PDA

View Full Version : KOS for PS2.GBA.DC.GP32?

wraggster
November 17th, 2004, 18:28
Could you have a KOS for say all the systems above, where you write the program in a language that could be used on all say SDL or C and then get KOS to compile multiple releases.?

Could that ever be done?

WHurricane16
November 17th, 2004, 22:01
KOS can already to be used to compile simple GBA and PS2 binaries. The problem I find with KOS is that it's open source, but there aren't the base of knowledgeable PS2 or GBA guys who care to add to it. KOS is big in the Dreamcast scene, so I don't see DC devers committing the time they already don't have much of adding to it. It would be fantastic of some guys from the PS2 or GBA scene took an interest in KOS and start building up those aspects of it.

DanPotter
November 17th, 2004, 23:21
KOS has ports for the following archs:

- Dreamcast (obviously)
- PS2 RTE (Linux dev kit boot only)
- GBA
- ia32 (aka PC)

The ia32 port likely doesn't compile anymore, though at one point I did boot it on a real PC and run Kosh. :) Likewise the PS2 and GBA ports likely don't compile anymore in the main dev tree. Gil Megidish has been building up and maintaining a GBA version of KOS 1.2.x that is apparently quite full featured. He's used it to do some pretty impressive ports to the GBA.

I'm not sure SDL is small enough to realistically fit in a GBA game but I suppose one could at least compile in the parts they really need (you can do Makefiles per platform for KOS ports).

There's no GP32 port, but it ought to be super easy to add one due to the ARM support for GBA. Feel free to step up to the plate Wraggster ;)