PDA

View Full Version : Mame engine

Haggisdodger
June 25th, 2006, 11:31
Hi im not a programmer or pretend to know about programming but I was in town yesterday and saw classics like mortal kombat ported to the psp from the arcade version. Is there not any way you could rip the core engine from these games and implement it in mame to make games of that era run.

Hawq
June 25th, 2006, 15:45
Even if there was it would be highly illegal to take the stuff froma commercial release like that & we wouldnt support such things.

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 15:45
Simple answer no.

Long answer: The best thing to do would to develop a new emulator or strip an existing emulator to emulate specific arcade board Series (eg CPS1, CPS2 etc).

After re-reading the question: Definitely no if you are talking about ripping an engine from a commercial. Also, you can't be sure if it was an emulator, it could quite easily be a port.

Haggisdodger
June 25th, 2006, 22:10
sorry to be ignorant but can you tell me the difference between a port and emulation would a port not require emulation to some extent? sorry i'm just a curious person.

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 22:11
Port != Emulation
Porting means you take the existing code, change any platform specific code and recompile it for the target machine.

Emulate means that you are creating a new program that acts as an abstract layer between the game image/data and the host machine. As far as the game image/data is concerned, it thinks it is running on the original hardware.

Kaiser
June 25th, 2006, 23:33
Sonic Mega Collection is a bunch of Genesis games emulated on a PS2 or Gamecube, while the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 is a watered down port of the GC version. Game companies usually make the decison on whether to port or emulate a game depending on how easy each process is.