PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 to 2.6 upgrade - bad idea?

PSPegasus
June 16th, 2006, 15:50
G'day everyone. I've just today bought a copy of From Russia With Love which I really want to play, but it says I need firmware 2.6 :eek:. I currently have 2.5 and am EXTREMELY hesitant to upgrade (I know that it's almost always a bad move). I was wondering what the potential drawbacks are for upgrading so I can decide whether it's worth doing to play 007. I know homebrew will still work, which is good - I've got a copy of GTA. Do I have any other options besides upgrading? Oh and I was wondering if you could tell me anything concrete on this alleged Modchip I keep hearing about. Is it really going to make firmware hacking unnecessary?

branin
June 16th, 2006, 18:03
well , uprading might be a bad idea because you never know there could come a downgrader from 2.5 and down , but i really doubt it , and homebrew will still play on 2.6 just whatever you do dont upgrade to 2.7 , but i think its worth it to play 007 its a cool game. but its really up to you , chances are if theres ever a downgrader for 2.5 there will probly be one for 2.6 aswell , and if the modchip is true then yes it will make firmware problems a thing of the past!

tallica
June 17th, 2006, 00:37
i have 2.6 nd hombrew n that is almost as gd as 2.5

PSPegasus
June 17th, 2006, 02:59
Cool thanks for the advice.
There is one thing I forgot to mention. I have a Japanese PSP, so does that mean I need to get the Japanese firmware update or is it safe to use the US one on the UMD?

Zion
June 17th, 2006, 03:49
with the modchip out, I don't see updating as a problem. Either way 2.6 is better than 2.5 and you still have the same amount of homebrew :p

SSaxdude
June 17th, 2006, 04:04
Update to 2.6 since you wouldn't lose any homebrew, but don't update past that yet because 2.7+ might have blocked out the modchip.

PSPegasus
June 17th, 2006, 13:21
So it's totally safe to use the US firmware? I haven't been able to find a copy of the Japanese version of 2.6. Updating the Japanese one with the North American one won't brick it or anything?

BALL_SAC
June 17th, 2006, 23:45
might as well upgrade, either way you are stuck with using eloader no matter what. Unless you plan to buy the undiluted platninum modchip... DO NOT UPGRADE TO 2.7 OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!
2.6 is the only way to go if you dont want to buy the undiluted platninum.

SINIStER
June 22nd, 2006, 07:05
Update to 2.6 since you wouldn't lose any homebrew, but don't update past that yet because 2.7+ might have blocked out the modchip.
yea dat sums it up in a nutshell,2.5 and 2.6 r pretty much the same except for the 2.6 RSS channel thing.