PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: 2.60 Firmware Exploit Found - Kernel Access!

kyle2194
June 27th, 2006, 23:54
Via PSPUpdates (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Breaking-News-2-60-Firmware-Exploit-Found-Kernel-Access-/pg/49/aid/57216)

"Break out your calendars folks, because this may be a day that you want to mark as a pivotal day in the history of PSP homebrew. A developer known as hitchhikr of "hitchhikr SoftWorks" has come out with a Proof of Concept of a 2.50/2.60 Firmware Exploit! Once implemented and fine tuned for "normal user" use, this will bring 2.50 and 2.60 Firmware up to the same homebrew capability that 1.50 PSP owners enjoy with FULL kernel mode access - although Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories will still be required, just like with eLoader.

Speaking of eLoader, Fanjita is already working with hitchhikr on incorporating this new exploit into an easily executable means via eLoader. After a brief chat with Fanjita, he's told us that you can expect some generic application for developers to hopefully be released in the next 24 hours. It will take a bit longer before something useable for non-devs will be released.

The exploit takes advantage of an added security check in 2.50/2.60 Firmware for sceKernelLoadExec, which is responsible for loading EBOOTs, but also accidentally added an overflow bug, which means this exploit will not work with 2.0 and 2.01 Firmware.

Below you will find a download of hitchhikr's Proof of Concept - this is not intended for the casual user. It created dump files containing kernel memory dumps in the root of the memstick (boot.bin, kmem.bin, klib.bin). It also creates writeaccess.bin which contains just the hex (12 34 56 78) to prove that kmem CAN be written to.

But don't start upgrading those PSP's yet until a viable means of implementation is released! Also, this breakthrough is not on a path to a downgrader, at least that does not seem like an option at this moment. Although speculation has already begun that this will open the door to the decrypting of 2.70+ Firmware, allowing it to be emulated a la Devhook.

We will stay on top of this breaking news all day long and be constantly updating this news post with information as soon as we get it! Stay with QJ.NET and PSPUpdates for all the latest!"

FullGore
June 28th, 2006, 00:06
Wow, this is great news!
I sure hope its true, I miss having more than enough homebrew on my psp. I hope everything goes out perfectly.

Gizmo356
June 28th, 2006, 00:15
omf god i am so exited full speed n64 here we come yes boobielicious im so sooped its not funny my heart just stoped and i grew boobies holly muthafooking scat yeah man please work hahahahahaha i pissed my self its more xciting than boobies ok its not

SnoopKatt
June 28th, 2006, 01:04
Yes, I've been waiting for something like this :)

Kaiser
June 28th, 2006, 01:39
Discuss this here

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27601