PDA

View Full Version : The Wii Is No Competition For Xbox 360

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 20:49
Microsoft’s General Manager of MGS spoke to Kikizo recently and he had the following to say about the Wii:

“We have a tremendous amount of respect for Nintendo and truthfully, I hope they are successful, because expanding the market and bringing more people into the interactive entertainment industry is a good thing for everybody. But they’re not really head-to-head competitors with us. They don’t have the same kind of online vision that we do, with Live Anywhere, and they’re not a HD gaming console either. So I don’t think it would be fair to them, to say that they’re head-to-head competitors with us.”

The Hombrew Hunter
July 3rd, 2006, 21:42
Oh my god! I can't stop laughing!

Total bullcrap, though. I predict the Wii will sell more than the Xbox 360. 4 words. Super. Smash. Bros. Brawl.

sNIk
July 3rd, 2006, 21:56
indeed. lol.

Kaiser
July 3rd, 2006, 23:01
Oh my god! I can't stop laughing!

Total bullcrap, though. I predict the Wii will sell more than the Xbox 360. 4 words. Super. Smash. Bros. Brawl.

Agreed, I think its sales will eclipse Xbox 360 before the end of 2006.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 3rd, 2006, 23:11
I still think the 360's gonna pull a Dreamcast, you dig?

I, personally, hope it does.

1stvinicius
July 4th, 2006, 01:29
Man, IMO the Wii will suck just because of its pad...

chaos-is-me
July 4th, 2006, 01:43
I personally think the "Wiimote" will be amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on it! I love my Xbox but the 360 just doesn't appeal to me much.

stotheamuel
July 4th, 2006, 03:43
Oh god yes. the wii is awesome i cant wait!... Itll save room putting away my n64 and gamecube... damn you non backwards compatibility... I love how small it is supposed to be (approx. 3 dvd cases) i can't even fit the 360 within my intertainment center standing upright (better for the console) and I had it out in the open with a system link in, and someone knocked it over and i ruined one of blockbusters games! HAHAHAHA

dtothabreezy
July 4th, 2006, 05:38
i own a 360 love it to death but to say the wii not in the compeion is deffinitly not true:D

The Hombrew Hunter
July 4th, 2006, 08:00
Uh oh people. Microsoft's ego is showing.

tsurumaru
July 4th, 2006, 09:46
I would think that its fairly obvious what they are trying to say.

Microsoft see Sony as their main rival, as Sony's hardware is the one that is aiming at the same consumer base, HD, Online content & multiplayer net play.

At present MS see Nintendo's machine appealing to a different type of gamer and therefore don't see it as in direct competition to the 360.

Hell its so affordable I'm sure it will sell well, and I am seriously considering getting one, this coming from a European gamer! (and we all know how bad the big N's reputation is there!)

Blu Gruv
July 5th, 2006, 05:00
Really, I'm getting the same vibe on things.

I mean, I felt the same way about the gamecube, not so much the same for the 64, but most definately the gamecube. Whenever I compared it to my PS2, it just seemed less appealing. Not in a technical sense, as the timeframes of developement and release alone allowed Gamecube to be a more technically powerful machine, but it seemed that the gamecube was aimed slightly toward a younger crowd. Moreso than just, say, Nintendo's titles, but even down to the advertising and marketing plans. Plus the lower prices, to top it off (parents are more willing to buy the cheaper hardware ;).

I think both machines will be successful in their own right, whether by hard work and good planning or even in spite of themselves. But I would most definately not consider the Wii to be a direct competitor to the 360, as I don't think the Wii alone would be a reason for someone to not buy a 360. I could see someone making a choice between a PS3 and a 360, but the Wii is too different a machine.

One thing you can't reasonably well say though is that Microsoft didn't plan out the 360 technology. The initial release was rocky, but the implemented hardware technology is more complex than anything I've seen in a console thus far, and that's more specifically down to the finer subtleties of the machine.

stepppp
July 5th, 2006, 21:33
Well id rather have the Wii....microshaft havent released anything on LIVe for months now. No statements, release dates mean nothing. Plus most of the commercial games have framerate problems/tearing issues.

Ill be selling mine soon if things dont improve.

NoQuarter
July 6th, 2006, 07:47
Nintendo may well be positioned to outsell both its competitors this time around.

tsurumaru
July 6th, 2006, 09:43
Nintendo may well be positioned to outsell both its competitors this time around.

I think they have a strong chance, now lets hope that they do not lose the plot in terms of their software releases! :) Has anyone here had a hands on with the Wii-mote? I'm really hoping it doesn't feel too gimmicky if you understand what I mean.

On a separate point:

"microshaft havent released anything on LIVe for months now"

Content wise, or are you talking about Arcade?

Blu Gruv
July 6th, 2006, 16:31
Personally I'm not big on the online part of things, although most of that stems from the fact that I have dial-up internet ;) For the games that I get, there's plenty good gameplay on the single-player side of things.

I don't know which games specifically that you're talking about that have choppy or laggy framerates, but anything I've seen runs pretty smoothly. Maybe that's my perception coming from a middle-end PC for my gaming. All in all, while I know since it is a console it should be able to produce it's main purpose very well, but sometimes I think people expect way too much out of the things. I remember reading articles before the PS2 came out where guys would dissect screen caps from games like Ridge Racer and get super upset because they could see 'jaggies', when in reality the expected something like our XBox 360 from now back then. It can really only do so much, and if you read the technical specs and all that is going on internally (you may have to be a bit computer savvy to really appreciate it), it is quite an incredible machine. Also, just like with say the PS2 or any other cutting-edge console, you have to look at things from the developer's end as well. How many developers out there for the 360 really have their stuff together and can program efficiently for the hardware? Some over-ambitious developers just push the machine in the wrong was and cause it to look bad, when in reality they're the ones not programming good code.

Another thing that kind of upsets me seeing is when people dog on consoles because of the name on the front, not because of its performance or capabilities or software library. Sure, if you come at things from the approach that "Microsoft sucks period", you're gonna have that in your mind that the 360 can't amount to anything. The self-fulfilling prophecy, my friend. You gotta look at things objectively.