PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - How to Flash Your DS or DS Lite

Mazza
June 23rd, 2006, 18:47
WARNING - IF YOU BREAK YOUR DS WHILE FLASHING IT IS NOT MINE OR ANYONE ELSES FAULT
Unless your dog jumps on you while your doin it then it's your dogs fault :)

Advantages of Flashing

- No health warning screen
- No need for any passme device in the future
- Boots DS directly to Flashcart when turned on
- Allows you to download play off a DS using a flashcart with backed up roms on

Once flashed to enter normal DS mode hold select on boot up.

To use sleep mode when using flashed ds and supercard a ds game must be in the slot.

You will need

- A Passme type Device, Passcard 3, Passkey 2, Datel Max Media Launcher any will suffice

- A Flashcart, M3, G6, Supercard again any will do

- The hacked firmware to install attatched is v7 with brightness control for the Lite and Regular DS.

FOR THE DS lite

Before flaming begins that this is not my video tutorial it is made by a guy called Timber_Dragon and I am taking no credit for it at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ePwfuWoULQ

For the Regular DS

Again not my video this is the work of someone called Switcherz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxK-myKM0Bo

The flashme website is http://ds.gcdev.com/dsfirmware/

There are 3 files included in the ZIP file.

flashme.nds - One that most people will use.
flashme_stealth.nds - Keeps warning screen
noflashme.nds - Original firmware

Hope this helps some people :D

edit: The movies were embedded in the post but html has been turned off

comp1demon
July 7th, 2006, 10:19
Great Info - U got PM

Jayjames
July 7th, 2006, 19:40
will this work on uk ds lite????

Mazza
July 7th, 2006, 20:45
yes it will work on the ds lite

Jayjames
July 7th, 2006, 21:03
i have m3 mini sd and mml, do i need to do the IQsram thing shown in video?
update!
loaded flash me on m3 card loaded it from m3 menu
flashme says "waring your firmware is not reconized.if you continue,it mat not restore your firmware to its original state push start anyway."

Mazza
July 7th, 2006, 21:58
push start to continue anyway, then it will proceed with the short sl1 thing

Jayjames
July 8th, 2006, 19:28
all done .thx

Junixx
July 29th, 2006, 05:32
:D I <3 Flashme now, just got done flahsing my DS, works ALOT better and saved me abtou $25....

pokothehobo
August 3rd, 2006, 22:29
is there anyway to make it so that the firmware boots up the original nintendo firmware and you hold down select for the custom firmware? also is there any way to undo this?

Junixx
August 4th, 2006, 23:54
I don't think you can do your first question, but yes you can go back to using the original DS's firmware

pokothehobo
August 5th, 2006, 00:46
I don't think you can do your first question, but yes you can go back to using the original DS's firmware

alright, and i guess with the stealth firmware it only boots into the flash cart when the flash cart is in my ds right?

Junixx
August 5th, 2006, 01:02
alright, and i guess with the stealth firmware it only boots into the flash cart when the flash cart is in my ds right?

Yea, thats also true with the normal version also

pokothehobo
August 5th, 2006, 01:22
alright one more question, do i need one of those big bulkey passkey things to flash my ds, or can i just use a passcard?

Junixx
August 5th, 2006, 04:22
I used a superpass but im pretty sure you can use a passcard or something, you just need to get your M3 or whatever you use into DS mode

lettuce
August 7th, 2006, 23:33
If u use the flashme_stealth firmware, does it show the health screen before it shows the supercard logo, or will it only show the health warning screen when the supercard isnt inserted??

deviouscontrol
August 8th, 2006, 09:04
If u use the flashme_stealth firmware, does it show the health screen before it shows the supercard logo, or will it only show the health warning screen when the supercard isnt inserted??

For me it only shows it when the supercard is not inserted.

lettuce
August 9th, 2006, 20:55
cool, how does the flashing work if your using a superpass2, you dont need to have metriod first hunt card do you?

animboo
August 16th, 2006, 13:38
can i use the superkey..?how do i know the firmware of my ds lite, or if it will be safe to flash..?

getarhed1
August 22nd, 2006, 02:38
ok, stupid question, but can you flash a ds lite with the max media dock and the max media player?

Heatseeker86
August 23rd, 2006, 04:16
Hi,

this flashing of the ds lite firmware is great and all and I plan on doing so when I get one in the coming weeks, but, the only thing thats holding me back is the noflashme.... does it really work for ds lite and THOROUGHLY WORK? Will it return it to exactly how it was? Im hearing stories of it screwing up the pictochat and this and that so Id just like to know... Sorry but flashme_stealth just isnt good enough for me.... :-)

so, theres a flashme v7 that has been modified to support the extra functions on the ds lite.... that being said, has the noflashme also been modified to restore it to its original ds lite state?

xdanny_boyx
September 6th, 2006, 14:18
I'd also like to know the answer to the above questions...

defkickjam
October 16th, 2006, 09:07
how many games aprox can u fit in a 512micro-sd card.

amoot329
October 20th, 2006, 11:45
This is all sounds kinda easy to me to do but my question is that do i really need to flash my DS lite? I'm using the Max Media Dock, the newer one without the CF card (purchase your own). The health warning doesn't bother me all that much, if i don't have the max media launcher in there, it boots up as normal, once that mml is in there, it boots up straight into MML, yeah it does show the health warning screen but you don't need to click/touch to continue...

EDIT: Ok i've gone and flashed my DS lite with the flashme, doesn't seem to have made a difference apart from removing that health warning screen lol. Still doesn't boot up with the max media dock, still needs the media launcher to start it up. At least that warning screen has disappeared.

DooMeh1
October 23rd, 2006, 22:06
Is that little screw thing in the regular DS too? I would like to know so i know EXACTLY what to do:

-i would like to know what to watch out for
(because they didnt talk in vid for regular)

etc etc

Help would be appriceated! <---If misspelled, sorry.

(BTW I have Max Media CF, I know it wont boot directly, but i hate that warning screen! :p )

DooMeh1
October 23rd, 2006, 23:50
anyone, other people posted topics and they got replies 10 mins later and i wait 5 hours :(

-now its been 8 hours since posted :( :( :(

Junixx
October 25th, 2006, 00:32
Oh I didn't even see any new posts in this thread, but the little screw thing is on the original DS also, when you take it off there will be a little red and white sticker (i think, been a while since I've flashed a DS) take it off, just try not to push it into the hole it is covering up, and I've also heard that you should not put whatever youe shorting the SL1 port with in the other holes. Anyway, dont worry if the progress on the Flashme program has stopped, just keep trying to short the SL1 and hold it there, it shouldnt take too long...

And yes i have a problem with run-on sentences

DooMeh1
October 25th, 2006, 00:58
Thank you for answering. I am just a little unsure about flashing because i just got my DS back from nintendo because I fried the main circuit board...

I am also a little clumsy and i dont want to drop it and have the power plug come out. :eek:

-edit-

btw I fried it with a little experiment when I accidently touched two contacts on a circuit board and shorted my DS's main board.

Bonic
October 26th, 2006, 01:31
...What does flashing a DS Do? I flashed it with MMD....what do I do now?

kcajblue
October 26th, 2006, 01:36
flashing a DS is basically having a permanent passme.

trustyzuboo
November 20th, 2006, 12:22
Hi guys, I have just bought a ds lite.

Basically i am in the UK and dont want to pay 30 pound a pop to play the thing.

I want to be able to download the games from the net and play them.

What do i need to buy to do this? and how do i do it?

DO i need to flash it or is there a way around it with the right cards and all that stuff?

Cheers!

Trustyzuboo

kcajblue
November 21st, 2006, 02:57
Hi guys, I have just bought a ds lite.

Basically i am in the UK and dont want to pay 30 pound a pop to play the thing.

I want to be able to download the games from the net and play them.

What do i need to buy to do this? and how do i do it?

DO i need to flash it or is there a way around it with the right cards and all that stuff?

Cheers!

Trustyzuboono damn rom talk.

Vinsent
March 22nd, 2007, 01:22
If i use the stealth mode firmware patch will i still get the battery bonus?

DanTheManMS
March 22nd, 2007, 02:38
What battery bonus are you talking about? FlashMe doesn't really increase the battery life when using homebrew. You can always eject your NoPass device after the menu is loaded in order to gain some battery life, which will have the same effect as using FlashMe to boot the device with nothing in slot-1.

Vinsent
March 22nd, 2007, 02:53
What battery bonus are you talking about? FlashMe doesn't really increase the battery life when using homebrew. You can always eject your NoPass device after the menu is loaded in order to gain some battery life, which will have the same effect as using FlashMe to boot the device with nothing in slot-1.

Thats kind of what i meant does it still work with the stealth mode instead of the normal?

DanTheManMS
March 22nd, 2007, 23:38
It really won't make a difference which version of FlashMe you use.

Airzon50
March 23rd, 2007, 23:30
is anybody's touch screen a little inaccurate in pictochat after flashing? :confused:

kcajblue
March 23rd, 2007, 23:38
nope

Nold
March 28th, 2007, 20:06
Hi,

I have the same question then animboo had.
But wasn't answered ^^:

Can I use SuperKey instead of a Passme Device to flash my DS?

EDIT: Answer: Yes it works well! ^^

Thanks

Bye Nold

satan4004
April 12th, 2007, 16:08
ok so ive got a r4ds, and ive loaded the flashme update to it, it loads up press start x b x b, can i flash the my ds with the r4 card, anyone?

brownpants2k
November 7th, 2007, 11:47
hi, sorry to be a pain but the videos have been taken off youtube...
therefore can someone write a step-by-step tutorial which ocvers the video detail, or simply re-upload the video somewhere else?
thanks

Propa McGanda
March 5th, 2008, 21:21
2nded! Random google-ers damnand zee video! If we don't get what we want, internet threats ensue! I'm a black guy and I know karate and I'll kick all of your butts. O_O

tattoomuzzz
August 21st, 2008, 13:13
hi can some 1 help me please i just got a nds lite 4 my son i have downloaded games from utorrent what is the best & easy way 2 transfer them 2 the ds lite. is it the supercard or r4 or g6 ds- real 16gbit 2gigabite, any help would be great thanks...?

posh-Sassy
November 30th, 2008, 21:18
Hi, I'm trying to get my daughter a card that holds all ds games on - what do i need. Is is a R4 and extra's... bloke is trying to sell my firmware pre-installed for 3.99 - is that a rip off! thanks for reading... hope you reply.

SifJar
February 22nd, 2009, 15:48
hi can some 1 help me please i just got a nds lite 4 my son i have downloaded games from utorrent what is the best & easy way 2 transfer them 2 the ds lite. is it the supercard or r4 or g6 ds- real 16gbit 2gigabite, any help would be great thanks...?

the easiest way get games on ds is with the official carts you PIRATE.:mad:

mikedpw0
January 26th, 2010, 18:57
Has anyone else found that their DSlite battery cover is completely impossible to remove? That tiny little screw just won't budge at all.