PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth buying or bidding for? Pentium D 930 and ESC motherboard.

MrTeressaBond
July 4th, 2006, 02:04
Is this worth buying or bidding for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250002159651&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

the specsof the motherboard are exceptional! and the CPU tends to be my favoutite as i choose this one in particular because it is 95W and at a decent clockspeed.

and for those who still think its a no no for the CPU, check this site out:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-d-920-930_3.html

from their on, thats what i intend to do, even though i am very new to it.

thus, i am planning to use a faster fan cooler, if i am correct, the faster the fan is, the cooler the CPU will, making it run faster? or something like that? that was my theory, but can anyone tell me if this is a yes yes or a no no.

thanks very much, i will greatly appreciate it.

matthewmcg
July 6th, 2006, 13:17
avoid intel at all costs, ignore the clock speeds the performance is aweful. wither your on a tight budget or youve got a big amount AMD is always the best. with amd cpus and amd motherboards now you really do get great value. for example if you were to buy the cheapest 939 board. it still has all your favourite technologies and much more. a socket 939 AMD athlon 64 3000 is single core, high performance and can be clocked from 2.0 to 2.8-3.0 with decent cooling

matthewmcg
July 6th, 2006, 13:19
i also advise you do some homework on computers before posting on a dreamcast forum

semicolo
July 8th, 2006, 13:31
well the latests intel core duo beat athlons, don't believe those saying "intel is crap" search for reviews of the hardware you intend to buy.

RedKing14CA
July 8th, 2006, 15:29
for a 2.66 GHz Pentium D 805 it is 120$, and can be easily OC'd to 3.5GHz and with good cooling can be overclocked to 4GHz!!!

and it's dual cored...

Intel is better for budget, while AMD is better for performance, and temperature...

not one is completely better than the other...

i have a 3GHz Celeron, beause it was very cheap, it works great...

edit: and yes, great deal, that mother board is probably worth 150$ alone... as i paid 45$ for one similar (mine was not SLI, and only had ON DMA slot) and it was 100$ at stores... and that 3GHz CPu is probably worth 150$ too, or maybe more...

MrTeressaBond
July 12th, 2006, 13:13
well the reason i chose the 930, is because its in the 900 series, thus havnig better techno logy than the 800 series, and is the only CPU to have a high clockspeed and at a low Watts usage.

and according to this site:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-d-920-930_3.html

read from there and forth, it can be overclocked to 4Ghz wit a cooling fan! and was comparing it to the latest AMD processors.

Crimson_Lotus
July 12th, 2006, 18:13
Good choice I guess, Intel's clockspeed is realistic, but they work differant than amds.

Intel's newer chips use a technology called Netburst, which uses either 20 or 31 pipeline stages. This means that a single thing, such as "Add A to B and store the results in A" is broken down into 20 or 31 separate stages. The same workload on any AMD64 chip (Athlon 64 or Opteron) takes 12 stages. This means that in order for an Intel processor to add A to B and store the result in A, it has to do 20 or 31 things. For AMD to complete the same workload, the processor only has to do 12 things.

This is why an AMD chip operating at 2.8GHz processes data faster than an Intel chip running at 4.0GHz. Even though the Intel chip is going faster in MHz, it is doing less work per clock cycle. This results in more clock cycles being required to produce the same results, and therefore its net output is something less than the MHz value alone would indicate.

MrTeressaBond
July 12th, 2006, 18:51
ahh i see.

thanks for that.

i also forgot to mention, that this Itel CPU was cheap, and probably Intel CPUs are cheaper.

but from my understanding, in tha site, the overclocked 930 processor came very very close to wat the AMD can do. so i thought it was worth buying.

plu si was informed u can over clock the cpu depending on the motherboard. will that motherboard do at all?

Crimson_Lotus
July 13th, 2006, 00:35
The CPU looks surprisingly good.

The CPU might come with an OC tool on its own. If you go to newegg.com and find the exact same processor, one of the suppliers gives OC programs.

Unfourtunately, I am unsure of manual OCing.
Some motherboards can also clock the memory to go faster, this can cause problems but ensures some faster gameplay and processing.

The motherboard looks okay, I can't quite find the exact one but I am still searching...

Crimson_Lotus
July 13th, 2006, 17:05
For the motherboard, it has about everything you could dream on it. RAM would come in 240 pin DDR2 I believe, if you are getting more memory.

I do not believe this board offers Sli support(two nvidia videocards) or perhaps even Crossfire support(two ATI cards).

The processor and motherboard should be golden together, all you need to do is make sure your case is big enough for it.. ATX compatible (the size of your mother board) are the most common case around.

the only downer is the dual video card support, but I will search up for more compatible Mobos if you want me to. I would definetly suggest getting a sli ready Mobo for future upgrades...

Crimson_Lotus
July 13th, 2006, 17:10
This is a rather common Mobo with the Intel gamers. It is uncostly(most mobos are) and has sli support up the ying yang. Overheating issues can occur so I suggest a pretty good fan in there. A high powersupply might help too, especially if you are going for Sli. The processor will work with it also.
It takes DDR2 240 pin. If you use it, do not put over 2gb-2.5gb of ram in it. Windows XP only supports about 2.7 most the time because of its limitations. If you plan on using a Windows 64bit OS then you are alright because the memory limitation is removed. Unfrourtunately the 64bit Windows OS has some compatibility issues with certain games.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131578

edit:

Here is your processor, it is a very good one for the price. This will definitely run all your lovely games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116238

As for videocard, if you want some help with that I can always suggest a few that would be cheap but reliable and fast fast fast.