PDA

View Full Version : Got a Pandora Battery, but now slightly confused...

Elle_Pop
January 12th, 2010, 20:38
Hey everyone.

This is my first time doing something like this so, understandably, I need a bit of help and guidance ^^; So I appreciate anyone who can take the time to lend a hand.

My PSP is a fat PSP 1000 with firmware 3.93

I didn't have access to a homebrew PSP so I ordered a Pandora Battery on the internet. It arrived today and now I'm completely bamboozled as to what to do next. I basically just want to downgrade my PSP so I can run homebrew stuff like SNES/GBA emulators and the like. I've seen guides for making Pandoras and stuff, but they just further confused me ^^;; I just want to know what to do if I already have a Pandora but no MMS.

Now, I have a 4GB PRODuo memory stick. From what I've gathered, I need to turn this into a Magic Memory stick - I really have no idea how to do this. And I'm wondering - will it still be able to hold music and videos and the like? I know I'll have to switch back to my Reg battery to run them, but I just want to make sure - an MMS can do everything a regular stick can, right? And apparenty it needs to be formatted - is there anyway to back up game saves?

And also, I've heard that newer UMDs cannot be played on downgraded firmware. Is there anyway around this? Because I really don't want to back up my UMDs and put them on my memstick as it probablly takes up a lot of space, no? And I'm always tight for space when it comes to music (my PSP is my main music listening device).

So Basically, I have a PSP1000, a ProDuo MemStick, a regular battery, and a pandora battery, I want to downgrade so I can use homebrew emulators, but I just have no idea what to do with it all from here.

Sorry if this seems a bit redundant. I'm just totally lost here. ><;;

Thank you! :3 Seriously, any help is appreciated.

- Elle

gotmilk0112
January 12th, 2010, 21:20
No, making a Magic Memory Stick does NOT format it. From what I understood, all it really does is make a few data files for un-bricking a PSP, using the Pandora battery. I updated from 3.40 OE-A to 5.00 M33 using Pandora and MMS, and I didn't need to format my memory stick.

You're much better off using custom firmware, than downgrading. You get new features and stuff, along with being able to use homebrew.

No, newer UMDs cannot be played on lower firmwares, as far as I know. That's why you update to a custom firmware, which CAN play newer UMDs. (Just about all UMDs have Firmware requirements, to play them.)

I followed a couple guides on how to create a Pandora Battery and MMS to update to 5.00 M33, but I can't seem to find them again =/

Elle_Pop
January 12th, 2010, 21:34
Thanks for the reply!

Now I'm wondering how exactly to go about getting custom firmware. Is the MMS necessary for that, then? Or is it just for unbricking? And it will still be able to hold and play music, right? ^^;

I already have the Pandora Battery, so I'm not sure what to do from here...

gotmilk0112
January 12th, 2010, 22:16
The MMS is necessary for unbricking, and I think for updating to 5.00 M33.

Yes, it will still do everything a regular PSP can. :P

I found the guide I used, as well:

http://forums.qj.net/guides-psp-hacks-homebrew-emulators/162702-guide-ultimate-cfw-installation-guide.html

Down at the bottom of the post is a guide telling the steps to make a MMS, and the programs you need to do it. However, you need custom firmware to do it. And seeing as you have 3.93, Official I'm guessing, you'd have to ask around how to downgrade or get a Custom firmware, seeing as I've got no clue how to downgrade something above 2.6 =P

Elle_Pop
January 12th, 2010, 22:26
I was under the impression that the Pandora Battery was able to downgrade any firmware.. is that not true? Like, I thought that now that I have the Pandora Battery I should be able to make the MMS regardless of my firmware.

Sooo confusing XD But many thanks for your patience! :)

Elle_Pop
January 13th, 2010, 04:39
Hmm, anybody willing to help...?

FNQer
January 13th, 2010, 14:31
in the post above, you were given a link to all the relevant guides - and the part that is of particular interest to you is the section titled:

For PSP Fat/slim (Not Ta-88 v3! & PSP 3000) Users Who Are Under 5.03

since your ofw is 3.93 and it is a phat - you meet the requirement of the ofw > 5.03.

then to install cfw...

1. update ofw to 5.03
2. run chickHEN exploit
3. Hellcat's Recovery Flasher or alternatively MHUspeed.

you don't need a pb and mms to install cfw with this method. the pb and the mms is handy to repair/recover from bricked (semi-bricked included) situation - which is the risk of trying to install cfw...

NoQuarter
January 13th, 2010, 17:24
Yeah, but you have to run chickhen everytime you fully power off. Use chickhen to run an app to make your MMS and then install cfw with your pandora and MMS.

Might I suggest Psptool and xgen converter. Using a pandora to install cfw is better in my opinion...

Elle_Pop
January 13th, 2010, 18:54
Thank you guys sooo much <33

Which way would you recommend that's the safest and has the lowest chance of bricking? I'm just really paranoid because, as I said before, it's mainly what I use for listening to music and I'd die without it XD

gotmilk0112
January 13th, 2010, 20:15
Well, really, the only things that make your psp brick is if something goes wrong while a program is changing files in the flash memory. "Something" meaning the PSP loses power, or you take the memory stick out, anything that interrupts the flashing process.

If you have Pandora Battery and MMS, you're pretty much brick-proof, though.

FNQer
January 14th, 2010, 00:32
Yeah, but you have to run chickhen everytime you fully power off. Use chickhen to run an app to make your MMS and then install cfw with your pandora and MMS.

Might I suggest Psptool and xgen converter. Using a pandora to install cfw is better in my opinion...

no you don't. the op has a phat. it will run full cfw - i have living proof in my phat running 5.00m33-6 without ever needing to run chickHEN again, unless i am upgrading/downgrading/repairing.

you only have to run chickHEN each time, if you have a psp which cannot run full cfw but can run homebrew enabler.

why is it better to install cfw by using pb? it is handy to know how to do it - but the chickHEN and HC Recovery Flasher is a method to install cfw without using pb and mms.

if you brick (semi-brick) your psp, you should be able to recover/repair using the pb and mms.

I have personally followed that link - section on hacking phats with ofw less than 5.03 - in hacking both my phat and slim - within 15 minutes of downloading the necessary files (ofw, cfw and hellcat, chickHEN, etc), I had cfw onto my psp. simple, straight forward...

but there are always risks to hacking, overclocking, modding... the disclaimer is there because there are things that could go wrong but if you take the necessary precautions, make the right preparation including plans for recovery in the worst case scenario, follow the instructions then you should be fine.