PDA

View Full Version : PSP Browser questions...is it a good browser?

isamu
July 5th, 2006, 12:00
Hello. I was wondering, can anyone give me impressions of the PSP web browser? I would like to know how functional it is and whether or not browsing on it is a pain in the butt or is pretty user friendly.

Most of all, can you transfer HTML files from your PC to either the memory stick or perhaps Datel's 4BG hard drive, and view them in the PSP browser for offline browsing?

Lastly, if you had to choose between the two, which browser do you feel is better between the PSP Browser and the Opera mini broswer for the Nintendo DS?

isamu
July 5th, 2006, 12:25
By the way, does the PSP browser support tabbed browsing? How about session saver?

Also, I hear that Opera for the DS will allow you zoom in on the page you're browsing and scroll either horizontally or vertically. Can the PS browser do this as well?

isamu
July 5th, 2006, 12:28
O.K. I just discovered there's another web browser for psp called Links2. How does this browser compare to the official one?

What advantages/disadvantages does it offer and vice versa?

Can you surf offline html files with it?

b8a
July 5th, 2006, 12:32
It works, it's pretty handy, but it's not great.

It lacks some pretty serious standard functions (css overflow and clipping, as well as javascript innerHTML and other functions for dynamically switching page content), but it gets the job done when it comes to basic browsing and bare-bones pages.

I haven't used it extensively, so for me it's still a pain in the rear to use, but I do get the feeling that once you get used to it, it won't be any big deal.

Yes, you can store pages on your PSP and view them offline. No problem there.

However, you should be aware that it's pretty slow. More like, massively slow. If you're trying to load a page with a lot of images, or large images, it'll take considerably longer than it would on a PC.

I've never used the DS browser, so I can't give you a comparison there. I thought that it had just recently been announced and wasn't even available yet.

EDIT: Yes, the PSP supports tabbed browsing. I think you get a maximum of three tabs at a time. I have no idea what session saver is.

No, you can't zoom in on a page (to my knowledge).

Links 2 is a barebones browser. It doesn't support a lot of the functions that newer browsers do, but from what I've heard, it does zip along a bit faster. Haven't actually used it though.

EDIT2: I see you've been posting in a lot of near-dead threads about other browsing sollutions. The Sony default browser is the most mature and advanced of all of the web page browsing sollutions on the PSP. You can run it on 1.50 systems now, so no matter what PSP you get, you're guaranteed to be able to use it. Try it out. My bet is that it'll do what you're looking for, but if it doesn't, then test all of the others.

isamu
July 5th, 2006, 12:51
thanks man I appreciate it :)