PDA

View Full Version : need experienced coder for a new project

dadrester
July 3rd, 2006, 16:00
hey. I'm after someone with some experience in coding, for an idea I'm toying with. now, I've got to admit, this is my first home brew project (i used to work for a developer who've gone bust so I've got a bit of spare time in between job hunting) and the only coding I've ever done is in lingo (macromedia director) so my actual programming skills are very limited but i just fancied a bit of a challenge and to get some "extra curricular" ;) on my CV.

at the moment the idea is to get a 1-3 level demo working. that's all. I'm not sure if it would be possible to do in lua, but for me that would be preferable since it would mean I could try and learn a bit for myself.

the game itself would be in 3D and ideally the perfect programmer would have good physics knowledge since it'll be a key factor in the game.

basically the idea is to make a 3D update of old c64 classic wizball. graphics i could do. simple 3D plain for level, with a few warp pipes and columns. low poly character and enemies.

first thing would be to get a 3D ball moving in all directions by player command.

next get the ball bouncing like in wizball.

then get the ball shooting in the direction of travel.

probably code an enemy movement script that could be altered easily for different enemies.

collision detection for enemies, pickups and bullets

create first pickup upgrade (antigrav - since we will already have that movement)

then maybe a first pass 2D hud displaying number of enemies.

...etc...etc...

if anyone thinks they've got the ability and fancies doing a simple, fun 3D psp demo drop me a mail (mailto:[email protected]) I'm open to any suggestions and as far as I'm concerned if someone wants in, they can take full reigns programming wise. I'm also looking for advice on what would be the best way to start this project, since it'll be in 3D would lua be ok? or maybe starting with an existing engine like iris would be the way to go?

[edit] oh yeah, we'd need to get some sort of exporter for studio max working too if there isn't already one (i seem to remember seeing one a while ago but i'm not sur if that would be usable... so i guess that would be a major thing to get done)

dadrester
July 3rd, 2006, 20:25
ok i just checked out some lua for the first time and i can't believe how easy and fast it is to get something up and running (for someone with next to no programming experience or knowledge). so here you go... my first ever bit of lua... scratch that my first ever bit of homebrew :D

it's basically just a start screen type hello world. if you fancy wasting a few minutes checking it out feel free. really doesn't do much but press triangle to change the music track... it took me about 20 minutes to do so i'm quite excited about the prospects of learning some more.

[edit] oh yeah just unzip and put it in your lua player apps folder

IndianCheese
July 3rd, 2006, 21:05
The Flash game "_bounce_" is a Wizball clone. Unfortunately, I think it requires Flash 8. Play it here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/272568

gotmilk0112
July 3rd, 2006, 21:42
indiancheese!!!! where have u been i havent seen u in forever