PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 PSP or GP2X?

timk99
June 25th, 2006, 19:03
I know there are various threads on this but they all end up in arguments about how the PSP is better because it has commercial games and it doesn't need any hacks to play homebrew.

Forget about all that. I can easily get my hands on a 1.5 PSP.

Which is better JUST for homebrew, emulators and video playback (not interested in commercial games).

Gizmo356
June 25th, 2006, 19:06
1.5 psp in my opinion

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 19:08
Gp2x. The developers don't get fed up of trying to fight the firmware issues, video support is far better as it supports DivX and Xvid AVIs without re-encoding or scaling. Plays OGG and MP3s natively and despite popular belief, it does have an image viewer. The screen has a better refresh rate so it doesn't ghost as much as the PSP.

Developing for the console is very easy thanks to its open-ish nature and support libraries. Emulators match the PSP (give or take some issues). For example the SNES emulator is not as good as the PSP's but the GP2X's NeoGeo AES/MVS out does the PSP's easily.

Since the whole GP2X vs PSP has been done to death:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=29336
http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?...d=1#post739148

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NrTS_ut74&search=gp2x

My personal opinion:
In short: GP2X > PSP
The GP2X to me has a more interesting community as it was designed for home development. I am currently programming for it, it has a good selection of homebrew and emulators and its only going to get better as time gets by. I believe the PSP has just hit a dead end, homebrew just doesn't seem to be progressing much (barring the N64 emulator).

V3N0M
June 25th, 2006, 19:14
LOL well if you do not care about updating and do not want comercial games then i would recomend a PSP 1.5 As There is more homebrew made and being made for it. It has a Bigger screen and is higher quality. But the decision is entiraly up to you.

Cooe14
June 25th, 2006, 19:16
Depends. Do you want a N64 emulator (psp), or a PlayStation emulator (Gp2x)?

timk99
June 25th, 2006, 20:09

Preferrably both ;)

Of the two, probably N64 because you'd fit more roms on the memory cad.

gunntims0103
June 25th, 2006, 20:40

lets not forget that sony is rumored to be creating a playstation emu for the psp and is strrrnmm gets the daedalus emu up to par or even psmonkey with his m64 emu then we could very well see playstaion and nintendo 64 being fully emulated on the psp

not taking anything away from gp2x

\/oid
June 25th, 2006, 20:52
i love my psp its the firmware battle i dont like.if only c++ could flow freely on the psp...for homebrew at least i would take the gp2x.

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 21:08
lets not forget that sony is rumored to be creating a playstation emu for the psp
Which you need to update the firmware to get and gmaes that you need to pay for.

jOeBrO
June 25th, 2006, 22:48
dev-hook will solve the updating issue

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 23:01
What happens if Sony stops dev hook from working when they release their PS1 'emulator'? This is the problem with the PSP, the 'development platform' is unstable and that really does annoy users and developers.

gunntims0103
June 25th, 2006, 23:09
well if the mod chip is true to its nature and does what its made to do then the homebrew world will ultimatly win the battle of the updates......cause with the mod chip you could go to 3.0 firware(lets just say this is the updated fireware were the ps1 emu is released by sony) and then with a quick push of a botton go back to 1.5 for all homebrew capabilitys.........but the cost of the mod chip is outrageous and i highly dout many will have it wen it first comes out many will wait until the mod chip is confirmed as being able to go to the fireware that contains the ps1 emu and then go back to 1.5.....i for one will wait until cost drops

yaustar
June 25th, 2006, 23:14
Forget the price, have you seen how to install the damn thing? And I thought Saturn mod chips were hard :eek:

BeingErnest
June 26th, 2006, 01:49
I've got a PSP, but the GP2X is so tempting with the Playstation Emulator and on that handheld homebrew is encouraged not looked down upon as something wrong and unlawful...

Also, Sony will probably squeeze every last penny out of us for their PSone Emulator. There is a general feeling that fees around the £50 mark will be charged to be able to put games you already have on the system. I'm against this but if the games are updates and include better graphics and new features (2 player wi-fi) then 'd I'd say get a PSP...I'm not going to get it if it involves having to buy all the PSone games I already have again...

B.E.

BeingErnest
June 26th, 2006, 02:01
Sony have already made changes to their hardware to prevent newer PSP's from being able to use the U.P. hardware. If I were Sony I'd be waiting to see what coders/hackers come up with using the U.P. hardware well before releasing the PSOne emulator... I'd be hoping for some Coder to release a Firmware 3.0 unofficial update and then get my development team to do a workround. I'd even consider luring people to upgrade by having them download a demo version of the PSPOne emulator with demo games and then having something in the code which would prevent them from updrading or downgrading the software again and make it so that all future updates have to be done via the main Sony PSP Official Website....

Totally hypothetical of course... hope it never happens and we get full access to homebrew on every firmware.

B.E.

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 02:18
first of all how do you know that sony made changes to thier hardware find the site that gives this info

btw stop double posting thiers a edit funtion on your post for that

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 03:22
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27328

"The U.P. team have released the first set of installation diagrams for their upcoming modchip.The diagrams show installation position of the FPC cables , traces which require soldering of wire to and usage procedure of the installation aids. The first release is for Motherboard TA-079, with TA-080 and TA-081 to follow tomorrow. TA-082 is not supported, however, they seem to be limited to Asia and have 2.6 or above firmwares. We believe that overall numbers of TA-082 as a proportion compared with TA-079, TA-080 and TA-081, should be quite limited."

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 03:27
thanx for the info yaustar i knew that.......it doesnt mean that sony changed the psp to counter act the mod chip they just have two different versions of the psp one thats compatible and one thats not is all

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 03:38
What's stopping them from doing it in the future though? Microsoft certainly did with their Xbox.

Bubby_the_Tour_G
June 26th, 2006, 03:53
LOL, if you happen to be a rich kid, get them both!!! But if you are a poor man, then... steal both!!!

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 04:13
I'd rather have the PSP 1.50 than the GP2X, because the PSP has a better SNES emu and also has some great commercial games that can be played with Devhook 0.41. But if you want better MAME and Genesis emulation you should go with the GP2X.

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 04:24
Dont forget the GP2X has much better Neo Geo AES/MVS support and emulation :)

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 05:09
PSP has flawless Neo-Geo CD emulation though, so that nullifies the GP2X's advantage in AES/MVS.

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 16:27
No it doesn't, the Neo Geo AES and MVS has a much wider selection of games and uses less space (12 meg for Metal Slug 1). SNK vs Capcom Chaos anyone?

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 20:22
CD versions have better music. Plus, pretty much every major Neo Geo franchise has at least one game released on the Neo CD, so you aren't missing much by not having access to the AES only versions.

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 20:31
It still doesn't change the fact that the GP2X has a full speed emulator for both the Neo Geo MVS/AES and CD machines.

There are a lot of users who would like to play Garou Mark of the Wolves, Blazing Star or Metal Slug 3, 4 and X etc on the PSP but cannot (yet) due to the RAM limiatations or because that they were not released for the Neo Geo CD.

To say that PSP are not missing much in terms of Neo Geo games is correct. They are missing a lot, almost 100 games in fact.

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 21:10
Other than Blazing Star, the games you mentioned (and most AES exclusives in general) are all sequels to games that appeared on Neo CD, and let's face it, they aren't that different than their predecessors. I don't think anybody would pick a GP2X over a PSP because they can play Samurai Showdown V or King of Fighters 2000 when they can play several of the earlier iterations flawlessly on the PSP. The fact remains that Neo Geo emulation is not a major selling point for GP2X over PSP.

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 21:33
Tell that to the guy who wants to play Garou Mark of the Wolves on his PSP in the Neo Geo thread at the moment.

Edit: I call it quits here, obviously we have different opinions and this can go on for pages. I am agreeing to disagree.

The GP2X's PC engine emulator now supports CD rom games (not sure if the PSP has). Also the GP2X is on the verge of getting a mini desktop with X server:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=29316

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 22:07
Garou is the same series as Fatal Fury, isn't it? Those games came out for Neo CD.

The PSP has had Turbo CD emulation for nearly a year now. PSP has great Multimedia/Networking tools such as PMP as well, although I haven't used them so I couldn't tell you much about them.

brumma
July 14th, 2006, 14:12
Garou is the same series as Fatal Fury, isn't it? Those games came out for Neo CD.

I'm not trying to start any arguments, but I just have to put in my 2 cents here... As a long-time Neo-Geo AES owner, I can tell you that Garou: Mark of the Wolves is worlds apart from any of the previous Fatal Fury iterations.

jwilds73
July 14th, 2006, 14:36
I will get a GPX2 eventually the TV output and fully open source development are very inviting. Right now the PSP scene is great with ability to emulate the latest firmware and play all current homebrew. GPX2 is more of a niche market item you'll never see one in Gamestop or other major gaming shops. So your general public will never even know about it. However it is a great system with a great scene behind it.