PDA

View Full Version : N-Gage QD

wraggster
April 15th, 2004, 02:26
More News about the N-Gage QD

You've probably read in various magazines that Nokias N-Gage hardly set the gaming world alight which was clearly recognised by the company themselves as they've decided to relaunch it with some minor adjustments. Here's the full press release...

Nokia today announced the N-Gage QD mobile game deck, the latest addition to the N-Gage platform. The N-Gage QD is a compact device with a hot-swappable multimedia (MMC) slot for instant gaming, longer battery life, improved gaming controls, brighter screen, powerful smartphone features and the new N-Gage Arena launcher application. Gamers will be able to play all of their favorite N-Gage titles, connect to the worldwide mobile gaming community over mobile networks via the N-Gage Arena as well as take part in close-range mobile multiplayer gaming via Bluetooth wireless technology.

The planned range of prices is expected to be from USD$99 with a contract to USD$199 as an unsubsidized, untaxed retail price. The N-Gage QD game deck is expected to be available in May 2004 for Europe, Africa and Asia Pacific and in June 2004 for the Americas. The N-Gage QD will be available in two versions: a GSM 900/1800 variant (Europe, Africa and Asia Pacific) and a GSM 850/1900 variant (Americas).

"After six months on the market with the N-Gage platform, we wanted to expand our device portfolio based on the feedback we've received," said Nokia's Senior Vice President of Games, Ilkka Raiskinen. "With improved gaming ergonomics, gamers can now start to play games at the push of a button and enjoy the increased responsiveness of the game keys. We also added support for hot-swap MMC and extended the battery life. For phone calls, we reoriented the speaker and microphone to support 'classic talking'."

The N-Gage QD game deck supports existing N-Gage game titles as well forthcoming N-Gage exclusive titles like Ashen, Pathway to Glory and Pocket Kingdom: Own The World, and blockbuster hits like The Sims: Bustin' Out, Crash Nitro Kart and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004.

The new N-Gage Arena launcher makes accessing the N-Gage Arena even easier than before. The launcher is a software application preinstalled on the N-Gage QD device that allows gamers full access to the N-Gage Arena community directly from their game deck. Once installed, the launcher is accessed from an icon in the game deck's main applications menu, similar to other N-Gage software.

Using the launcher via a GPRS connection, N-Gage Arena members can communicate with one another, download exclusive content, access rankings statistics, participate in events and activities, and more. Existing N-Gage users will be able download the N-Gage Arena launcher from www.n-gage.com in May 2004.

The N-Gage QD game deck also supports advanced smartphone features such as personal information management, XHTML browser, email and the possibility to download and install additional Series 60 applications.

The N-Gage QD game deck will be showcased at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, California from May 12 to 14, 2004. The N-Gage booth (South Hall, 1524) will also have the latest in high-profile exclusive N-Gage titles and blockbuster hits. For more information on the N-Gage QD game deck, log on to www.n-gage.com/qd.

Clessy
April 15th, 2004, 02:39
I'm actually going to buy one of these.

krowstrife
April 15th, 2004, 06:36
I'm actually going to buy one of these.

if you don't have the original I think the qd thing's cool, but I love my mp3,radio,phone taco thing as in the original Ngage

if they have a trade in program like some retailers did with th gba and gba sp
I may take advantange of that but I like mp3 player,if the functions can be added or installed like nokia says I may hop on it but till then..........

Long live taco phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * ;D

barn
April 15th, 2004, 11:43
After playing with one last night, I'm going to swap. As for the MP3 issuse you can play them but it will be mono.

Clessy
April 23rd, 2004, 02:03
Are they out in the USA yet? Would it be worth it to import a Euro one? Do USA games work on Euro Systems?

krowstrife
April 23rd, 2004, 23:26
Are they out in the USA yet? Would it be worth it to import a Euro one? Do USA games work on Euro Systems?

no not in the usa yet
I am not sure about the ngae but most games from europe are encoded in pal
where as us is ntsc
but i don't know about the ngage might be different

Clessy
April 24th, 2004, 07:21
Most portables use 60htz because it wouldnt matter on portable and 60 would look better. Plus none of the portables I know have region lock outs but GG I think.

William
April 26th, 2004, 12:01
QD looks wicked, and you can now pre order them Sim Free for £149.95 from www.allack.co.uk

This price may even include a free game!!!

Looking forward to being able to hot swap and no more side talking ;)

Clessy
April 26th, 2004, 12:42
Thats an outragously high price seeing as how they're only supposed to cost $100.

barn
April 29th, 2004, 23:28
$100 is if you sign up to a month contract, not a sim free price.

As for the games they are not incoded in PAL and NTSC, they are like the Gameboy AKA work in all countries.

Clessy
May 2nd, 2004, 07:17
Might snag me one next pay check then.