:25
download MightyMax's GBA MP Loader (http://www.ndshb.com/cgi-bin/cfiles/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,3,44), put the mb_data folder on the root of the card and put the _BOOT_MP.nds on the root of the card. then when you start up the GBAMP is should boot up the loader. i dont know if it will load DS Organize though.

EDIT: i forgot to tell you that you need to have the hacked GBAMP firmware installed (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/NDSMP/ndsmp_v2_11.zip).

Junixx
October 22nd, 2006, 14:54
I'm using the GBAMP with CF. It came with a SuperKey. Basically, I'm trying to use DS Organize (a program I am told works with GBAMP CF). I'm under the impression that, to get the DS to run the .nds from the gba slot, I need to use the SuperKey. When I insert the SuperKey, after displaying the health and safety warning as the DS boots up, the screen goes white and never changes. Anyone know what's wrong?

You'll need the hacked firmware as mentioned, and a _BOOT_MP.nds, it can be anything though, I use moonshell. Also remember that it doesn't work all
the time, sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to start up

kcajblue
October 22nd, 2006, 23:09
my _BOOT_MP.nds is the GBAMP MultiBoot.
as i said in my earlier post.

sporefrog
October 23rd, 2006, 01:32
I downloaded the firmware, ran it, help l+r and hit select, it said everything was fine. I got the multi boot + the _BOOT_MP.nds, but it boots up the GBAMP normally, gives me the same screen, and I can't load it. I'm fairly certain that it can't run .nds things, which is the whole problem the superkey tries to get around. I use the superkey and it still freezes.

kcajblue
October 23rd, 2006, 01:39
do you have that mb_data folder on the root of your card.

sporefrog
October 23rd, 2006, 01:41
I have the mb_data folder in the highest up directory on the card, yes, assuming you mean to leave it as a folder and not put the contents in the root.

sporefrog
October 23rd, 2006, 01:43
It worked the third time, go figure.

Thank you so much! DS Organize worked too :-) I'll let you know if I encounter any more problems

kcajblue
October 23rd, 2006, 02:16
sorry to be mean but dont double post. use the edit button.

Cheatsurfer
November 14th, 2006, 03:14
[QUOTE=ObsidianIdeals;137267]For what it is worth, I would not recommend going with the Max Media Launcher - all reports seem to indicate that it does not allow you to use the NDS's sleep mode.QUOTE]

I ( :( stupidly :( ) bought a Max MEdia Launcher and Media Dock (CF version, using my 1Gb COmpactFlash card) and after I updated the firmware, it falls almost completely asleep whiloe playing Mp3's and it does fall asleep when closed while paused, or doing nothing. As for Sleep mode While playing Games... I dunno yet. Still a newb to Homebrew. I'm a Multimedia Design major though, so expect to see my own line of games pop inot the scene eventually!

kcajblue
November 14th, 2006, 03:58
you should fix that quote.

mike03$$$
November 25th, 2006, 06:41
um thats to much $$$ to spend just for homebrew i dont mind spending im just wasting my time im sticking with my psp

viper46uk
March 31st, 2007, 19:07
hi, done everything on here,
flashed my gbamp fc version
installed multiboot and files
installed dsorganiza
copied .nds roms onto fc
but when i try to run any ds games from the directory on multiboot i get 2 white screens
when i try to run ds games from the organiza i get loading fat,then a few lines of txt, then black screens, top white screen , then 2 white screen and no game running

anybody help, i am using superpass key, gbamp fc v2, and multiboot

kcajblue
March 31st, 2007, 19:16
viper.
NO ROM TALK!!!!
GBAMP isnt meant to play nds roms.
its meant for HOMEBREW.

viper46uk
March 31st, 2007, 19:55
viper.
NO ROM TALK!!!!
GBAMP isnt meant to play nds roms.