PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Homebrew game.

jinzomanz
June 23rd, 2006, 20:02
Game Design
Title: Naruto: Road to Hokage

Controls:
L: Block
R: Block
Triangle: Jutsu #1
Circle: Jump
Cross: Strike
Square: Justu #2
R + Triangle: Jutsu #3
R + Square: Jutsu #4
L+R: Special Technique
Down+R: Molding Chakra

Game Genre: Side-Scrolling and One-on-One Combat.

Game Synopsis: Play as the young Ninja Uzumaki Naruto and his many friends in a quest to gain the title as the greatest Ninja in his village, Hokage. Fight your way against powerful villains on your quest to become the best ninja in Konohagakure.

Playable Characters (32)
Uzumaki Naruto
Uchiha Sasuke
Haruno Sakura
Hatake Kakashi
Momochi Zabuza
Haku
Rock Lee
Hyuuga Neji
TenTen
Hyuuga Hinata
Inuzuka Kiba
Aburame Shino
Yamanaka Ino
Akimichi Choji
Nara Shikamaru
Gaara
Temari
Kankuro
Maito Gai
Orochimaru
Jiraiya
Tsunade
Kabuto
Uchiha Itachi
Hoshigake Kisame
Jirobo
Kidomaru
Sakon & Ukon
Tayuya
Kaguya Kimimaro
Curse Seal form Sasuke
One Tail Kyuubi Naruto

Non-Playable Characters (2)
Mizuki
Dosu
Orochimaru (In the form of the Hidden Grass Nin)

How are Justu’s used?

In Naruto every character has at least one Jutsu. Underneath your health bar you have your “Chakra Bar.” Your Chakra bar has four levels and each jutsu takes a certain level to be used. Let’s use Naruto for example, his Jutsu’s Include.:

Uzumaki Naruto: Four Jutsus

Jutsu #1: Kage Bunshin no Jutsu (One Chakra Bar)
-Naruto makes multiple clones of himself to attack the opponent.

Jutsu #2: U-ZU-MA-KI! Naruto Rendan! (Two Chakra Bars)
-Naruto uses his clones to land a combo of attacks on his opponent.

Jutsu #3: Kuchiyose no Jutsu (Three Chakra Bars)
-Naruto Summons the Frog Boss, Gamabunta to cause huge damage to the opponent no matter where he/she is on the screen.

Jutsu #4: RASENGAN! (Four Chakra Bars)
-Naruto concentrates the chakra in his palm into a small sphere and strikes his opponent with it.

Now as you can see, each different Jutsu requires a different amount of Chakra. At the beginning of a battle you start off with one Jutsu Bar. You can gain more Jutsu by either striking your opponent or molding your chakra, but remember, you are vulnerable to an attack when you are molding your Chakra. Now, lets say Naruto has three bars of Chakra, he can use either Jutsu 1-3, but not #4 since he does have the proper amount of Chakra needed. Now some characters have special moves that can be used by pressing L+R at the same time. Like Sasuke for instance:

Uchiha Sasuke:
L+R Special (Sharingan): Instantly block and immediately counter strike successfully. (Does not work against Jutsus.) This can be used until your Chakra gauge is completely depleted.

Now with this by losing Chakra from your Chakra gauge every second while this Special is activated you can keep the effect of the special until your gauge is completely depleted. But if you don’t want to use all your Chakra, pressing L+R again will stop the effect of the Special and stop your Chakra gauge from depleting.

Okay, this is what I have so far. Expect to see:
-A list of Missions in Story Mode.
-A list of every characters technique
-Concept Screen(s)

Last Updated: 6/24/06

yaustar
June 23rd, 2006, 20:16
There is no reason why it can not be a homebrew game.

Ballpark figures depending on the size of the game:
5 artists
1 sound engineer
3-5 programmers
~6 months solid.
Some QA testers.

jinzomanz
June 23rd, 2006, 20:20
alright then cool. I'm currently working on Missions right now (I'm at the begining of the Chuunin exam battles) and so now I just need a team to help me with it.

gunntims0103
June 23rd, 2006, 20:30
well from what i know now theres a game for the psp thats coming out like this a naruto one that im looking forward to........i personally love naruto so go for it........wen you talk about a one-on-one combat your refuring to the type of combat in the gba title naruto ninja council am i correct

if you do try and make this game what will be your developing platform coding in c++ , lua things like that

Gizmo356
June 23rd, 2006, 20:39
thats a great idea i love Naruto

jinzomanz
June 23rd, 2006, 20:39
yeah, the one on one combat is going to be like the hand held Naruto games like the ones on DS.

ACID
June 23rd, 2006, 20:43
Great idea ilova 2d fighters

ACID
June 23rd, 2006, 20:44
if i only had time for this id love to code for the psp

jinzomanz
June 23rd, 2006, 20:48
so, i just need coders and things of that nature.

yaustar
June 24th, 2006, 00:49
You best bet is to get a proper game design document together so people an look at it and decide if they want to commit to it since it is a large project to consider.

The Game design document should detail everything about the game:
Controls
Concept screens
Combat system
Games system
Characters
Background story
etc.

jinzomanz
June 24th, 2006, 15:53
when you say game system, do you mean game genre?

Gizmo356
June 24th, 2006, 16:00
good luck with this game looks very promising i hope i can help in anyway i can

yaustar
June 24th, 2006, 16:51
when you say game system, do you mean game genre?
Actually, I have no clue what I meant by that :confused: ignore it.

if you do try and make this game what will be your developing platform coding in c++ , lua things like that
It be in a programming language, possibly with some scripting. There is no way that this can be done in straight Lua effectiviely.

jinzomanz
June 25th, 2006, 01:59
Updated the first page with Game Concepts and such.

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 02:40
Things that are currently missing/questionable.

One button for a standard attack? Seems a little boring for subject matter such as Naruto. Throwing stars? Combos? Exploding tags? Wall Jumps etc?

The special techniques for Naruto, how will they work? Attack range? Time for execution? Attack damage?

It does sound promising though. As soon as you have a reasonable complete design document up, some developers should want to take it up.

jinzomanz
June 25th, 2006, 03:12
Things that are currently missing/questionable.

One button for a standard attack? Seems a little boring for subject matter such as Naruto. Throwing stars? Combos? Exploding tags? Wall Jumps etc?

The special techniques for Naruto, how will they work? Attack range? Time for execution? Attack damage?

It does sound promising though. As soon as you have a reasonable complete design document up, some developers should want to take it up.

Have you ever played DragonBall: Advanced Adventure? Well, press the attack button once and it'd be a punch, press it rapidly and you'd get combos.

In story mode, you''d pick up items to use such as throwing stars, needles, exploding tags, etc...

I knew I forgot to add the controls for wall jump, I'll put them in ASAP. :o

jinzomanz
June 25th, 2006, 23:05
Well, below are two poorly done screens for my game. (I suck at paint) The first one is the adventure mode screen. The bar at the very top is the health bar and right below it is the chakra bar seperated into four different sections, in this screen only the first chakra section is filled meaning he only has One Chakra Bar. In the second screen is an example of battle mode, the bars are the same except for two things:
1.) They are filled to the 4th Chakra Bar*
2.) There is no Score counter by their name since they are in battle mode.

*In both battle and advenutre modes characters will only start with One Chakra Bar

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/jinzomanz/AdventureModeScreen.gif

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/jinzomanz/BattleScreen.gif

I'm currently still working on Missions and hope to have them up tonight or tommorow.

Gizmo356
June 25th, 2006, 23:14
nice screens

jinzomanz
June 25th, 2006, 23:25
nice screens

Thanks, I wish I could of made them better.

So, is anyone actually interested about working on this game because I don't want to do all this for nothing.

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 23:36
The best thing you can do is build up the document and file it when someone/team comes along and shows interest. They will prefer to see a completed document rather then a half finished one.

The most important element that needs to be finished is the main combat system The missions can be done during development of the game but the core of the game (the combat system, basic/standard moves) needs to be ready so they can get started on it right away.

I have a friend that has a folder full of ideas but no one to implement them yet he still works on them/refining them waiting for someone to pick it up.

Gizmo356
June 25th, 2006, 23:48
i would help but rite know ive only learned how to make a hello world program

jinzomanz
June 26th, 2006, 00:19
ok, I'll be sure to start working on my combat system.