PDA

View Full Version : One Day Later - 2.5/2.6 Kernel Exploit - The Real, Full Story - A MUST READ!

Terdinglagev2
June 30th, 2006, 08:25
UPDATE: Birdman has mentioned that for an uknown reason the Beta's release may be getting postponed. I would be able to tell you more, but for some reason the DALnet server isnt working for my miRC.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/Terdinglage/PSPBrew/OneDayLater.jpg

Welcome everyone to "One Day Later" an article chronicling the events that rocked the PSP Scene from 06/28/06 to 06/29/06. In this article I will review all the ins and outs of the new exploit, the truth behind DarK_AleX's Downdater, the real culprit behind epidemic of bricked PSPs, and of course the most important part of all - The information you will learn tomorrow... TODAY!

What We Know
Well, it has been an eventful 24 hours here on the PSP Scene, with some developments that can be considered nothing less than extraordinary. We started yesterday on Wednesday June 28th, 2006 with hitchhikr releasing his proof-of-concept of kernel memory access on a 2.5 or 2.6 PSP. Without a doubt the biggest exploit since the GTA eLoader, immediately upon its release several devs took to work. Some of the biggest names in PSP Homebrew took their crack at making a practical application of the brand new exploit, including DarK_AleX, Fanjita, Yoshi, Mathieulh, and 0okm. The first to note any progress was Fanjita, releasing a very early attempt at using the newfound exploit. Below is the exact quote of the release from PSPUpdates, followed by an exact quote of their "exclusive" email from Fanjita:
__________________________________________________ ______________
Update #1: Fanjita has released the "source" of his work so far today on this newly discovered exploit. If you would like to take a look at it and continue investigating where he left off for today, have a look!
Only for v2.5 / v2.6.

Based on Proof of Concept code by Hitchhikr / Neural.

Function : Attempts to load ms0:/kernel.elf using sceLoadModule/sceStartModule when in kernel mode, after writing a NOP to 0x8801A5B4.

Diags: Writes a log of operations to ms0:/GTALOG.TXT.
If LoadModule fails, writes the error code to ms0:/failload.trc.
If StartModule fails, writes the error code to ms0:/failstart.trc.

Check out the included readme for more info! (Thanks for the tip, gangsta_psp!)

Download: [Fanjita's Exploit Source - Day 1]

Update #2: Fanjita has taken a moment to respond to some of the many questions being asked in our forums regarding the update above and his "source":

Rumour clear-up time : this was posted in the pspdev IRC, so that people who know what they're doing can play with it if they want. I don't mind it being spread around, but if you don't understand how sceKernelLoad* apply security checks, then it's probably not for you.

It's work-in-progress, it's not an eLoader beta, it's just a more convenient way of experimenting with the exploit (maybe), and also an effort to test some in-RAM hacks to remove some security checks.

It doesn't seem to work at the moment, and the main thing that needs to be done is to investigate why - presumably, there's a problem with the format of the ELFs being loaded.

Kernel.elf is just an arbitrary ELF - nothing I've tried so far has worked, feel free to try your own.

The source that's given is just the source of the function that's attempting to do stuff with the exploit - it doesn't show any of the exploit code, and is not a complete app in its own right.

He also went on to say that the main focus right now is to replicate a "nokxploit functionality" making 2.50/2.60 PSP's behave the same way that 1.0 PSP's do in regards to homebrew. He says that a "kernel eLoader" would be possible but more cumbersome than a nokxploit approach.
__________________________________________________ ______________

We will be debunking his statements later on in the article, but for now we will proceed to the next set of releases that came from the exploit, the ones from none other than the man behind the Downdater, DarK_AleX. He started all of us off by releasing the first real progress in the form of his PRXDecryptor TEST for Firmware v2.6 (though it was only partially effective). It was after this release however, that the real fun began. At around 9:30 PM on 06/28/06 DarK_AleX released the first version of his now infamous "Downdater". Before continuing on, I suggest everyone read DarK_AleX's official unmodified post, here.

Without doubt one of the biggest developments that could have possibly came from the new 2.5/2.6 exploit, it was a ray of light for the 2.0+ PSP community. And after a few successful reports early on, the program soon made it to PSPUpdates where it was eagerly accepted (perhaps to eagerly), and the result turned out to be a large number of yep, you guess it, BRICKS. After that things began getting ugly on the PSPUpdates forums, with several angry members blaming their newfound bricks on DarK_AleX and few even taking advantage of the situation. Anyone present on the PSPUpdates forums last night knows what I am talking about. However, later in this post I will reveal the truth behind this frenzy, and clear up who was truely behind the bricking, and who is taking advantage of you.

Regardless of the wonderful flame-job countless users provided for DarK_AleX, he continued his work on the Downdater after teaming up with Yoshi and Mathieulh to releases three subsequent versions of the program, v0.2, v0.3, and v.04. Thanks to Yop2k5 from the PlanetPSP iRC channel's bravery (he tested THREE times until ending up with a brick) we are now even closer to a working version.

And last but not least, we have the unconfirmed downgrader by 0okm, the creator of the Die Hard Firmware v1.0 Downgrader. All there currently is in proof of this is three posts in broken English on the PSPUpdates forums.

sorry
it is unstable
i test 10pcs FW2.60 PSP
8pcs OK
2pcs have error

i can't share it
i don't want to have Dark_AleX's condition :P

yes
i can confirm can use hitchhikr's concept to "downgrader" old ver. hardware PSP with FW2.60 to FW1.00
i was use another method NOT Dark_AleX's Downgrader"

"if "ookm" is "0okm"
i can tell you
i try my way with hitchhikr's Great Work ^o^

i test 10pcs FW2.60 psp
reflash them to FW1.00
8pcs OK
2pcs have error
but never mind
i have multi FW Module ^o^"

And with that, we have reviewed EVERYTHING that has happened in the last day concerning this great new exploit, which leaves the fun stuff. In the following section, I will debunk all of the information above (you people deserve the truth!), and give you a little preview of what's to come.

What You Don't Know
Well, here goes, I'll start by talking about the first thing I discussed in this article, Fanjita's attempts with Kernel memory and the eLoader. I do not intend to demean his work in any way, but there is definitely some things you eLoader hopeful's and downgrader bashers should hear about.

1. The exploit for Kernel access itself is unstable, as noted by one of the developers of the Downdater in the following statements:

* [Mathieulh] because the exploit itself is unstable.
* [Mathieulh] the point is lots of functions **** up for no reason using the exploit
* [Mathieulh] and we don't know why
* [Mathieulh] for instance using printf will freeze the psp in kernal mode
2. The Kernel access exploit doesn't allot very much RAM for use on a 2.6 PSP, once again as noted by a Downdater developer:

* [Mathieulh] we also found out that the ammount of available ram on 2.60 using the kernel exploit is very small

Well, now that that is out there, we can move on to the next issue I promised to address – DarK_AleX's nickname as the "BRICKER". Last night on the PSPUpdates forums was literally a spam fest in which countless updates members called out DarK_AleX and blamed their bricks on him. This really disappointed me, as I am personally seeing residual effects of this portrayal on my own site, www.pspbrew.com. DarK_AleX is an amazing asset to the PSP Community, and it truly saddens me that some sceners would damage his reputation so severely. Thus, it makes me proud to bring you the TRUTH about the real culprit behind the bricks that resulted from Downdater v0.1! As it turns out, the true culprit behind the devastation was none other than the very first person to try the Downdater, PSPXnax. To lend validity to my case, I interviewed an eyewitness who watched the first KNOWN downgrade play out, and also an exact quote of PSPXnax's live confession on ProjectPSP's iRC Chat, here it is:

Birdman's Eyewitness Account: "we were all excited when the downgrader came out, even us with 1.5's were glad to finally be able to accept more members into our family, but of course dark_alex didnt test it so we eventually found someone who was willing and able to test it, PSPXnax. We explained how to set it up and all, and he ran it on his first psp and told us that it ran compleatly fine and the downgrader was a complete success. Well of course when we heard this we were overjoyed but at the same time we were a bit sceptical, but he continued to insure us it worked. he seemed like a very nice trustworth guy, so after pspxanx confirmed we happily went about telling sites all over the internet that pspxnax had tested it and that he claimed it worked fine. After that everyone who followed this knows the horrific events that happend afterwards, mass brickage, people were so eager to have 1.5 that the heard it had been "confirmed" and imeadiatly rushed to test it. so i mean its really for you to decide. dark alex told everyone straight up that it was untested and unconfirmed, but whos the real culprit? the dev or the devil?"

PSPXnax's Live Confession: [PSPXNAX] ok guys i admit it i am very sorry i did lie .... but u should also thank me for 2 things .... firstly i gave u a all hope second i gave people the courage to try it on their own psp's if i didnt do wt i did we would have never ever have know wheather this downgrader is going to work or not i am very sorry for all those that got their psps bricked but it also did save potentially thouhsands others from getting bricked thank u brave people

As you probably realize, it was not just for so many people to flame DarK_AleX and hurt his reputation. He did not intend to break any PSPs, and ultimately it is not his fault that any were bricked. If you want to blame anyone other than yourself, you now know who to flame, not DarK_AleX, but PSPXnax. This now leads us to the next thing you should be informed of, the people taking advantage of this situation to steal your money. Though there are legit cases out there like Josh's PSP from PSP-Hacks, there are also definitely bad ones out there. I will only use one for this article, and you can use your judgment if your considering donating to any other people left with bricks. The example of the day is none other than TMK or TheMarioKarters from PSPUpdates. The user had allegedly "bricked" his PSP with the downgrader and was asking for donations. The sad part was that even if he had tried the downgrader, he had not read the readme at all, because he apparently had a TA-082 PSP. I just want to get this out in the public, and warn people to not donate to scammers like this. Oh, and I also should throw a few things in for good measure. I congratulate the PSPUpdates admins for making people remove the TMK donation links from their sigs, and also that it seems what goes around as TMK's PayPal account has apparently been hacked and the money removed. Sweeeeeeet Justice! Anyways, now we can move on to the really fun stuff, what you will be seeing today from the Downdater!

Downdater Beta (coming soon): For this I felt it was best if I just copy/pasted the iRC chat about this topic directly, here it is strait from the devs keyboard to your monitor:

[Mathieulh] and finally we will tomorrow have a beta version to test
[Mathieulh] with sceioremove instead of logical format (to check out wether it works or not)
[mrweeeedbirdman> will the beta have any chanse of wroking?
[Mathieulh] if not we will stick to logical format
[Mathieulh] yes it will
[mrweeeedbirdman> cool
[Mathieulh] but it will also have chances of brickinf
[Mathieulh] bricking*
* fettesbumsen acts like he understands.
[Firey21] pl
[Mathieulh] as it's a beta
[Mathieulh] lol
[Firey21] ok
[mrweeeedbirdman> yea i just wondering if its chances are higher than that of .4
[Firey21] beta = 60% sucvess
[mrweeeedbirdman] cool
Firey21] or thats how it should be
[Mathieulh] lol I can't really tell, anything can happen on the psp especially with an unstable exploit such as the one we are using

Well folks, that’s all for now. I hope you enjoyed the show and I hope you enjoy the developments that are sure to be coming in the near future!

Special thanks to Terdinglage and Birdman for their hard work put into this great article. ~ Kaiser

Source: http://www.pspbrew.com

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 08:43
well i hope people aren't gunna atempt the beta without the UP chip, 60% is better than what it was(0%) but its still a little too low in my book

Kaiser
June 30th, 2006, 08:46
Excellent Article. Thanks for allowing us to use it Terdinglage. Moving to news forums.

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 08:51
Excellent Article. Thanks for allowing us to use it Terdinglage. Moving to news forums.
perfectly worded Kaiser...the only thing i didn't know about was the beta version comin out, so thanx for postin this Terdinglagev2 :D

acn010
June 30th, 2006, 08:59
now we need is rich boys testers for this
lmao :D

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 09:03
now we need is rich boys testers for this
lmao :D
well all the rich boy testers probably have the UP chip...i still can't wait to see how this will pan out

tophead420
June 30th, 2006, 09:07
ok im completly confused with this so whats the deal withthis could sumone please sum it up for me in simple terms bc the aricle kinda lost me but il read it again maybe itll make sense this time but idk

EDIT; ok it kinda made a lil more since to me so they are working on a downgrader or sumtin along those lines from the way i take it but i dont know i really am not one to want to try sumtin that will render my psp usless even if it has a 100% success rate becuz tho 100% there is still a chance you cud still mess up, tho if it had a really i mean really F N detailed read me file i might consider it so if a downgrader is released ill wait for people to try it then i just may give it a try but id be happy if they just get kernal mode working on 2.5-.6 fw thats what i want more then a downgrader[ tho it was mentioned to unstable::: but just remember this its still in a very early stage of devlopment what i feel is it just needs to be worked on a lil bit becuz you cant expect perfection from a first or second release and dont say its not possible becuz look sum1 found away to access it so thats gotta count for sumthing] becuz if i wanted a 1.5 psp ill fork over the money for it

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 09:10
ok im completly confused with this so whats the deal withthis could sumone please sum it up for me in simple terms bc the aricle kinda lost me but il read it again maybe itll make sense this time but idk
yeh it is a big article, what part are u havin trouble understandin?

acn010
June 30th, 2006, 09:15
well all the rich boy testers probably have the UP chip...i still can't wait to see how this will pan out
damn rich people....
time for plan B: laboratory rats with there psp's
>> << >>

Cooe14
June 30th, 2006, 09:17
Just as I thought. The expliot is to unstable for normal use (eloader), but i bet this will bring a good downgrader eventually.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 30th, 2006, 09:44
WOW once you wade thru the techno bable the top and bottom of it is there is a chance of a possible downgrader...:)

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 09:49
WOW once you wade thru the techno bable the top and bottom of it is there is a chance of a possible downgrader...:)
we will just have to wait and find out...i've always had faith in a 2.5/2.6 downgrader but we will see

idapimp
June 30th, 2006, 10:04
i definately have faith. i also dont see why people dont seem to want to downgrade to 1.5 and want to stick with 2.6. especially considering the patched devhook that came out today. you can run 2.5 perfectly on the 1.5 and still have full homebrew capabilities without having to have GTA with you all the time, and the beauty of daedalus if it ever moves to kernal mode *drool*

.:PSP1.0:.
June 30th, 2006, 10:05
Wow very good read indeed.. DarK_AleX has actually been one of my fav devs for a little while now and i would never blame him for a bricked PSP only cos like any sort of program that flashes to the PSP's memory there is always a warning attached to it, so you use it at your own risk plus it was unconfirmed by him to be working and untested..
But all i can really say is that there are some really bad people out there :( .. Don't wanna mention any names *coughs* PSPXnax *coughs*

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 10:06
daedalus in kernel mode, i get a 8=======D just thinkin about it lmao

judas_coach
June 30th, 2006, 10:14
i have access to three PSPs and i aint rich, 1 v2.5 1 v2.71 and 1 1.5. i AM going to try this downdater on my 1.5 which will be updated to 2.6. my 2.5 is getting the UP chip soon. will post results tommorow.

DJDunk
June 30th, 2006, 10:26
Great article, respect due :)

SnoopKatt
June 30th, 2006, 10:46
Good article, but 60% is still very risky. But that sucks that person lied about the downgrader working...

phazi
June 30th, 2006, 11:03
nice work on the article Kaiser every thing got cleard up i dont feel like im in the dark anymore in the behind the scene action thankz

the one and only
June 30th, 2006, 11:14
i dunno wehter i will try it, probaly not just depends how lucky i am feeling :P

MikeDX
June 30th, 2006, 11:23
Once I've fitted the UP at the weekend, I'll test downgraders all day :)

the one and only
June 30th, 2006, 11:33
lol, classic

but wat should be done is 50 or so reflashes should be run then we can all see the reliabiltiy of the exploit :p

if i had the chip i would do it but i am too poor :(

MikeDX
June 30th, 2006, 11:57
I'm definitely not rich, but I am quite fortunate :)

judas_coach
June 30th, 2006, 12:09
I'm definitely not rich, but I am quite fortunate :)
same here brother

bandit
June 30th, 2006, 13:09
That was a nice read. Kinda long to read but well worth it.

FREE DARK_ALEX!!!! I mean..stop blaming him. He warned all you noobs that it was untested but you went ahead and listed to a no-named person, PSPXNax.

nigelrigel
June 30th, 2006, 13:16
ThIS is all so exciting, I remember when the first GTA hack came out it was like a god given, I cant stress the fact of how unamagineably cool this is. And Yes, Sweet Justice would be the word, especialy for all they did.

-any who im phyiked, And sony, im not going to add a comment about them...

FullGore
June 30th, 2006, 13:55
Congratulations PSPXNax, you just made a f***ing idiot out of yourself. I hope this will stop all the critics towards DarK_AleX.

As for the downgrader.....give it time. It WILL be done.
The real fun starts now for dev's :cool:

mr_nick666
June 30th, 2006, 13:57
Once I've fitted the UP at the weekend, I'll test downgraders all day :)

i have access to three PSPs and i aint rich, 1 v2.5 1 v2.71 and 1 1.5. i AM going to try this downdater on my 1.5 which will be updated to 2.6. my 2.5 is getting the UP chip soon. will post results tommorow.

Good work my friends! - Its for the greater good! :) Fare thee well...! ;)

dalejrrocks
June 30th, 2006, 14:17
Maybe we should have a great days in PSP history section. LOL

Anger
June 30th, 2006, 15:22
nice to see some sites posting the full and complete truth about it.

i feel really sorry for dark_alex, however i think he did the wrong thing by releasing it as a binary. but you learn from your mistakes i guess. i hope he continues to work on this and make it work and not feel bad because people blamed him for the bricking. if it wasnt him it would have been someone else and its the unstable nature of the exploit that seems to be causing the bricks.

Mr. Shizzy
June 30th, 2006, 15:26
I think DarK_aleX is on the bestcoders out there. It's a shame all that bull crap went on. I'm glad the truth has been told. PSPXNax - you are then official scum of the Earth. I hope karma gets your no good ass someday. What you did was so wrong. Also, anyone trying to make money off all this (w/ false claims of bricked PSPs) - you are also scum; you make me sick.

Lumir
June 30th, 2006, 15:32
Quick question...

Once you DL'd the downgrader did it have a read-me? And if it did, was it stated that the downgrader might brick your psp?

If so there isnt anyone to blame except those that tried it without reading the read me. I pity those with bricks but i dont condone flaming, especially if its not somthing $ony official.

Terdinglagev2
June 30th, 2006, 16:29
Yeah, in fact it was explicitly stated so. Also, the password to the archive was something like. This_may_brick_your_PSP.

Oh and Im glad you guys liked my article, the real nikname is Terdinglage btw, I couldnt remeber my password.

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 16:33
Yeah, in fact it was explicitly stated so. Also, the password to the archive was something like. This_may_brick_your_PSP.

Oh and Im glad you guys liked my article, the real nikname is Terdinglage btw, I couldnt remeber my password.
the password was I_use_at_my_own_risk

Anger
June 30th, 2006, 16:50
the warning was ignored by some people because they thought that someone had successfully downgraded - that makes it pspxnax's complete responsability.

Terdinglagev2
June 30th, 2006, 16:57
looks like we may not be seeing a beta today, check the original post for the update.

bullhead
June 30th, 2006, 17:02
So will this thing definately downgrade 2.6 firmware 100% eventuallay? I can barely believe my eyes!

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 17:04
looks like we may not be seeing a beta today, check the original post for the update.
damn i wanted to see what the beta version had to offer...ohh well hopefully tomarrow then

Terdinglagev2
June 30th, 2006, 17:27
As soon as I have more information regarding its release, I willl update my post.

Lumir
June 30th, 2006, 18:05
the warning was ignored by some people because they thought that someone had successfully downgraded - that makes it pspxnax's complete responsability.

Knowing that its not $ony official software, for me personally i would be and am very scepticle about downgraders. Even if someone said they were successful it still dosent mean there is a chance to end up with a brick.

Those that ignored the warning and ended up with bricked psp's should be angry at themselves for trying somthing so new that hasent had a life span of 1 week...

Be smart people... if it was official then protest flame and sue, other whys deal with it, your fault.

Mr. Shizzy
June 30th, 2006, 18:55
Those that ignored the warning and ended up with bricked psp's should be angry at themselves for trying somthing so new that hasent had a life span of 1 week...

Be smart people... if it was official then protest flame and sue, other whys deal with it, your fault.

This is true. It's kinda like the "protect yourself at all times" rule in boxing. If you do something to your PSP and brick it, than it is ultimately your own fault. :(
But that doesn't change the fact that this douch bag intentionally lied to his fellow homebrew peers and (indirectly) caused mass destruction.:mad:
He betrayed the entire homebrew community. My PSP was not bricked. (I already have 1.5) But I'm sure that this guy is not very popular in the hb scene. He may want to update his virus protection LOL.:D

tavueni
June 30th, 2006, 19:09
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I've been watching the scene over the last couple of months and never really gotten involved because of my inexperience with the PSP (I am not a coder and I've only had a PSP for the last couple of months) and I don't really say anything unless I have something I think is worth saying. Given the ball slapping I've seen on this whole thing, I felt like getting on my soap box for once.

First of all, I think everyone needs to be a bit more grateful for the work guys like fanjita, hitchhkr and whoever else develops this stuff. Personally, I wouldn't even know where to BEGIN to do anything like this. Remember, they don't have to release ANY of this stuff to us if they don't want to. It could easily have been a closed community where we would all have our PSP's doing the same thing they did when it came of the box we bought it in. This kind of "enhancing" is trial and error. If it wasn't, then Sony would have included all of these features we wanted from the beginning.

These guys do the magic yet we all want the benefits and none of the work involved. If the exploits work, great, we're happy, we'll sing the praises of the guys who made it and there is no poverty, famine and meaningless killing going on in the world. If it doesn't work, it's not so rosy and blame, flame and shame ensue saying "This is crap", "Your app is crap", "this doesn't work", "my PSP is bricked" etc.

People need to take more heed to the fact that you are responsible for your OWN PSP (your OWN PSP) The guys who develop the exploits aren't. YOU chose what you do to your PSP, they don't. What works for some people might not for others. If you run something and it kills your PSP, don't ask "who wrote the thing that killed my PSP", ask "who RAN the thing that killed my PSP". Dark_Alex didn't. Fanjita didn't. YOU DID. You know the risks of what you do. If you didn't, you should have checked the risks before doing it. People who deliberately develop malicious stuff to kill PSP's are wrong, of that there is no doubt but ultimately, YOU are responsible for your belongings and what you do with them.

If you DON'T want to brick your PSP, the answer is simple. Don't do anything to it. This will work great as I'm sure the tens of thousands of people that aren't interested in this kind of stuff will testify to. If you do want all the added functionality, hacks, cracks, apps and exploits that these guys work hard on developing, you run it at your OWN risk and most developers add the disclaimer saying "Try at your own risk" or "We do not take responsibilty for any damage caused by the running of this".

Most of all, I think it's unfair of ANY of us to critise what fanjita, hitchhkr or anyone else does. If you think you can do better, go ahead and prove yourself. If it works, great, toast your magnificence and either keep your discovery to yourself and sit like Smeagol with your "precious" or share it with others for them to TRY. What you do is YOUR decision. If like me and you can't code a damn and wouldn't know where to even BEGIN to make and exploit, app or hack for ANYTHING, be silent and grateful that the few who DO know release anything to us.

Personally, I have a PSP running 2.6 and I REALLY hope that these guys can make it happen because I would also like to share in the fun that Kernal mode/Exploited firmware offers. If they do it great. If it works, even better, thank you and thank you for sharing. If it kills my PSP, damn it! "I" KILLED MY PSP by doing something I shouldn't have knowing that it could kill it.

Ultimately, the choice is your OWN. Feel free to flame me if you think I'm wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This is mine.

End of rant.

vettacossx
June 30th, 2006, 19:19
Why Not Do Like Sniper Suggested Omg Just Use A Mod Chip To Un-brick Psp"s That Are Bricked

And Also Use A Psp With Modchip To Test ;)

If Your Psp Is Bricked Buy A Mod_chip To Unbrick It....its Still Cheaper To Buy A Modchip And Pay Radioshack To Install It Than To Pay For Another Psp!!!!!

jaydoo
June 30th, 2006, 19:20
Great article, thanks for clearing the mud.

csd-san
June 30th, 2006, 19:47
Seconded tavueni.

While PSPXnax is a lying sack of shit, it's unfair to put all the blame on him, when he didn't force anybody to use the code. But at the same time, it goes without saying that he isn't exactly justified.

LazerTag
June 30th, 2006, 20:35
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I've been watching the scene over the last couple of months and never really gotten involved because of my inexperience with the PSP (I am not a coder and I've only had a PSP for the last couple of months) and I don't really say anything unless I have something I think is worth saying. Given the ball slapping I've seen on this whole thing, I felt like getting on my soap box for once.

First of all, I think everyone needs to be a bit more grateful for the work guys like fanjita, hitchhkr and whoever else develops this stuff. Personally, I wouldn't even know where to BEGIN to do anything like this. Remember, they don't have to release ANY of this stuff to us if they don't want to. It could easily have been a closed community where we would all have our PSP's doing the same thing they did when it came of the box we bought it in. This kind of "enhancing" is trial and error. If it wasn't, then Sony would have included all of these features we wanted from the beginning.

These guys do the magic yet we all want the benefits and none of the work involved. If the exploits work, great, we're happy, we'll sing the praises of the guys who made it and there is no poverty, famine and meaningless killing going on in the world. If it doesn't work, it's not so rosy and blame, flame and shame ensue saying "This is crap", "Your app is crap", "this doesn't work", "my PSP is bricked" etc.

People need to take more heed to the fact that you are responsible for your OWN PSP (your OWN PSP) The guys who develop the exploits aren't. YOU chose what you do to your PSP, they don't. What works for some people might not for others. If you run something and it kills your PSP, don't ask "who wrote the thing that killed my PSP", ask "who RAN the thing that killed my PSP". Dark_Alex didn't. Fanjita didn't. YOU DID. You know the risks of what you do. If you didn't, you should have checked the risks before doing it. People who deliberately develop malicious stuff to kill PSP's are wrong, of that there is no doubt but ultimately, YOU are responsible for your belongings and what you do with them.

If you DON'T want to brick your PSP, the answer is simple. Don't do anything to it. This will work great as I'm sure the tens of thousands of people that aren't interested in this kind of stuff will testify to. If you do want all the added functionality, hacks, cracks, apps and exploits that these guys work hard on developing, you run it at your OWN risk and most developers add the disclaimer saying "Try at your own risk" or "We do not take responsibilty for any damage caused by the running of this".

Most of all, I think it's unfair of ANY of us to critise what fanjita, hitchhkr or anyone else does. If you think you can do better, go ahead and prove yourself. If it works, great, toast your magnificence and either keep your discovery to yourself and sit like Smeagol with your "precious" or share it with others for them to TRY. What you do is YOUR decision. If like me and you can't code a damn and wouldn't know where to even BEGIN to make and exploit, app or hack for ANYTHING, be silent and grateful that the few who DO know release anything to us.

Personally, I have a PSP running 2.6 and I REALLY hope that these guys can make it happen because I would also like to share in the fun that Kernal mode/Exploited firmware offers. If they do it great. If it works, even better, thank you and thank you for sharing. If it kills my PSP, damn it! "I" KILLED MY PSP by doing something I shouldn't have knowing that it could kill it.

Ultimately, the choice is your OWN. Feel free to flame me if you think I'm wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This is mine.

End of rant.

May I applaud a really great and well thought out first post. Very nice.

I feel one thing is left out and though. I do totally agree that what "I" run on my PSP is totally up to me. "I" in fact may run something that bricks it. And no one to blame but me.

However, as Mr. Shizzy pointed out, the guy whom was the initial guinea pig (his own choosing) was wrong on his position to flat out lie and say "it worked" like he did. He didn't save other PSP's like his statement claims he did, he caused some users grief whom may have decided to wait for a newer version. Simply put, if he was not willing to do his part he should have said so and moved on. I think instead he lied and hoped for the best figuring he would go down in "history" as "the guy whom was willing to give it a go first" and then perform the downgrade himself. So again it's not even that guys fault, but to cloud over that he didn't even test it initially prior to it being released really screwed a lot of peeps.

Anyway, good luck to those programmers and keep the faith. Some of us do in fact know whose fault it is when things go awry, ours not yours. ;)

Viva La PSP 1.5!

tophead420
June 30th, 2006, 21:24
Seconded tavueni.

While PSPXnax is a lying sack of shit, it's unfair to put all the blame on him, when he didn't force anybody to use the code. But at the same time, it goes without saying that he isn't exactly justified.

touche hes sudnt get all the blame but he sud a majority of it by saying the downdater worked and also people with bricked psp's sould have RESERCHED downgrading befor you rush into it if a downgrader is every released and i decide to try it imma research for a few days so i know exactly how to do it and ill probly ask somone to walk me through it

and very nice first post tavueni and dood i to was very inexperienced when i found the site to but ask questions if u ever need help and also use search to bc its probly got wut your looking for and welcome to DCEMU :D :D :D :D

Video_freak
June 30th, 2006, 22:02
i too felt unclear about a lot of things. thanks for clearing it all up :)

mog
July 1st, 2006, 04:15
I can't believe so many people were in such a rush to try this downdater.
I mean, if they waited just one week, several people would have the UP modchip. (me included :))
We could have tested it without any consequences... but never mind... :rolleyes:

Anger
July 1st, 2006, 13:24
people got caught up on the excitement of a new exploit then a possible downgrader just 2 days later. then that moron that claimed it worked...i can see why so many people tried it. the modchip is going to cost money so i imagine if people think they can do this stuff without the chip that would be better.

Fanjita
July 5th, 2006, 17:47
BTW, I'm not sure how anything that I said was "debunked" by that article, and the "exclusive email" (not sure where that phrase came from) was just the readme.txt file in the package that was distributed over IRC.

The exploit is naturally unstable at the moment - that's the way exploits are, it's where the real work in the eLoader happens.

And as for memory shortages - officially-available memory is thin on the ground, but no worse than in the standard user mode environment under GTA. It's easy to deal with it by implementing custom memory management, and in fact that should be even more effective under kernel mode. Still, we don't actually care how much RAM is available, since the ultimate aim is not to need to use it immediately anyway.

Anyway, not sure what the point of this article was in relation to the kernel exploit, but it does a reasonable job of explaining the downdater farrago.