PDA

View Full Version : Please help with SNES emulator

ryutoki
June 19th, 2006, 23:38
I'm trying to get an SNES emulator to work on my PSP. I hear snes9x is the best one, but I've found so many different versions of it that I don't know which to use! A lot of them don't even come with instructions.

Also, which ROMs work on PSP and which ones don't?

I am using Firmware 2.60, if that matters.

BelmontSlayer
June 20th, 2006, 02:46
You can't run ANY emulator/homebrew on PSP 2.50 without a UMD of GTA: Liberty Cities. There is an exploit on that game that lets you run un-official code (Such as emulators) on a PSP 2.50. So if you don't have GTA, then you can't play any homebrew. And no, you can't go back to the old software (PSP 1.50) if you were wondering...So your choices are the following:

1) Stay with v2.50 and only play official Sony UMDs, music & videos.
2) Stay with v2.50 and buy GTA so you can use emulators & homebrew.
3) Upgrade to v2.71 and never play homebrew again. (If you do this, you're officially an idiot)

Also, every SNES rom works on PSP (Using snes9xTYL 0.4.2)

Download snes9xTYL 0.4.2 from the official site,
HERE (http://yoyofr92.free.fr/psp/files/snes9xTYL-0.4.2.rar)

ryutoki
June 20th, 2006, 08:01
I'm on 2.60, not 2.50.

And yes, I have GTA.

Thanks for the help! :D

BelmontSlayer
June 20th, 2006, 08:37
Oops...I just copied and pasted what I told KarmaPolice (Didn't change anything). Well, its still the same for 2.60. Glad I could help, and DON'T UPGRADE TO 2.71! Just thought I'd get that burned into your skull. :D

dazsin
June 20th, 2006, 11:06
Is there instructions on how to work it? As I am a newcomer to PSP (but not to emulations). I'm not sure what folder to put emulators in, or how to work them on the PSP.
I do have the GTA.LC UMD though

dukepoth
June 20th, 2006, 12:51
you need to get eloader you can download it from this siteand the insructions are in the readme txt

BelmontSlayer
June 20th, 2006, 21:44
Homebrew & emulators go in

PSP\GAME\

Get eLoader from the offical thread here,
eLoader v0.97 "Bock" (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21672)

dazsin
June 21st, 2006, 09:01
Thanks guys, much appreciated

dalejrrocks
June 22nd, 2006, 01:51
oh DL the NON-ME Version of SNES9xtyl

pimpjuice10
June 22nd, 2006, 18:54
Hooray For 2.60 Users. Im Never Going To Upgrade N Less A Downrader 4 2.60 Comes. Hope Thats Soon 2 .

sedkiller
June 22nd, 2006, 19:16
oh DL the NON-ME Version of SNES9xtyl

What's more in the ME version ?.. is it the music thing ?

Skye
June 22nd, 2006, 20:39
ME stands for Media Engine which is a co-processor in the PSP that has been exploited on 1.5 version PSPs through a kernel call to allow use of it to help with emulation. You can't access it though 2.0 or higher firmwares, so if you ever run homebrew on anything 2.0 or higher make sure it's not using the ME or it won't be compatable.

Lxus_GS430
July 7th, 2006, 22:34
I already have the eloader installed on my PSP and its version is 2.60 but when I go to load the eloader on load games on GTA LC, it turns off. and I have the same emulator for the SNES, and i need help on installing the snes9xTYL-0.3me.

matt_fullysick
July 9th, 2006, 13:47
Is there a snes emulator out for 2.71?????

BelmontSlayer
July 9th, 2006, 14:08
Is there a snes emulator out for 2.71?????

No. And there most likely won't be for a long time...If ever.

Please search the forums next time. :)

Gvain
July 10th, 2006, 18:19
I have downloaded the new version BUT for some reason when I load it up through eloader I just get a white screen ... any ideas?

Im running 2.6 if thats the issue I would be interested to know.

Thanks

shibby420182
July 11th, 2006, 04:26
i need help getting the emulator to load on my 1.5 psp any help would be nice, all the files do not carry the dual directory with title and title% do i need them that way or is there another way that im stupid and havent figured out

donne
July 14th, 2006, 09:27
I just want to ask : is there any difference in in-game speed between GTA loader trick and TIFF trick ? Mine PSP 2.0 with snes9xtyl ver 0.4.2 using TIFF and the emu runs so slow.. Perhaps down-graded it to 1.5 would make it any faster ? I don't want to dg it, afraid it would go bricked.

Ok for RPG but can't stand it for action-oriented games.. Tried to 'speed' up it to 333 but doesn't make significant difference.. Surprisingly, Street Fighter Turbo seemed fast enough even without 333.

Oh btw, mine crashed on Front Mission and Side-pocket..

jwilds73
July 15th, 2006, 15:25
I just want to ask : is there any difference in in-game speed between GTA loader trick and TIFF trick ? Mine PSP 2.0 with snes9xtyl ver 0.4.2 using TIFF and the emu runs so slow.. Perhaps down-graded it to 1.5 would make it any faster ? I don't want to dg it, afraid it would go bricked.

Ok for RPG but can't stand it for action-oriented games.. Tried to 'speed' up it to 333 but doesn't make significant difference.. Surprisingly, Street Fighter Turbo seemed fast enough even without 333.

Oh btw, mine crashed on Front Mission and Side-pocket..

I don't believe there is any difference in the (non ME) emu based on what boot method you use. I could be wrong. I do remember when the GTA exploit first came out they had issues with free'ing up all the ram because of left over GTA stuff in ram. However that has been solved since then. Maybe the Tiff method doesn't clear the ram completely?

Full kernel access and emu's that take advantage of that will have better performance then strictly user mode emu's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_mode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_mode

On downgrading, I've downgraded 4 psp's so far all for friends as I own a stock 1.50. The 2.0 downgrader is by far the simplist and safest of the downgraders. I'd really give downgrading a serious consideration as it will open up so much more for you. Hopefully though Fanjita and crew will find a kernel exploit that works on 2.0 and above and a non GTA boot method. Which they have been said to be working on. If you lived anywhere near me I'd come help you downgrade your PSP. I'd even guarantee my psp if it bricked yours.

donne
July 18th, 2006, 01:12
Ah, many thanks for the kind offer.. Wish I lived near.

I was considering to down-grade. I had the necessary files/programs and even printed out the most detailed procedures I can find.. But I restrained, keep thinking some day one prodigy programmer can come up with a nice eloader or methods for 2.0.

I won't hold my breath, though.. But those homebrew programmers are so great.. I mean, it's like less than a half-year ago they can only exploit 1.5 then even with some restriction, I can play SNES on my 2.0 without touching the firmware.

But you're right. There's always a reward on every risk successfully taken.

Zombo
July 18th, 2006, 08:29
How do people make the Game Genie,PRA,RAW and Gold Finger codes to work (I tried the older Snes 9x emulator and they worked,but not this version)

Uruz 6
July 18th, 2006, 10:12
Actually if it's not a factory 2.60 and it's not one of those special new models (they've got a writing in the upper-right corner of the umd-drive) you might be able to downgrade to 1.50.
The process of downgrading isn't 100% sure since it writes to your flash memory but still, if you do things right.. of couse you can also use an eloader like the other guys said but I wanted to point out another way.

Just my 2 cents.