PDA

View Full Version : Morphgear - multisystem emulator for Windows CE

Starscream
June 17th, 2006, 19:10
Edit: oops, just realized this probably should be in the "porting ideas" section, sorry

I've been doing some research on handheld devices and was wondering if DC development can benefit from existing Software for Windows CE devices (handheld PCs). Some of these use an SH3 CPU.

Specifically, I wondered if some coding ideas (optimizations etc. or even a whole port) could be gained from Morphgear (open source according to the site, but you need to login to a forum apparently)
http://www.spicypixel.com/xwiki/bin/view/MorphGear/KnowledgeBase

Quote from the site:

MorphGear is a modular game system for Windows 98/2000/XP and Windows CE. Native games or emulators can be plugged into the MorphGear system to expand your gaming content. These plugins are known as MorphModules. Current MorphModules allow you to play GameBoy, NES, SNES, SEGA Master System, SEGA GameGear, SEGA Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16 games on your PocketPC or Windows Desktop. Supported processors include SH3, MIPS, ARM, and x86.

The thing is, these modules are of course ports/variants of existing emulators that are partly already on the DC (eg. the SNES module is based on SNES9x).

But, the emulator is supposed to also run on SH3 devices and I assume that it could possibly feature some optimizations for the handheld versions, as these aren't really powerful.

So, is it possible that the sourcecode could benefit existing projects, or that it would make sense to port the whole thing? It would run a lot of systems after all.

Christuserloeser
June 19th, 2006, 02:08
Nice find. Would be interesting to know if SH3 is compatible with SH4.

Edit: oops, just realized this probably should be in the "porting ideas" section, sorry

Moved. ;)

R4mb0
June 24th, 2006, 02:05
The Compaq Aero 8000 device use a sh4 processor and 16mg of Ram, is the same of the DC insnīt ?

Christuserloeser
June 24th, 2006, 14:25
Yep. :)

MrTeressaBond
July 19th, 2006, 17:41
i was actually thinking of starting a nw thread on a similar idea, where if it is possible to rip off the SH4 and input a SH5-100S.

is that possible anyone?