PDA

View Full Version : The Top 10 Most Important Games Ever

wraggster
July 4th, 2006, 01:12
Gamefaqs has come up with what it considers to be the top 10 most important games ever, here they are:

#10: Super Mario 64 (N64)
#9: Space Invaders (ARC)
#8: Star Wars (ARC)
#7: Donkey Kong (ARC)
#6: Breakout (ARC)
#5: Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
#4: Tetris (GB)
#3: Pong (ARC)
#2: Pac-Man (ARC)
#1: Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Do you agree, do you not, answer via the comments

publicprivates
July 4th, 2006, 01:13
dont agree. star wars should be replaced with street fighters 2 turbo

drew4237
July 4th, 2006, 01:18
i think mario 64 should be higher up on the list maybe in the top 4 atleast

borgamix
July 4th, 2006, 01:19
Gamefaqs has come up with what it considers to be the top 10 most important games ever, here they are:

whats the diference between snes and nes, because i want to have super mario bros on my psp and is there a good n64 emulator for super mario 64??

p.s - oh, and i agree with this except for star wars like the guy before me said

luis_05
July 4th, 2006, 01:23
I agree!!!!

Dark_Wolf89
July 4th, 2006, 01:25
I totally disagree... In my opinion, mario (nes) is more important than any of these games... and why Zelda isn't there???
I prefer the top 100 (http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html)made by ign.com few months ago.

mog
July 4th, 2006, 01:30
Depends what it means by "most important" really.
No sonic? No streeet fighter? No RPGs? ...No Final Fantasy?!!! :eek:

And how could they forget frogger?! Hours of fun! :D

gunntims0103
July 4th, 2006, 01:34
i dont agree with that heres my top 10 most important games

#10:metriod(what started the side scrolling shooter)(nes)
#9:street fighter 2(best fighting game)(snes)
#8: pac-man(classic)(arcade)
#7:zelda(classic)(nes,snes,n64)
#6:golden eye(came later but was the proto type for games like halo)(n64)
#5:mario 64(great game)(n64)
#4:sonic the hegdehog(loads of fun)(sega,dreamcast)
#3:super mario(classic)(nes)
#2:tetris(classic)(nes,snes,gb,gbc)
#1:kingdom hearts(came later but on my charts quickly rushed in a s one of the best and most important game in my eyes)ps2

any order really for me

vettacossx
July 4th, 2006, 01:43
1:final fantasy 7 best AND most popular rpg of all time!!!

2:STARFOX SNES THE SUPER FX CHIP!!!

chrono trigger

3:KILLER INSTINCT
4:MK TRILOGY!
mario rpg
tetris attack
contra
5:marvel vs capcom 1 and 2 OMG
6:street fighter games
tekken= gr8 inovative fighter ;)
8:metal gear solid 1 psx psycho-mantis moving your controller! taking out mem card to stop him from reading your mind!!!
sonic 3 fav sonic and reminds me of kaiser ;) :)
9sonic knuckles attachment Cart !!!! HUGE
DUCK HUNT nes ZAPPER ;)
track and feild ( running pad )
10:super scope 6 snes ;)
and i can prob go on till next year with games that made a bigger DENT so to speak but hey we all know the truth ;) ,,,,,lol

Kaiser
July 4th, 2006, 01:58
Mine would go something like this

10. Metal Gear Solid (Konami)
9. Space Harrier (Sega)
9. Original Zelda (Nintendo)
8. Space Invaders (Taito)
7. Resident Evil (Capcom)
6. Final Fantasy V (Square)
5. Virtua Fighter (Sega)
4. Pac-Man (Midway)
3. Goldeneye (Rare)
2. Sonic The Hedgehog (Sega)
1. Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo)

10shu
July 4th, 2006, 02:05
I think Resident eVil4 should be in that list...that game as set a new level of quality for 3d game...

but I guest, come out with just 10 game is pretty hard:o

Kaiser
July 4th, 2006, 02:07
i think Resident eVil4 should be in that list...that game as set a new level of quality for 3d game...

Yeah at least for action games its a new standard. It will be pretty influential in the long run, but its too new to see the effects yet.

repuken2
July 4th, 2006, 02:10
#1: Street Fighter 2 : The World Warrior(Arcade).
The game that defined 15 years of gaming, and yet the games that are made today.It had all (combos,high and low guard, special moves) and it was completely original. It is the most amazing and innovative piece of software ever.

#2: Super Mario Bross.(Nes):
Defined a genre too.
#3:Renegade + Double Dragon(Arcade):
The beggining of the beat 'em ups, later perfected by Final Fight.
#4:1943(Arcade):
Defined the vertical shooter genre. Many came after this one. Perhaps 1942 started it but '43 had way more defined gameplay with many different shoots.
#5:Operation Wolf(Arcade):
Started the rail shooters genre.
#6:WonderBoy2 + Black Tiger (Arcade):
Rpg + action anyone?
#7:Castlevania SOTN:
Because its the perfection itself.
#8:Resident Evil(PSX1).
#9:Tetris:
Simple and fun, the paradigm of puzzle games.
#10:Outrun:
Back on it's day no racing game looked so good.

My personal best 3 of all the times (I have mantained this for 15 years now)
#1:Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition (arcade).
Better than the best.
#2:Final Fight (arcade). Funny as hell even now, 17 years after it came out.
#3:Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (snes). Perfection in gameplay+sound+graphics.

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 4th, 2006, 02:14
Ridiculous...

Wheres DOOM! :cool:

Ichijoe
July 4th, 2006, 02:28
Pac-Man should be Nr.1 End-of-List!!

Now I know I'm gettin on here and a lot of you have no clue about Arcades from way back when. This was when the still had Pong TV Game Systems that were in Black and White. I can tell you that little Yellow B*sterd ate more Money outa me then he did Power Pellets! :-)

As for revolutionary it's Wolfenstein 3D barnone. The Great Grandday of 'em all.

For RPG I call Ultma 3 Exile (C=64)

chrisrulz555
July 4th, 2006, 02:32
Where the hell is pong, without that games wouldnt be.

Pelnied
July 4th, 2006, 02:35
i totally agree mostly but uhh to answer borgamix's question... BORGAMIX IF U SEE THIS LOOK AT IT!!!! lol ummm SNES is Super Nintendo which means it would run SNES games (not Super Mario Bros. 1) NES is Nintendo Entertainment System (would play Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3) is u want a good emu for SNES get the latest version of UO_Snes9x and if u want NES get the latest version of NESTERJ

Addictedd
July 4th, 2006, 02:37
and wtf is zelda not there?

Xavier
July 4th, 2006, 02:55
I disagree
Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis is a very good game but Donkey Kong is better

slaphappygamer
July 4th, 2006, 03:18
contra, 1942, and river city ransom should be up there. i guess if i had to choose ONLY 10 games......thats a difficult list to put together.

oh and ffVII(psx) should DEFINETLY be in the ten. ive never felt emotion towards a game before. ill never forget that game and i will always have it.

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 4th, 2006, 03:32
Still say Doom...

I play the GBA version on my DS and the PSP port everyday... I still play network games on PC, instead of Quake 4 and F.E.A.R :D

It's just the father of all FPS's, even the novels are great... But I'm still happy Wolf3D made it to the list.

Fallout is an awesome RPG, I think that deserves a spot somewhere...

What else? Sonic ofcourse! and Super Mario Bros on the NES.

Hehe, ah memories! :p

KriMe
July 4th, 2006, 03:35
Where is the first ever FPS Wolfenstein? That game was great.
http://members.aol.com/atarijag/shots/wolf1.jpg

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 4th, 2006, 03:39
Where is the first ever FPS Wolfenstein? That game was great.
http://members.aol.com/atarijag/shots/wolf1.jpg

Err, it came in at number 5 dude... hehe

Did you know that Wolf3D is one of the most violent games in history?
I mean apart from shooting up Nazi's (Caused big trouble in Germany, I think it was banned). It was also one of the first games where you kill humans, and some of the things you actually ate for health were human gibs and ofcourse dog food.... Eeeewwww..... it's true :eek:

By the way, it wasn't the first, FPS ever... ID made a coupla other games, I think one had you chasing a triangle through a maze or something...

sroon
July 4th, 2006, 03:54
I tell yah, without Wolfenstien 3D there would be no
Doom, Duke nukem,Quake, and maybe halo!
W3D started all FPS's! I also still have the Original floppy disk right here!

lucidtraveller
July 4th, 2006, 03:55
not my personal favorites but having been into videogames since they began i would have to say the most important ones would be something like this.....

1 computer space...the 1st videogame
2 pong the first popular videogame
3 space invaders...the first real arcade success
4 pac man...i hate it but it is what got the world addicted
5 donkey kong...the first mario/ platform success
6 super mario bros....redefined videogames, no longer were they just repetitive but had a point
6.5 r type/ lifeforce/ 1942/ etc created a genre
7 zelda
7.5 tetris
8 final fantasy
9 street fighter2
10 wolfenstein
11 alone in the dark...led the way to another genre
12 mario 64 and starfox 64

now my own personal faves list is drastically different
1 asteroids
2 gyruss
3 space harrier
4 ghosts and goblins
5 MK
6 doom
7 mario 64
8 diablo 2
9 GTA
10 ikaruga

not for any reasons besides i loved those games
and forbidden forest on commodore 64 :P

Shadowblind
July 4th, 2006, 04:08
10.FFVII
9.DooM
8:Quake
7.SSBM
6.Pokemon Red & Blue (classic)
5.FF: Mystic Quest (SNES)
4.KH-CoM
3:KH
2:KHII
1.KHII

My top ten :D

The_Lead_Factor
July 4th, 2006, 04:11
I demand you add Starcraft! Every south korean has/played it.

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 4th, 2006, 04:46
Anybody ever played a King's Quest? Little campy nowdays, but I spent hours on them years ago.

Didn't exactly 'define a genre', but it's still interesting to see that others spent the same amount of time on the same games as you :D

lol @ sroon: I still have the original Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny and Doom 1 floppys too :p

AuroEdge
July 4th, 2006, 05:36
i think mario 64 should be higher up on the list maybe in the top 4 atleast
4th place at least heck yeah. Just like Final Fantasy VII was the pioneer of modern day RPGs, Super Mario 64 is the pioneer of anything video game & 3D.

RemixUnlimited
July 4th, 2006, 05:40
How is this news?
Kings Quest FTW, this list fails.

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 05:45
#10 Swords of Vermillion
# 9 Shinobi
# 8 Spider Fighter (Arcade)
# 7 Jr. Pacman
# 6 Wolf3D
# 5 Street Fighter
# 4 Mario 64
# 3 Contra
# 2 Wizzard & Warriors
# 1 ZELDA

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 4th, 2006, 05:55
Least important games of all time list should be even more fun... :D Or atleast the most disappointing.

Dakatana *Cough*...

MUDD
July 4th, 2006, 06:19
The Top 10 Most Important Games Ever

i think they all kinda suck compared to others of there time .this is more like the top 10 games sold in america or something .i know more than a few are stolen from some japanese game.

this is so american.

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 06:28
The Top 10 Most Important Games Ever

i think they all kinda suck compared to others of there time .this is more like the top 10 games sold in america or something .i know more than a few are stolen from some japanese game.

this is so american.

I take you either hate Americans or something because this games are sold world wide and the post wasn't started by an American.

ninja9393
July 4th, 2006, 06:40
duh

legend of zelda (nes):D

Halo (xbox):D

Metroid (nes):D

Kingdom Hearts(ps2):D

mortal kombat(1)

samthegreat68
July 4th, 2006, 06:48
Ridiculous...

Wheres DOOM! :cool:
AMEN TO THAT! DOOM was the first game that ever scared the crap out of me, or probally anyone.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 4th, 2006, 07:10
Ugh. Don't agree, to both this and IGN's 100.

NOT A SINGLE DAMN MEGAMAN GAME THOSE *******S!

AND WORMS/2/ARMAGEDDON/WORLD PARTY!

RetroGoth
July 4th, 2006, 08:10

Here is mine
#10 Pokemon (GB)
#9 Zelda (NES)
#8 Asteroids (any)
#7 Pong (any)
#6 Final Fantasy 7 (PSX)
#5 Super Mario 64 (N64)
#4 Pacman (any)
#3 Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
#2 Tetris (any)
#1 Super mario bros (NES)

First of all we have super mario which of course changed the way we looked at games. Then tetris an amazing puzzle game that is simple but fun. Wolfenstein 3D became the roots for fps. pacman because of the impact it had in the arcades. Super mario 64 because it refined 3D gaming. Finfal fantasy 7 to show us what an RPG really was (before not many payed attention to rpgs and found them boring). Pong because well it is pong nothing else to say. Asteroids for the same reason as pong. Zelda because it was not only an impressive game but it was the first ever game to use a battery to save your game. Pokemon made the gameboy come alive again with popularity and i know it was popular already but everyone had to get this gamem, they sold millions and showed you a different kind of rpg as well. Well that's what I think and you see that most of them are old games and that's because without these we wouldnt be playing the games that we have today. These are our roots and possibly had the biggest impact in gaming.

Junior
July 4th, 2006, 08:47
What a load of steaming ... Gamefaq did it again.

Here's a halfway decent list that takes historical milestones into account. I'm well aware that there ought to be more.

10. Breakout
9. Final Fantasy
8. StarCraft
7. Elite
6. Wolfenstein 3D
5. System Shock
4. The Secret of Monkey Island
3. Street Fighter 2
2. Fallout
1. Grand Theft Auto

There is room for quite some more, as a list like that is hardly complete even with 10 or 20 more places. There's got to be some more room in there for games like Ultima or Wizardry, Diablo or Pac-Man alright.

But here is the deal: You can't put in 3 fracking Mario games in the top 10 list of most important games EVER and get away with it No way! The games are good, but not that good, and 1 representitive game ought to suffice for the whole series.

Now I'm aware that my top 10 are totally devoid of anything remotely related to Jump & Run games. Let's just say Mario comes in at spot 11 or switches places with Street Fighter or Breakout if you insist.

Accordion
July 4th, 2006, 09:29
without these games the list means nothing
metal gear solid
dragon quest
elite
rez
ico

d_dunn
July 4th, 2006, 09:42
Well guys, may i ask,

"where the hell is RESIDENT EVIL on dis fing...?" :confused:

Like this is the only game in the history of gaming that has made me go out and purchase a console just for that game.... & it hasn't done it just the once...

1996 : bought a PSX for "R.E. the orginal"
2000 : bought a Dreamcast for "R.E. Code Veronica"
2001 : bought a Gamecube for "R.E. Remake" "R.E. Zero" & most importantly "R.E.4" game of 2005!!!

I'm sure i'm not the only one to do dis impuse buying of consoles :rolleyes:

My top 10 wud b :

10. Snake (Nokia Mobile. addictive isnt the word)
9. NFS : Most Wanted (Plays so beautifully)
8. Zelda : Link to the past (Still play it on PSP)
7. Metal Gear Solid (WOT A STORYLINE)
6. FEAR (PC. My most played game at the moment)
5. Golden Eye (N64. "Rare" as they cum)
4. MarioKart (SNES. yrs of competitions)
3. Mario All Stars (SNES. wot more cud u ask for)
2. Resident Evil (G.C. remake, visually stunning)
1. Resident Evil 4 (G.C. blow me away & i still play it) :p

dOOmy
July 4th, 2006, 10:02
One evening in the early 1970's I went into a tv stereo shop I knew the owner of and he said to me, "come over here I want to show you something". He showed me a dam big brown box hooked up to a tv and showed me "PONG", I was amazed and I knew right there that night would be a night I would always remember and that my life would be changed from that moment on. I was a little kid and I couldnt see how a person could control what was on tv. I mean how could they do it?? This was before pc's or betamax or anything. This was the start of it all and so by me PONG should be number 1-10. Remember that PONG was the great grandaddy of the xbox 360 and the ps3

Mr.Modem
July 4th, 2006, 10:50
I think it's impossible to do a list with only 10 places. I mean, there are more than 10 different game categories. It would be better to have a top 100 or top 50 or something.

I think Collosal Cave Adventure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure or Zork http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork should be on the list. They were some of the first games that were made for computers. They're also important because they were the first games to actually have a story to tell.

I also think that a RTS game should be on the list too. Perhaps Stonkers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonkers, the first game in the genre, or Dune II that was the first really popular RTS game.

A note about Pong: People tend to forget that PONG wasn't the first video game at all. Magnavox Odyssey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey came three years before PONG. PONG was more successful so therefor you can argue that it was more important for the gaming history.

Hungry Horace
July 4th, 2006, 12:17
this is such a list for console fan-boys.

not a single proper computer in there.

and Mario sucks big time imo.

there's some important games in there tho, Tetris, Pong, Space Invaders... even star wars is quite important with the vektor gfx, but doesnt stop t being a rubbish list.

where's the granddaddy of home-computing platformers; Manic Miner???

plungmonies
July 4th, 2006, 12:29
I think mr.modem is right on the money with zork being in the list as it truly is the grandaddy of the adventure/rpg genre. and yes the magnavox odyssey was the worlds first home console who's creator also invented pong, only to have it ripped off by atari and nolan bushnell. the true elisha gray of videogaming.
however space wars predates all of these and can even be seen in the charlton heston movie soylent green.
yet still a chess program from the 1950's predates enen that.

Gazz021
July 4th, 2006, 12:45
Mario(NES) should be no1 as it opened the door for platform games also Bomberman 2 on the SNES was the best multiplayer game i owned,I had the 4 player controller port so me and my mates played for hours. HAPPY DAYS

Vegetable
July 4th, 2006, 13:31
Trust Game***s to make a list with which nobody agrees.

Abumany
July 4th, 2006, 14:02
YO if you dont have GTA on there you missed one of the most important games for the PSP com'on now cant forget R * and the greatest game on the planet!

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 14:44
Trust Game***s to make a list with which nobody agrees.

Dude take your Zanax its to see peoples opinion on what they think there best games of all times are.

Eyedunno
July 4th, 2006, 15:06
I agree with GameFAQs' list more than most of y'all's lists. :)

It's supposed to be "most important games," not "my personal favorite games." I do agree that Street Fighter II is a must, but Doom? Kingdom Hearts? Are you guys kidding?

lumisi
July 4th, 2006, 15:38
Here is my top 10

1- Super Mario Bros 3 (nes)
2- Resident Evil (psx)
3- Tomb Raider (psx)
4- Super Mario 64 (n64)
5- Contra 3 (snes)
6- Street Fighter 2 (coin op)
7- Soul Calibur (dc)
8- Metal Gear Solid (psx)
9- Contra (nes)
10- The legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (n64)

rogerpoco
July 4th, 2006, 17:14
Here's mine(And it's only my opinion-everyone should have there own list,and everyones list is correct,from there own experiences.)
10-Brave Fencer Musashi(PSX)
9-Rygar(NES)
8-Gran Turismo(PSX)
7-Street Fighter 2(Arcade)
6-Final Fantasy(NES)
5-SMB(NES)
4-Pitfall(Atari 2600)
3-The Legend of Zelda(NES)
2-Space War(PDP 1 mainframe)
1-Kid Icarus(NES)

BTW-"Tennis for Two",by Willy Higinbotham is the first documented video game.

(and yes,I am a NES fanboy....sorry)

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 4th, 2006, 18:10

chrono trigger

mario rpg
tetris attack
contra
8:metal gear solid 1 psx psycho-mantis moving your controller! taking out mem card to stop him from reading your mind!!!
DUCK HUNT nes ZAPPER ;)
and i can prob go on till next year with games that made a bigger DENT so to speak but hey we all know the truth ;) ,,,,,lol
i agree with you FF7 rocks!!!!!!!

nonarKitten
July 4th, 2006, 18:39
Most popular does not equal most important. What about Hack/Moria/Rouge, etc that started the RPG genre, or the major MUDs that predated MMORPG's. Wolf3D wasn't the first 3D game (Ultima Underground was, IIRC), and Doom was many times superior and did more to set the precedence of FPS to come.

Wing Commander changed the way games were made forever, moving them into the multimillion dollar bugets they have today.

Or SimCity or WarCraft...

acn010
July 4th, 2006, 18:56
muahahaha.
1.- super metroid (snes)
2.- Final Fantasy 7 (psx)
3.- legend of zelda: ocarina of time (N64)
4.- super mario world (snes)
5.- mario 64 (N64)
6.- metal gear solid (psx)
7.- metal gear solid 3( ps2)
8.- pokemon (gb, gbc, gba)
9.- dragon ball Z 1,2,3,4 jap (snes)
10.- bomber man 5 (snes)
niahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dOOmy
July 4th, 2006, 21:57
In the USA, it started on May 1972 with the Magnavox Odyssey (first home video game) and Atari in November 1972 (their first PONG arcade game). Atari's game was quickly copied and improved in 1973. Later in 1975, home video games became popular and were sold by numerous companies. Ok So pong was second by a scant 6 months. But it was the first exposure I had with video games and it was the one that brought videogames to the masses

shadowprophet
July 4th, 2006, 22:57
no 10. ,Bible Adventures
no 09. Draken for the snes,
no 08, Bubsy 3d
no 07, legend of Zelda: Wand of gamelon
no 06, Total Recall, Nes
no 05, kriss Cross make my video
no 04, Night Trap
no 03, Superman 64
no 02, Rapiam Vol one
no 01, Et For the arari.

Think about it..

You know these game where very important:p

Without these insults to video game history, we could still be playing games like this. But these trail bllazers, These insults to industry standerds broke the mold forever!! And because of these games we shall never see these corruptions ever again in future games, I dont know about you,. But i would call that pretty important!

acn010
July 4th, 2006, 23:02
omg!!!!!
the bible adventure for nes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i know that game, it was one of my favorites, the cartige looked kinda weird and black :D
thanks for reminding me shadowprophet!!
yay!

shadowprophet
July 4th, 2006, 23:14
omg!!!!!
the bible adventure for nes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i know that game, it was one of my favorites, the cartige looked kinda weird and black :D
thanks for reminding me shadowprophet!!
yay!

A lot of third party games of the day.
Where first attempts at the new industry,
Choosing cheaper materials then standerd insured that if a loss happened ( which was expected ) that the company suffered as little financial loss as possible, hince the difference in some tengen and other third party developers carts ;)

acn010
July 4th, 2006, 23:18
lol,
look kinda cool though
XD
i also remembered teenage mutant ninja turtles. thats another favorite games of mine!!!!
yay. i remember those days T.T

GeEkPiE
July 5th, 2006, 01:37
1. legend of zelda - ocarina of time (N64)
2. conkers bad fur day (N64)
3. civilisation III (PC)
4. legend of zelda - majoras mask (N64)
5. super smash bros (N64)
6. Halo and Halo 2 (XBOX)
7. super mario 64 (N64)
8. super mario kart (N64)
9. 007 Goldeneye (N64)
10. mario tennis (N64)
11. F-zero (N64)
12. Geometry wars 1 + 2(XBOX + X360)
13. Tetris (GBC)
14. Project gotham racing 1,2 and 3 (XBOX + X360)
15. Def jam - fight for newyork (XBOX)
16.sensible soccer (Commodore, Amiga)
17.diddy kong racing (N64)
18.donkey Kong 64 (N64)
19. Helecopter (Internet/flash)
20.Wario Ware - touched (NDS)
21. Animal Crossing - wild world (NDS)

time_running_out
July 5th, 2006, 08:07
First time I've ever posted anything, and I had to do it because, after reading thro' 7 pages of postings, no one has mentioned Boulderdash.
This game was unique when it came out, it spawned endless clones, and the construction kit idea.
The game is so good that even today the copyright is fiercly protected because versions of it are still wanted by lots of people.

stotheamuel
July 5th, 2006, 09:56
Hmm needs LOZ (origional)...and gta3.. and doom instead of wolfenstein

and ps acn010... you gotta be kidding about bible adventures right?

bpatel4069
July 5th, 2006, 10:45
too many to list? lol theres too many to list, but the final fantasys and legend of zeldas on psx and 64 were tooooo good...

streets of rage also kicks ass

Christuserloeser
July 5th, 2006, 12:49
1. Pong / Space War
2. Space Invaders
3. Tetris
4. (Super) Mario Bros / Donkey Kong
5. Sokoban
6. Legend of Zelda
7. Street Fighter II
8. Final Fight / Double Dragon
9. Bomberman
10. Super Mario 64

Special 11th place goes to Sega Rally (Yes, I think it's that good).

Edit: Just read the initial post >_<

How could one forget Pac Man and Wolfenstein 3d ??? >_<

July 5th, 2006, 13:44

chrono trigger

mario rpg
tetris attack
contra
DUCK HUNT nes ZAPPER ;)
uhhhhh..:rolleyes:

theminstr3l
July 5th, 2006, 17:38
Never ever played Mario in my life (I'm in my early 30s). I think for console gamers this list might be right. But my list would have manic miner on it. Quake 2 would have to be there because it started the 'mouselook/wsad' revolution in FPS (I know Quake 1 had mouselook but you didn't need to mouselook to beat the game - you could just arrowkey your way around).

July 5th, 2006, 20:06
The only game i Agree with is Wolfenstein 3D. Oh ya and super mario 64.

SmashinGit
July 10th, 2006, 10:32
I think Manic Miner should be included.

JKKDARK
July 11th, 2006, 02:21
1_ Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst
2_ Phantasy Star Online Ep. I & II
3_ Shenmue
4_ Shenmue 2
5_ Sonic Adventure
6_ Skies Of Arcadia
7_ Grandia 2
8_ Phantasy Star Online Ep. 3
9_ Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
10_ Resident Evil Code: Veronica

Tron_Fan
July 13th, 2006, 22:33
Keeping in mind that these are "important" games, not necessarily the most popular or my personal favorites:

1) Pac Man : First example I can think of of a MAJOR commercial, merchandising, and cultural phenomenon.

2) Super Mario Bros. (NES) : Redefined the role of the console game into something more than a quick 30 second jaunt. Redefined platformer genre.

3) Dragon's Lair : Revolutionary use of new technology for the purposes of gaming.

4) Doom : An early example of outrage caused by video game violence, and would set the stage for violent 3-D shooters after that.

5) E.T. (Atari 2600): Showed that a commercial tie-in doesn’t always guarantee success. Notorious for it’s complete and total failure.

6) Pong : Just for historical purposes, really.

7) Final Fantasy 7 : Redefined the RPG on the console forever.

8) Zork : Example of early RPG and immersive game play. Set the stage for story-driven gameplay.

9) Myst : First example of near photo realistic graphics in a game. Set the stage for all game graphics after that.

10) Tetris: Pioneer of puzzle/block games. However, also a good example of a game being released WITH a console that was arguably one of the best titles for it.

quzar
July 14th, 2006, 11:36
I think some list should have shenmue in it due to the fact that it was the first "blockbuster budget" videogame.

eLAy12
July 14th, 2006, 19:36
Goldeneye should be #2 it basically revolutionized the multiplayer world!

ACID
July 14th, 2006, 20:13
OK tron fan i can say you hit it right on the button bi saying what they all ment in there respective times. Even though i still hate FF games i agree with your order.

JKKDARK
July 14th, 2006, 23:59
I think some list should have shenmue in it due to the fact that it was the first "blockbuster budget" videogame.
I have this one in my list ;)

donne
July 20th, 2006, 07:26
This is my 10 list on most important Video games :

Tetris
Street Fighter II
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fight
Super Mario Bros
Pokemon
Doom
Resident Evil
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing

GeEkPiE
July 20th, 2006, 15:47
The Legend Of Zelda - Ocarina Of Time

was the best game ever and always will be.

JKKDARK
July 21st, 2006, 21:23
The Legend Of Zelda - Ocarina Of Time

was the best game ever and always will be.
Only for your and some people...