PDA

View Full Version : PSPVBA: GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP v1.0.1 (beta)

zx-81
June 25th, 2006, 23:50
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspvba-snap-1.jpg

Hi All,

VisualBoyAdvance is an emulator for GameBoy Advance console.
See http://vba.ngemu.com/ for further informations.

PSPVBA is a port on PSP of the Linux version 1.7.2 of VisualBoyAdvance with SDL support.

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

It's a first beta release, and as we could expect, it doesn't run full speed !

I've done many optimizations to reach the full speed, in particular i've translated all
the original source code from c++ to pure C langage for performance purposes,
but that's not enough :( ...

Nevertheless, all required features for an emulator are already presents such as
sound, "save states", customizable keys mapping, screenshots etc ...

The sound suport is based on the work of psp298, but it is not really good (mainly due to speed).

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :)

Zx.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

CandieC
June 25th, 2006, 23:54
simply awsome man! keep up the good work! lets bring full speed gba to the psp!, also this is a blunt offer if you need any help coding anything i have 7+ years experiance let me know what you need help with. side note i have never programmed for the psp yet but i have done alot for the xbox scene, well cya.

gunntims0103
June 25th, 2006, 23:54
i knew it i knew it remember a while back wen i pm'ed you about making a gba emu your actually attemtpting it thats alsum

thats why i said your my favorite psp coder stay on this project this is gonna be great

hey zx-81 notice anything different from last time i spoke to you look at my title im a psp coder too.....trying to follow in your footstep.....lol

seriously keep at this this is gonna be great next to n64 emu this is the next big thing cant wait to see if ya get this full speed

EDIT--

hey if we hope to get n64 running at full speed we have to at least get this running at full speed best of luck and i hope you pull this off

this is huge

Airdevil
June 25th, 2006, 23:59
im so glad someone is finally having another go at trying to attempt this :p

good luck with the project, it wud be quite awesome having full speed emulation. Be sure to update us regulary :)

Gizmo356
June 26th, 2006, 00:04
dont give up

bballking
June 26th, 2006, 00:05
There is a God...thank you thank you thank you....keep working on this project...have people forgotten how AWESOME!!! GBA is....a full speed emulator would be heavenly...why cant a team of coders work together....just an idea? it seems that with multilple coders working on the N64 emu alot more is getting done...anyway KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK...if u make this emu full speed you will be in my eyes the best psp coder of all time

:)

Zephyroth_drgs
June 26th, 2006, 00:07
good news, a gba emulator have a true potential, dont let it down, im sure that we all want something like this, maybe it could be playable some day
cheer up!

brew123
June 26th, 2006, 00:17
this is totally sick! I thot everyone had given up hope on this project, but of course the scene's best coder has brought hope!

pspfan
June 26th, 2006, 00:19
Great news that you're porting this. I hope it will be as successful as all your other emulators. You are already extremely well-known but you will be a coding legend if you can make it near full speed. You are already awesome in my eyes for taking up this project!

cal360
June 26th, 2006, 00:20
you are my most favarourite coder. getting a GBA emulator running already with sound is a great aceivment dont give up up on it a full speed emulator would be the best

Eleetist
June 26th, 2006, 00:27
Just adding to the praise. I rarely post, but this is worth it. Thank you for taking up this project, as you can see, it is very appreciated :D

slaphappygamer
June 26th, 2006, 00:29
"simply awsome man! keep up the good work! lets bring full speed gba to the psp!" -candiceC

i 2nd that. keep that train movin'. id love to play gadget racers full speed on psp's awsome screen. i may be selling my gba sp with a 4g flash cart soon!

monkmonk
June 26th, 2006, 00:34
thanks man for bringing the psp gba emulator scene back alive thought it was finally going to rest.

Sumo X
June 26th, 2006, 00:45
I'm absolutely thrilled that someone is giving a GBA emulator another go.

Great work- I look forward to seeing its progress. If zx makes significant progress and sticks with it, I would be happy to donate some money through paypal to him for the hard work.

mavsman4457
June 26th, 2006, 00:46
Once again it is great to see something that was worked on a long time ago and now there is news and progress on it. Maybe now Pacmanfan will come out with some news of the progress on his PS1 emulator. Maybe . . .

compukid2020
June 26th, 2006, 00:51
You totally rock dude!!!! I Don't normally leave comments. I've been following the psp scene since kxploit and this homebrew has put the biggest smile on my face:) . Yu Gi Oh is like totally playable!! Sound would be good and also full screen. But i'll be patient, Please take as long as you need to get this running 100%. YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!!

jman420
June 26th, 2006, 00:51
Freekin' sweet! GBA on PSP would freekin' rule!
I cant wait for a gamma release!

amadeus
June 26th, 2006, 01:00
Tidy piece of work ZX...
I was wondering if you would try your hand at a GBA port!
Both Harvest moon and R-Type 3 are very playable!

If your taking requests for future releases....
The full screen mode is great but any chance of a scanline option? Love that old school feel!

BTW my first comp was a ZX81 : )
Ah the joys of spending a day hammering basic out on a touch pad keyboard only to have it crash on you at the end. ..

PsychoSync
June 26th, 2006, 01:03
That's great Zx! If this can eventually run at near full speed, even with some frameskip allowing the sound to play without chopping, we'll have castlevania games on PSP!

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 01:06
im estatic cause i remember pm'ing zx-81 about thsi he told me that it would be close to inpossible to do it cause the cpu speed of the psp would not be neerly enough processing speed to fully emulated the gba or sum thin lik that...........zx-81 i knew you were holding out on me

your alsum stick with this project your a living legend bro

DarkworldPrince
June 26th, 2006, 01:24
Great work... but most of you really need to buy a bloody ds and a supercard if you expect anything playable anytime soon.

aries2k4
June 26th, 2006, 01:38
Good to hear your giving this one a shot. keep it up!!

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 01:39
mush faster than the PSPGBA 1.1 by psp298

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 01:41
how long do you took to port it?

kcc86
June 26th, 2006, 01:44
hopefully someone will actually finish it... most coders just start a project and then a few months later, the project is never heard of again... but zx81 has a pretty good coding background so im looking forward to more releases. good luck

Kvonx
June 26th, 2006, 01:44
finally.........i've bin waitin 4 dis since........i cant remember!!!! thank u hope u accomplish dis project an get it at full speed!!! jus keep us updated on ur success

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 01:48
Great work... but most of you really need to buy a bloody ds and a supercard if you expect anything playable anytime soon.

what do you mean buy a ds i believe that zx-81 will have sumthing close to full speed in a short time i could be wrong but theres no need i think a full speed gba emu can be fully achieved soon no need to buy a ds

how long do you took to port it?

who cares how long it tolk to port as long as its up there this is freaken alsum..........although i am wondering how long it tolk if it was a port from an original emu it shouldnt have been long am i correct

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 01:52
The speed to could get aleat 85% close to orignal, i hope

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 02:00
never give up and go all the way!!!!
your my last hope on GBA emulator

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 02:00
some screenshot

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 02:02
I can say, it is very playable now.

but with sound tune up and change the SDL to GU
that will be wonderful

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 02:19
dude, so whats the purpose of the psp emulation for......
also, some people already has a DS, but its just collecting dust such as mine

tsurumaru
June 26th, 2006, 02:22
Hey Zx-81, nice work have you considered moving the sound processes over to the Media Engine like SNESTYL?

Harshboy
June 26th, 2006, 02:22
GBA Emulation will get to full speed emulation. Just look at the great progress with the N64 Emulators. Its just that no-one since now was working on getting GBA emulation working right. Btw, great job:D Im using IRShell to use it wirelessly:p

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 02:25
hmm........curious but this emu isnt loading any of my zip file extensions its only loading all of my gba file extensions anyone else have this same problem or is it just me maybe its cause im using the 2.0x version who knows???

EDIT--

my screen shots that i take throu the emu isnt working eirther im doin sumthin wrong???

Hey Zx-81, nice work have you considered moving the sound processes over to the Media Engine like SNESTYL?

Good idea in theory, but using the Media Engine would shut out all 2.x users from this emulator. That would be cutting out a massive amount of the community from using the emulator...

Now if he can get the emulation speed working well with both Media Engine and without, like SNES9xTYL, then I'm all for it. But until then, I think he should worry about support for all PSP homebrew users, not just the small amount of 1.5s.

sroon
June 26th, 2006, 03:26
Thank you sooo much bud!!
Now I can play Metroid Fusion on the oll big screen!

Lodis
June 26th, 2006, 03:33
Good idea in theory, but using the Media Engine would shut out all 2.x users from this emulator. That would be cutting out a massive amount of the community from using the emulator...

Now if he can get the emulation speed working well with both Media Engine and without, like SNES9xTYL, then I'm all for it. But until then, I think he should worry about support for all PSP homebrew users, not just the small amount of 1.5s.

In time he should do what the Snes TYL devs did, create a seperate ME version. I have a feeling it might be able to run faster on 1.5, of course this depends on if any exclusive kernel functions are used / needed.

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 03:39
In time he should do what the Snes TYL devs did, create a seperate ME version. I have a feeling it might be able to run faster on 1.5, of course this depends on if any exclusive kernel functions are used / needed.

im not sure zx-81 will make an exclusive 1.5 version of this emu as he always like's to keep his emu's e-loader friendly........if im correct i may be wrong but i think he test his projects on e-loader primarily tho i might be wrong..........but i hope this emu will be avaliable on 2.0 and up that way this emu can be enjoyed by all

great work zx-81 keep it up

Video_freak
June 26th, 2006, 03:40

hehe so is mine :) ...

btw, i hope you succeed with this emu, you have brought gba emulation on psp back alive!!!

mog
June 26th, 2006, 03:48
Very nice zx, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance runs pretty well.
That's the main game I miss playing from my GBA.

Sound support still seems fairly pointless at the moment, but I'm sure with ME support it could sound great.

It would be nice to see zip file support on this emulator. It would make a lot of difference with gba games.
For example FFTA is 5.6mb zipped, 16.4mb unziped! :eek:

Anyway, Great job so far zx! :)

thePavelish
June 26th, 2006, 03:58
can someone give fps count on some games? i can't test this myself for a while =x

pkmaximum
June 26th, 2006, 03:59
Well I hope to see great work from this emulator in the future. I'm actually surprised that VBA was picked back up instead of just using the source of PSP GBA V1.1 because that emulator seemed to be pushing along great. Except for the fact the coder decided that he did not want to work on the emulator any more. But for the sound part of the emulator I agree and think that acessing the Media Engine of the 1.5 firmware will increase the sound quality by a great amount. But I wish you the best of luck ZX81 and I hope to see great progress on this emulator. Zelda Minish of Cap not exsactly playable yet....but it will get here ^_^

shenske37
June 26th, 2006, 04:00
i'm estatic that someone has picked up the gba emulation! you have our 100% support, i'm looking forward to this very much! keep up the great work, and good luck!

Cho Aniki
June 26th, 2006, 04:04
Heres some pics I took.
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7190/cast18uj.png
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/4629/cast20fm.png
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9940/steel12rf.png
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1830/steel29vj.png

I have found that with alot of love and patience and sound off alot of games are quite playable , I have high hopes for the future of this emu:)

tophead420
June 26th, 2006, 04:16
dood might i say u F N PWN im glad to see sum1 restart work on the gba emu unlike those who give up on it well dont give up dood keep on keepn on and thanx agn keep up the o so pwning work lol o and if u need a 2.6 tester here i be lol

Shiesty
June 26th, 2006, 04:22
i think a little semen came out

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 04:24

?????????????????? What:eek:

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 04:32

wow!!!:eek:

btw can anyone tell me how to take screen shots thru the emu cause everytime i do i plug my psp into the computer and wen i go to the screenshots folder there are empty pics they have no kb in value they are o kb is it just that my computer isnt reading the bmp picture format:confused:

EDIT--

ahhhhhhhhhhh:eek: this emu doesnt play kingdom hearts chain of memories one of my favs on gba

o well this is still a great emu cant tell you enough keep up the good work zx-81:D

Cooe14
June 26th, 2006, 04:41
wow!!!:eek:

btw can anyone tell me how to take screen shots thru the emu cause everytime i do i plug my psp into the computer and wen i go to the screenshots folder there are empty pics they have no kb in value they are o kb is it just that my computer isnt reading the bmp picture format:confused:
I use iRShell to take screenshots.

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 04:43
I use iRShell to take screenshots.

damn i dont have my 1.5 psp to use the ir shell at the moment im stuck with my 2.6 right now

good to know

thanx

jwilds73
June 26th, 2006, 05:18
This is truly great I was wondering when we would hear anything out of the GBA corner again. I can't wait to see this progress.

vettacossx
June 26th, 2006, 05:27
Cant Wait For Final Fantasy Tactics Is Playable Speeds ;)

johnston829x
June 26th, 2006, 05:27
im so glad to hear that someone is finally working on a gba emu...its crazy how iwas just wondering yesterday if anybody was going to do work on a gba emu

BALL_SAC
June 26th, 2006, 05:45
AWESOME.... We should have a great GBA emulator very shortly with a great coder like ZX-81 on the job.

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 05:49
You totally rock dude!!!! I Don't normally leave comments. I've been following the psp scene since kxploit and this homebrew has put the biggest smile on my face:) . Yu Gi Oh is like totally playable!! Sound would be good and also full screen. But i'll be patient, Please take as long as you need to get this running 100%. YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!!
Full screen is all ready part of this emulator

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 05:59
I agree mi ds lite was used for two games witch i beat in like 3 days and its an expensive paper wait. and the emulation in the ds is like non existing .:eek:

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 06:00
ZX-81 great job your the man end knowing the way you code i just cant wait for your next release.

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 06:04
ZX-81 great job your the man end knowing the way you code i just cant wait for your next release.

yea thats why im so exited cause i know the way zx-81 codes iv been following his work for a while now and zx-81 always gives 100%in all his work and he works on his project until perfection is acheived i hope he does the same on this emu

EDIT--

btw acidburn05 you triple posted you could have used the edit function:p

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 06:07
It's good to know that people haven't given up on GBA emulation on PSP yet, the last few people disappeared after releasing a GBA emulator. Hopefully you stick with it and get it up to playable speed someday.

Sumo X
June 26th, 2006, 06:08
I don't think we're going to get the ME sound engine going on this one. He only has a 2.5 PSP, according to his interview on PSPupdates.

I'd assume it would be awfully hard to get the ME engine running properly if he can't test it. Perhaps there's another coder that could work with him in collaboration on the 1.5 version, to use the ME engine.

If zx81 happens to check these boards, my single request (other than to do the best he can) is to have an enlarged view, but keeping the aspect ratio. Right now we have the actual resolution and stretched to fill the entire screen. The resolution isn't good enough for 100% full screen, so I think that would work better.

SchmuckofNI
June 26th, 2006, 06:11
Good this will give me something to do in Alaska this summer.

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 06:14
I don't think we're going to get the ME sound engine going on this one.

we dont need the ME sound engine cause im sure zx-81 can fully optimise the sound speed with out the use of the ME sound engine thats not really a priority for him (i dont think) and since he uses a 2.5 psp i dout he'll be trying to code using the ME sound engine method............i believe that a full speed version of this emu can be achieved and i think zx-81 is the one to do it and il bet it will be at full speed on all fireware

zx-81 is the man:D :cool: ;)

Shadowblind
June 26th, 2006, 06:18
Nobody get their hopes too high yet. All Im hoping is that the GBA emu can play 32mb ROMs like KH-CoM and Zelda Minish cap

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 06:19
I agree mi ds lite was used for two games witch i beat in like 3 days and its an expensive paper wait. and the emulation in the ds is like non existing .:eek:

lol. seems that im not the only one with the DS collecting dust.
and true, about the ds emulator doesnt exist, but it will soon.
im working on it, but the ds came out early that there some ds emu for pc such as DeSmuME can't even play commercial roms or just freezes in 2 seconds.
also, the roms are terribly big memory consumer for the memory stick which pretty much if possible will load forever(way way worse load rom timing than Dealdalus 64 emu) even on the ram will not get it. their around 80MB- 640MB (i already got mario 64 DS to test in the future,the rom size is around 65.90MB)
theres ways to shrink it but like i said.....its too early for a DS emulator on the psp.
i'll wait for the PSX emulator to see how it actually works to give me the idea for my ds project

pkmusicmaker
June 26th, 2006, 06:24
FINALLY. I hope this time it gets finished, thanks a lot for workin on it. I'd love for this to finally get workin.

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 06:29
btw acidburn05 you triple posted you could have used the edit function:p[/QUOTE]

Mi bad not mi intent i realie dont like to do that but i see your nick has a coder tag on it so you understand if i tell you that mi ongoign project with the 360 team im on is taking a toll on me:D

Cooe14
June 26th, 2006, 06:48
Mi bad not mi intent i realie dont like to do that but i see your nick has a coder tag on it so you understand if i tell you that mi ongoign project with the 360 team im on is taking a toll on me:D
Holy crap I did not understand a word of that :confused:. Anyway Zx-81 you are my second favorite coder (PSmonkey is the first), and if there was anyone you I thought would be able to make a great GBA emu it would be you. Keep up the great work :).

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 06:48
btw acidburn05 you triple posted you could have used the edit function:p[/QUOTE Mi bad not mi intent i realie dont like to do that but i see your nick has a coder tag on it so you understand if i tell you that mi ongoign project with the 360 team im on is taking a toll on me:D

LMFAO XD
retard
lol.... next time don't double or triple post cause the staff does not tolerate it and youll get temporarely banned.

Searching4me123
June 26th, 2006, 06:53
Hold On Do My Eyes Decieve Me And Update On A Gba Emu For Psp No Way

John Vattic
June 26th, 2006, 07:05
I enjoy all of zx-81s works.

it lacks zip support however.

But Great release nonetheless!

I'm addicted to zx-81s great user menus!!!!!!

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 07:13
I had try some 32MB rom, it work pretty well

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 07:22
I had try some 32MB rom, it work pretty well

which rom was it:confused: that you tried

Chackan
June 26th, 2006, 07:42
Omg! I've already had given hope for a Gba emulator on the Psp, specially 2.XX psp's! Since im a 2.6 user i am really really happy about this :D

When a full speed version comes out, dang will i be happy lol

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 07:43
which rom was it:confused: that you tried

2in1 Sonic Battle and Sonic Advance Plus

Voltron
June 26th, 2006, 07:47
I don't think we're going to get the ME sound engine going on this one. He only has a 2.5 PSP, according to his interview on PSPupdates.

WHAT?:eek: Is this true ZX-81? You do not have a 1.50 PSP? It is even more impressive that you have coded so much for the PSP using a 2.50 but man, you need a 1.50. Do you need donations? Let us know.

lol. seems that im not the only one with the DS collecting dust.
and true, about the ds emulator doesnt exist, but it will soon.

Secret Formula:

1.) Nintendo DS Lite
2.) M3 PassCard
3.) Mini-SD SuperCard
4.) 2GB Mini-SD Card

Put em together and you have NDS & GBA Emulation Nirvana. However, I would still rather see a GBA EMU on the PSP because like other things, it was previously said to be impossible. Lets help ZX-81 beat the odds and prove them wrong. A playable GBA EMU on the PSP would be a monumental triumph.

Some might want to hang me for saying it, but I would rather have a fully working GBA EMU than a N64 EMU.

samthegreat68
June 26th, 2006, 07:57
So whats the FPS on this bad boy? I cant try it because I have wrestling camp all week and work :(

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 07:59
This month got lot of potential emulator released

N64 (not very playable but very interesting project)
Neogeo Arcade

and now GBA. with speed up..

I am happy I brought my PSP

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 08:01
So whats the FPS on this bad boy? I cant try it because I have wrestling camp all week and work :(

if yo had try both PSPGBA 1.1 (psp298) and GBA for PSP 0.01 (miemt11),
on this version you will notice speed increase by 40-60%.

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 08:03
WHAT?:eek: Is this true ZX-81? You do not have a 1.50 PSP? It is even more impressive that you have coded so much for the PSP using a 2.50 but man, you need a 1.50. Do you need donations? Let us know.

Secret Formula:

1.) Nintendo DS Lite
2.) M3 PassCard
3.) Mini-SD SuperCard
4.) 2GB Mini-SD Card

Put em together and you have NDS & GBA Emulation Nirvana. However, I would still rather see a GBA EMU on the PSP because like other things, it was previously said to be impossible. Lets help ZX-81 beat the odds and prove them wrong. A playable GBA EMU on the PSP would be a monumental triumph.

Some might want to hang me for saying it, but I would rather have a fully working GBA EMU than a N64 EMU.

yeah, cause theres recent game titles on the gba that are available to download aand i want to play pukimon, lol.

mr_nick666
June 26th, 2006, 09:41
ZX-81 you are (its official) the
EMULATOR GOD! :D
I cant wait to see how this progresses! ;)

b8a
June 26th, 2006, 10:08
Just chipping in my thanks and praise for taking on this project (!_!) You provide so much to this scene, it's simply incredible. Taking this on is going way above and beyond.

Thank you.

zx-81
June 26th, 2006, 10:08
@Voltron: Yes, i develop on 2.5FW lol

@Nick666: Thanks my friend :)

@All: Thanks for all your kind words, i will do my best on this emu, but i can't promise full speed ;) ...

As we say in french "A l'impossible nul n'est tenu" ;) ..

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 10:20
A smooth gameplay with sound (plus 2 frame skip) will do, not need full speed/.

Voltron
June 26th, 2006, 10:35
@Voltron: Yes, i develop on 2.5FW lol

Again, I am left in awe of you and your contributions to all of us PSP homebrew junkies.

But really, would a 1.50 PSP be helpful for you in terms of advancing this and other EMU's that you work on? Let me know and I'm sure we could coordinate a "1.50 PSP for ZX-81 fund"

I'm no coder so I don't know what I'm talking about but maybe with a 1.50 PSP and borrowing some of the techniques that the TYL team used for Snes9xTYL 0.4.2. ME, this could help advance the EMU???

zx-81
June 26th, 2006, 10:39
@Voltron: i needn't money (only if you want to offer me a drink lol). I develop on 2.5FW because i want to be sure my emulator ports will work on all FW ... ;)

XioN980
June 26th, 2006, 10:43
You have no idea how good it is to know perople are still working on this, i seriously cant believe i was thinking it was forgotten.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Backtash
June 26th, 2006, 10:44
Does this work on fw 2.71 ??

Voltron
June 26th, 2006, 10:46
@zx-81: I totally respect that. You help make homebrew and emulation a reality for all PSP users. I bet I speak for a lot of people when I say you are one of our heroes.

disturbed19
June 26th, 2006, 11:31
hey zx-81 i have just one question. are u going to have screen smoothing in the next release? bcuz when u have it on full screen it looks all stretched out, like small blocks. i also have just a few more questions.

1.how long do u think it will take for this emulator to have good sound with decent speed?

2.how long r u planning on working on this emulator for?

3.are u currently working on any othere projects besides this one?

these are just a few questions i, and probably others would like to know :) so if you can answer them it would be greatly appreciated. :)

nexus68
June 26th, 2006, 12:08
Hi Hi zx-81, A French guy, hero of American and English people. Very amusing. :D
Du tres bon boulot comme toujours, mais à quand l'Amiga :p

Lodis
June 26th, 2006, 12:16

I have a DS Lite and it isn't collecting dust at all. I enjoy playing Advance Wars Dual Strike, Ultimate Spiderman, Mario Partners in Time and I also use it to play a couple of the great GBA games like Fire Emblem, Zelda and Advance Wars. I love it along side my Psp, great for trips too!!

I am still really excited about this GBA emulator though, more so due to the really good reputation Zx has. If it was some unknown dev who just announced this GBA I wouldn't have even batted an eye lid since I have seen so many GBA emulators started and just dropped.

There must be something very difficult about programming a GBA emulator on the Psp aside from the well known difficulties in general. At first glance, one would think it easier to program a GBA emulator as opposed to N64 but I guess it comes down to how simular the architecture of the platform you are emulating are. At this stage I think we all need to be realistic. I have already seen alot of comments in different threads saying ''the GBA emulator will be full speed in no time''

Now as much as I would love this feat to occur, I doubt it will happen anytime soon but I hope I am proved wrong. Keep up the good work Zx, I really look forward to whenever your next release is since this will give some idea of how much you think you can optimise and improve.

.:PSP1.0:.
June 26th, 2006, 12:26
Truely amazing! :) Thank you ZX-81 for all your hard work and dedication.. I see this new gba emulator as a huge step forward in terms of speed.. Keep up the good work ZX-81! It is muchly appreciated by all of us here! :)

zx-81
June 26th, 2006, 12:35
Hi Hi zx-81, A French guy, hero of American and English people. Very amusing. :D
Du tres bon boulot comme toujours, mais à quand l'Amiga :p

LOL :D :D :D

zx-81
June 26th, 2006, 12:42
hey zx-81 i have just one question. are u going to have screen smoothing in the next release?

This is a first beta, and i focus only on CPU speed. Screen smoothing etc .. are CPU consuming, but i will add more render options (in particular, one mode where the screen ratio is preserved).

bcuz when u have it on full screen it looks all stretched out, like small blocks. i also have just a few more questions.

1.how long do u think it will take for this emulator to have good sound with decent speed?

The time needed lol ....

2.how long r u planning on working on this emulator for?

The time required.

3.are u currently working on any othere projects besides this one?

Only minor updates to other emulators i've already ported ... i will may be release a new version for each of them, with bug fix and minor features ... But i'm working now 90% of my spare time on PSPVBA.

Hungry Horace
June 26th, 2006, 12:54
zx-81 continues an excellent run of emualtor releases.... just a shame this one happens to be for the most conole-fan-boy-wankish system there is.... (not offence GBA owners :P )

there are other systems i'd rather see zx-81 work on, which wouldnt bring about such grovelling and attract a billion posters so quickly.

i suppose my main beef with the GBA emulator is just how many people have "demanded" it from coders - rather than just wait for someone with the talents (such as zx has) to decide to work on one.

doenst stop it being good work, it wasjust cooler when zx was working on 8-bit systems.... hehe. (ok - i'd take 16 bt if it were a decent amiga emu'!)

qaopjlll
June 26th, 2006, 13:12
@Voltron: i needn't money (only if you want to offer me a drink lol). I develop on 2.5FW because i want to be sure my emulator ports will work on all FW ... ;)

Does the GTA exploit work using DevHook 0.41? If it does, then you should "upgrade" to a 1.50 PSP.

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 14:00
some screenshot

amadeus
June 26th, 2006, 14:12
Nobody get their hopes too high yet. All Im hoping is that the GBA emu can play 32mb ROMs like KH-CoM and Zelda Minish cap

Minish cap is playable. And at a pretty good speed as well:)

Mew
June 26th, 2006, 14:14
OMFG ZX... FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!
I'm playing Wario Ware :D

mameuser
June 26th, 2006, 14:33
some more screenshot

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Able to load but unable to run.

amadeus
June 26th, 2006, 14:35
This is a first beta, and i focus only on CPU speed. Screen smoothing etc .. are CPU consuming, but i will add more render options (in particular, one mode where the screen ratio is preserved).

Dont want to hassle because any mention of GBA emulation gets everyone comming out of the woodwork...

But would a scanline mode be less CPU intensive than screen smoothing? Scanlines do the job of smoothing out the blocks whilst reducing the amount of drawing on the screen...

Again, nice release!

Shadowblind
June 26th, 2006, 14:51
Minish cap is playable. And at a pretty good speed as well:)

REALLY???????
Awesome, its just for some reason I cant stand a game without music. Is there music on it? sorry cant check dont have my PSP.:(

infernomax
June 26th, 2006, 15:26
Good to see someone is taking on this project

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 15:34
if yo had try both PSPGBA 1.1 (psp298) and GBA for PSP 0.01 (miemt11),
on this version you will notice speed increase by 40-60%.
I agree the fps i cant tell exactly from this beta but it is way faster then any port ever released for the psp.:D

Cloud_35
June 26th, 2006, 15:37
Great emulator!!! I've been waiting for this one since a long ago.

Great that now Zelda:the minish cap runs :P.

By the way, has anyone tried Final Fantasy IV or Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission???

madd
June 26th, 2006, 15:45
hi
what about a Compatibility List, wheres written if a game runs, and with which fps?

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 15:46
well i tried metroid fusion and it runs fairly good(just the intro is long as hell)but besides that its alright............wondering if a gba emu was built from the ground up then it would be more likely that a full speed gba emu can be achieved but then again this will take a large amount of time and just porting should be good enough but then again with ports of emu's of this magnitude maybe full speed cant be achieved................but seriously if we hope to get n64 working at full speed we have to get this out the way its a must quite frankly im in disbelif that the coders that were working on this emu just all of a sudden gave up.............given zx-81 backround as a coder he always gives 100%percent and if he doenst get this emu to full speed id bet he get really close to it

crowba
June 26th, 2006, 15:57
There is a Video available that shows mario on PSPVBA 1.01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPC4rSE6EK0&eurl=

and congrats for this emu, i hope you have the knowlege to speedimprove the shit out of the source :)

LeperMessiah
June 26th, 2006, 16:01
Ok looks like I'm the only one having a problem.
When I load PSPVBA it says "Please Wait loading sound" and just hangs there it never goes any further.

I am using 2.6 w/gta exploit any suggestions?

troom
June 26th, 2006, 16:35
how much faster is this than the other gba emu just got home in saw this and was like holy $h!t great job i love gba i was hopeing someone that new what they wher doing was going to pick up this project you f rock:D

zx-81
June 26th, 2006, 16:50
@amadeus: easy to do ... i didn't spend time on this for the first beta release, but i will do it don't worry ;).

D0N
June 26th, 2006, 18:57
Nice work zx-81! Hope to see it run full speed some time! :D Anyway thanks for your work and goodbye!

Voltron
June 26th, 2006, 19:17
zx-81 has obviously spent some time on this. He knows best. I don't need 100% full speed and don't want to put any "demands" on him. It would be the most impressive EMU running at even at 80-90% if sound was working. And maybe frameskip might help a little. Some games must be extremely playable now like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, etc. Slow-paced turn-based games probably work great.

uhoh_hotdogs
June 26th, 2006, 19:46
Well I'm glad that someone is finally picking up on the old GBA emulator. Best of luck.

cal360
June 26th, 2006, 19:57
looking forward to future releases keep it up zx and don't give in

ovrlord
June 26th, 2006, 20:11
well firstly i must say most awesome

also ive tried a few games and this is how they went.

megaman zero: playable but still a bit choppy

pokemon ruby :again playable but slow

monster rancher advance: not bad but not very good probs playable if your patient

Harvest moon: runs at pretty much full speed!!
or at least very close, very playable

these are just what ive tried so far only had the emu for bout an hour.
hope this is even a little helpfull

p.s exelent work on the emulator an inspiration to us all i think gratz:D

cal360
June 26th, 2006, 20:47
zx just wondering how are you going to boost the speed?

Mr. Shizzy
June 26th, 2006, 20:52
OMFG!!!! This is sweet! Keep up the great work man. Everybodys behind you!!! Thank you GOD. And thank you ZX-81!!!

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 20:55
[QUOTE=ovrlord]well firstly i must say most awesome

also ive tried a few games and this is how they went.

megaman zero: playable but still a bit choppy

pokemon ruby :again playable but slow

monster rancher advance: not bad but not very good probs playable if your patient

Harvest moon: runs at pretty much full speed!!
or at least very close, very playable

This is his first release its a beta so can expect the games to work full speed. But knowing ZX it will happen. Great job ZX-81

amadeus
June 26th, 2006, 21:36
@amadeus: easy to do ... i didn't spend time on this for the first beta release, but i will do it don't worry ;).

Merci!
:)

Rekka1210
June 26th, 2006, 21:44

I second that! I loved my GBA when i still had it, and i lost all my games somewhere. I actually traded my GBA in for a PSP (among other things), i regretted it, but now that someone is working on a GBA emulator i feel better.

Hopefully one day i'll be able to play all the Castlevania's and Megaman Battle Network's on my PSP.

Keep up the good work! I support this all the way :D

Voltron
June 26th, 2006, 22:45
I second that! I loved my GBA when i still had it, and i lost all my games somewhere. I actually traded my GBA in for a PSP (among other things), i regretted it, but now that someone is working on a GBA emulator i feel better.

Yes, there are thousands of games for the GBA and a LOT of really great ones. I especially like the remakes and "upgrades" of original classics like Final Fantasy IV, Tales of Phantasia, Metroid, etc. etc.

The GBA is amazing - zx-81 is amazing - The PSP is amazing -

dublas1980
June 27th, 2006, 01:18
nice one men keep the good work:D

dublas1980
June 27th, 2006, 01:23
nice one men keep the good work:D :eek:

And it work great thanks men for this nice emulator. :D

DrSarcasmo
June 27th, 2006, 02:22
For some reason, I can't get this working using Eboot .097 and the Tiff exploit. I'm running 2.0 firmware.

When I try it it gets to the loading sounds, please wait page and then reboots the PSP...

Anyone have any ideas?

DrSarcasmo

aaroncort
June 27th, 2006, 02:55
I can't wait till this things runs at full speed! Mother 3 is slowly being translated into english by a group of fans and I hope, hope, hope this will be running smoothly when they're done!!!!!!!! Thanks for all of your hard work!

LeperMessiah
June 27th, 2006, 03:54
For some reason, I can't get this working using Eboot .097 and the Tiff exploit. I'm running 2.0 firmware.

When I try it it gets to the loading sounds, please wait page and then reboots the PSP...

Anyone have any ideas?

DrSarcasmo

I have the same problem on 2.6 except it doesn't reboot.

Anyone have any suggestions???
please!!

DrSarcasmo
June 27th, 2006, 05:00
We'll probably just have to hope it gets implemented in the next release, LeperMessiah. I had trouble with V .2 of ZX81's Colocovision emulator. Sure enough the next one worked a treat...

I'll just put this one on my wife's 1.50 PSP for now...

Either way, thanks for all the hard work on ALL your emus, ZX81...:) You be da man's man, my brother...:D

DrSarcasmo

pspfan
June 27th, 2006, 05:02
Why not downgrade and use DevHook if you're on 2.0?

DrSarcasmo
June 27th, 2006, 05:20
Mostly so I can use the Webbrowser and play GTA...

DrSarcasmo

acn010
June 27th, 2006, 05:29
most games goes pretty fast, i wanted to play PUKIMUN gween wersion but its slow.
and that makes me feel so down down

zx-81
June 27th, 2006, 17:22
A new release is coming soon, with speed enhancement :).

cal360
June 27th, 2006, 18:15
how has the speed been improved?

Gizmo356
June 27th, 2006, 18:45
omg i cant wait for the speed up

/(o )( o)\

alleyal202
June 27th, 2006, 19:14
ZX u are a EMULATION GOD!!! best gba emulator.keep up the good work.next emulator i hope u would work on a sega CD!!if it could be done!!

gunntims0103
June 27th, 2006, 19:16
i look forward to the speed increase dont wher your self out take your time i look forward to your release

LeperMessiah
June 27th, 2006, 19:26

YAY!

Will this be 2.6 compatible?:rolleyes:

gunntims0103
June 27th, 2006, 19:30
YAY!

Will this be 2.6 compatible?:rolleyes:

of course it will work on 2.6 he codes and test his emu's on 2.5 using e-loader so its gonna be for higher firewares as well

ACID
June 27th, 2006, 20:01
Zx you rule keep up the good work games in this version are very playable for a first release

BobMonkey
June 27th, 2006, 20:03
For some reason it is not working on my v2.0 psp, when I select it form the eboot screen it says Please wait now loading and then it crashes can neone help please.

SweetFA
June 27th, 2006, 20:04
Mostly so I can use the Webbrowser and play GTA...

DrSarcasmo
You can run the FW2.5 firmware properly under FW1.5 via Devhook.

Alternatively there's the FW1.5 browser Links2

ACID
June 27th, 2006, 20:06
For some reason it is not working on my v2.0 psp, when I select it form the eboot screen it says Please wait now loading and then it crashes can neone help please.

Dude downgrade to version 1.50 you can still do everything you do with 2.xx psp using the DEVHOOK 0.41b you wont regret it.:cool:

acn010
June 27th, 2006, 20:15

omg, yes please.
but whats the percentage boost for the new one compared to the current one?

zx-81
June 27th, 2006, 20:20

Yes, it should be due to the sound stuff i've taken from psp298. I'm not using this anymore, i'm using now a patched version of the original SDL sound source code, and it should then fix this issue.

djamm
June 27th, 2006, 21:30
Well, I know it isn't my favorite genre....RETRO....but none the less a very cool project zx-81 -=wicked grin=-

I followed the Game Boy Advance homebrew scene for some time...

I am looking forward to futher releases...Need4Speed :D

Cheers

-=djamm=-

Shadowblind
June 27th, 2006, 21:47
I can just imagine: GBA: Kingdom hearts chain of memories at Nesterj speed....

Im using that as an example because
1) KH-CoM is one of the largest GBA games at 32mb
2)Nesterj has incredible speed

that may just be a dream though...

mavsman4457
June 27th, 2006, 22:00
can devhook run 2.71 firmware?

nyrtrublue
June 27th, 2006, 22:27
this is insane and now we have dueling gba emus there is another one over at psphacker.com

djamm
June 27th, 2006, 22:44
this is insane...

hardly

we have dueling gba emus
i read the thread you mentioned and it doesn't seem like Slasher is "dueling" nor ZX...

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the other emulator..

Cheers,

-=djamm=-

publicprivates
June 27th, 2006, 22:50
its good that theres another project though because that would fuel the coders up into a sort of competiton like with the 2 n64 projects.

ACID
June 27th, 2006, 23:02

Only 2.70 and lower but there working on it they have gotten three releases in the last month alone try this version is the 2.70
DEVHOOK 0.41d:D

pspfan
June 27th, 2006, 23:03
What are you talking about, 2.7 doesn't work on DevHook. 2.6 doesn't even work on DevHook. Only 2.5 and below.

zx-81
June 27th, 2006, 23:03
In fact, PSPGBA doesn't work on 2.5 or 2.6FW but it works on other FW, and mine doesn't work on 2.0 but works on all others ...

So yes, it's good to have two different versions :).

pspfan
June 27th, 2006, 23:09
zx-81, on the speed increase you mentioned, do you have an estimate on the FPS difference? Just curious. Any improvement is good even if it's small.

amadeus
June 27th, 2006, 23:38
"Dude" I think you should get your stories straight mate...

PSP GBA v1.2 is a different emu to the one being discussed here.

This thread is about PSPVBA
And the guy you accussed of making "dumb statements" is not only the coder behind it he is one of the most respected coders of emus in the scene.

tophead420
June 27th, 2006, 23:54
well your right [ i thought this emu waz the same 1 just an update my mistake] [oooooo pspgba doesnt work this emu is pspvba:p ]but ill appolgize to him so i dont get another warning lol and neway i respect zx-81 for his work on this emu bc he picked up the project to hopfully finish it and btw never call me mate LMAO sorry ab my rudeness zx-81 and hopflly your future releases will work on 2.00 and above bc iv been waiting for a gba emu that runs a lil faster and my mistake zx-81 i see wut your sayn now pspgba yours is vba god i need to get my story str8 and again sorry for the h8ing on you dude lol and keep up the good work:D

btw ill delete the retarded posts i left:p

Voltron
June 28th, 2006, 00:24

I'm speechless. Truly speechless. I'm running out of different ways to praise you zx-81, so a simple thanks goes out to you once again.

NO, currently just 2.50 and below. But it runs 2.50 perfect. Its amazing. It is exactly like I had a 2.50 PSP only my PSP is 1.50. An amazing achievment. However, the new MOD CHIP may allow us to obtain a dump of firmware 2.71 and although firmware is flashed to the PSP encrypted, if the decrypted IPL could be read from the chip, DevHook could load 2.71 and higher firmwares.:D - The future holds good things.

how has the speed been improved?

Even if speed was improved by just 1fps, I'd be happy. The quest for GBA Emulation continues on 1fps at a time, lol

Dude, you REALLY need to downgrade to 1.50 firmware. Right now you have a 2.00 psp. If you downgrade to 1.50, your PSP could be firmwares 1.50 & 2.50 at the same time with DevHook 0.41d. Don't be intimidated. Its really simple to downgrade and install/run DevHook. Also, you could use the ME version of Snes9xTYL. That alone should be reason enough to downgrade.

Dude downgrade to version 1.50 you can still do everything you do with 2.xx psp using the DEVHOOK 0.41b you wont regret it.:cool:

I agree. 0.41d is the newest and best release though. I am still in shock over what DevHook can do.

@ zx-81: dude get your story straight befor u blurt out a dumb statment like pspgba dont work on 2.5 or 2.6:rolleyes: bc in fact the 1.0.1 release works on 2.6 and you may ask how do you know well im on 2.6 :D and it works fine other then it sayn wrote battery n bottom left of screen god i love proving people wrong:cool:

You can't do that. Dude, you can't talk to zx-81 that way. Is this guy for real? Did I read this right?

tophead420
June 28th, 2006, 00:51
yea you read it right i kinda got a lil mixed up with wut i was talkn ab but as you can see i appolized to zx-81 and once agn sorry zx-81 for my dumba** remark and like i said a few dayz ago when it was released U PWN lol

mavsman4457
June 28th, 2006, 05:10
Great news. This GBA emu will have a great speed increase with the use of kernel mode. Yes by now you have probably already read about it but kernel mode is now accessible through a newly found exploit. zx-81 what plans do you have for the use of this exploit?

shinysuitman
June 28th, 2006, 05:19
With the new found exploit, things could really be heated up as far as getting full processing power out of the psp for GBA purposes, but from what ive been reading so far, it seems that ZX-81 wouldnt even really need that if the circumstances were otherwise. Either way, ZX, thank you very much for coding the GBA (or recoding, im not very "coding" savy) and we all look forward to seeing more and more additions to the product.

P.S. i liked how you positioned the start and select buttons on the square and triangle. confused me at first but now it seems very intuitive.

ACID
June 28th, 2006, 05:35
What are you talking about, 2.7 doesn't work on DevHook. 2.6 doesn't even work on DevHook. Only 2.5 and below.

Do you even know what devhook does do you see the letter at the end this is there 5th release if you didn't notice or are up to date and a new one is already out then again if you new Spanish you'd understand what they are doing:eek:

Lets see i have newgames like capcom classic and it works wow version 2.70 its amazing

pspfan
June 28th, 2006, 05:39
You can't emulate 2.7 with version v0.41d! 2.6+ have a different encryption and it hasn't been cracked so those firmwares can't be dumped (and therefore can't be emulated). I'm almost positive that Capcom Classic doesn't need firmware 2.6 or above. Try playing Loco Roco. That game needs 2.7. It won't work. You are out of your mind or you know something that hasn't been released to most of the PSP scene (which I doubt). Also, can you view flash in your browser? I don't think so. 2.7 allows for that so unless you can you DON'T HAVE 2.7 on DevHook. Maybe you actually updated. That's the only way you can have 2.7 right now.

ACID
June 28th, 2006, 05:52
You can't emulate 2.7 with version v0.41d! 2.6+ have a different encryption and it hasn't been cracked so those firmwares can't be dumped (and therefore can't be emulated). I'm almost positive that Capcom Classic doesn't need firmware 2.6 or above. Try playing Loco Roco. That game needs 2.7. It won't work. You are out of your mind or you know something that hasn't been released to most of the PSP scene (which I doubt). Also, can you view flash in your browser? I don't think so. 2.7 allows for that so unless you can you DON'T HAVE 2.7 on DevHook. Maybe you actually updated. That's the only way you can have 2.7 right now.

Im not goign to sit here and argue with you im not saing you have all 2.70 capabilities yet i sayd soon but you can still play the games.
I have loco roco and i have a 1.50 and 1.0 psp and it works on bought of them. Theres a lot of people in this psp comunitie involve in a lot of projects how do you fare saing some one is liyng when you havent tryed it your self and no i didnt rip the iso of the game is the actual umd go to there web and do some reserch first have a good night im done :mad:

pspfan
June 28th, 2006, 05:55
Can you show me their website? I'm interested in this. I don't think people are lying, I'm saying this hasn't been exposed to the PSP scene. How can you use the Loco Roco UMD with DevHook? Please just show me their website where you say all of this is from.

gunntims0103
June 28th, 2006, 06:00
hey guys sorry to spoil your conversation but you guys posts are totally off topic sorry but this thread is not about dev hook its about gba emu made by zx-81 allow me to redirect your future post

back on topic--

ACID
June 28th, 2006, 06:04
Iknow and its the reason im exited latelie Zx-81 Rulessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Great emu great job tryid a lot of games and they work great

pspfan
June 28th, 2006, 06:24
I know we got off topic, but can you give me your AIM or something (via PM if you don't want to post it here), I'm really interested in what you're saying. If you don't want to give me your AIM, can you give me the website that you said was talking about these new 2.7 games and DevHook?

And yes this emulator is great and will get better with the optimizations he has already made, and with the optimizations that Slasher made that he will also make.

acn010
June 28th, 2006, 06:43
please stop after my my post
now, a new release is coming out. i cant wait for it

publicprivates
June 28th, 2006, 06:47
i cant wait till sound gets good. I really like the techno sounds and boops in ZOE the fist of MARS! Again, great worj zx-81!

mameuser
June 28th, 2006, 08:17
anyone still remember this .

First GBA for PSP
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/vbapsp.shtml

Second GBA for PSP
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspgba.shtml

Third
http://miemt.dcemu.co.uk/gbaemulatorforpsp.shtml

Now the Four from zx81

GBA for PSP has come from a loong way..

zx-81
June 28th, 2006, 09:11
@mameuser: thanks for the history :), it's clear now, even for me lol.

FarSight
June 28th, 2006, 10:27
Will you be taking advantage of the new exploit that gives access to the kernel and possibly be implementing a “me” version of PSPVBA?
May be what we need to give very playable gba emu. Exciting stuff?

zx-81
June 28th, 2006, 11:02
Will you be taking advantage of the new exploit that gives access to the kernel and possibly be implementing a “me” version of PSPVBA?
May be what we need to give very playable gba emu. Exciting stuff?

Yes, when we will have a new eloader using this exploit :).

tsurumaru
June 28th, 2006, 12:50
Yes, when we will have a new eloader using this exploit :).

Hi Zx-81, if you can shift sound emulation over to the ME :) how much do you think performance would increase by, ie what sort of resources is this currently taking up on the current build?

Its great that it looks like devs will finally be able to utilise the ME on 2.00+ Firmware PSPs! :)

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

ACID
June 28th, 2006, 14:57
Mameuser like the history. Now theres only one gorth having and the winner is ZX-81 thats the best one out there so no need to mention the others