PDA

View Full Version : Fw1.50 & 8gb memory sticks?

drEDN4wt
June 22nd, 2006, 20:21
Will 8gb memory sticks be any use to fw1.50 users?

I read that you will need a higher firmware to use them, due to the fw1.50 having a 4 gb limit, but will you be able to ;

..partition the drive into 2 parts for use on fw1.50?
or
..is it likely that homebrew/fw hacking will allow the use of them (without modchip) in the near future?

GeEkPiE
June 22nd, 2006, 21:12
hav no idea

never heard you had a limit of 4gb in the software

stotheamuel
June 22nd, 2006, 21:23
You do have a 4 gb limit. but i doubt its uncrackable

cloud_952
June 22nd, 2006, 22:02
O_o I imagine it's built into the way the PSP reads memory cards, something that likely won't be cracked (and I doubt can). I'm not even sure if it's something Sony can easily adjust in the first place. Limits on file sizes is fairly common for a variety of reasons, and I don't believe it was an oversight on Sony's part.

Zion
June 22nd, 2006, 22:15
I think partitioning might work..........

ACID
June 22nd, 2006, 22:35
O_o I imagine it's built into the way the PSP reads memory cards, something that likely won't be cracked (and I doubt can). I'm not even sure if it's something Sony can easily adjust in the first place. Limits on file sizes is fairly common for a variety of reasons, and I don't believe it was an oversight on Sony's part.
Thats the same thing people sayd about the 2.70 firmware not been able to be cracked . Hum let me think is it call the DEVTEAM with there great DEVHOOK 0.41b ohhhhhhhh yes it is . Dude everything is posible.
Do you think sony overlooked ther 1.50 firmware

SSaxdude
June 22nd, 2006, 23:44
8 gb sticks on 1.5 will be possible due to the amount of hacking that can be done. Just remember, 1.5 is the best and trust that everything will be possible.

under_0ath777
June 23rd, 2006, 10:56
use iR Shell v1.6 it lets you play files on your comp during gameplay and is 1.5 only, so basically you got 200gb of homebrew

acn010
June 23rd, 2006, 16:42
use iR Shell v1.6 it lets you play files on your comp during gameplay and is 1.5 only, so basically you got 200gb of homebrew

dude thats just connection to the computer, and uses the wi-fi to connect, that you can browse around in the harddrive. but what about going outside traveling? that you cant do that

goldenmage
June 23rd, 2006, 19:13
I do believe that 8GB on the 1.5 is possible. In fact, fanjita is working on it right now.

coo
June 24th, 2006, 15:11
kind of off topic, but i heard that a psp hard drive is not necessary, because memory stick pro duos can hold up to 32 gigabites of data

my dad has a friend at sony, and he told me there might be one in the near future

TerryMathews
June 25th, 2006, 07:30
There's a couple different tacks developers could take to enable 8GB+ support on the PSP, assuming the hardware is physically capable of it (which it obviously is, since later FWs support it).

The best way would be replacing the ISR that controls MS access, assuming that the memory stick access is controlled via interrupt and that the PSP's architecture allows for replacing ISRs. That would be a clean replacement that all PSP applications and games that make use of the standard libraries would be able to take advantage of. Downside would be that you'd have to run something each time you cold-boot the PSP.

You could also create new MS access functions, but then each program would have to be rewritten with your new MS access calls. Not very good, and you'd need a shell to load your apps.

I'm sure there are other options, but the ISR route is the best way to go if the PSP can support it.