PDA

View Full Version : GD Rom dead?

BlackSpy
July 6th, 2006, 21:41
I recently made the inveitably voltage mistake on my Japanese DC by plugging it in with my UK lead.

I got a new power board, but ever since the GD ROM seems to be dead. It boots to the screen you get when you boot without a disk in the drive, so the whole thing wasn't killed by it or anything. It does take a long time to get there though, and it makes some very odd noises as sound output while it has the splash screen up, and not the usual boot sound at all.

The new power board is meant to be 110v or 220v, I'm using 110v, is it possible there isn't enough power for it or something, I don't want to try rashly in case I kill it again.

Any thoughts?

BlackSpy
July 8th, 2006, 08:49
I've tried a Euro lead on it now, same thing. The power supply auto switches to accept the higher rated power supply but it doesn't change a thing.

Christuserloeser
July 8th, 2006, 09:41
Your DC is dead and there's not much that can be done against it.

Using 220V with a 110V machine will cause damage to your DC's main board and likely your GDROM drive too.

(To use an American or Japanese DC with 220V you would have needed a step-down converter that usually goes for 10 Euro at ebay.)

I'm sorry for the bad news.

What you could do is buying a cheap DC at ebay and try your current GDROM drive with it to see if it's actually damaged too. You might have luck and it's still working. If so, I would keep that drive as a replacement - seeing as Dreamcast GDROM drives tend to wear out after a few years of use, it's not bad at all to have a replacement at hand :)

EDIT: Reading your post again... What is the exact value your new power board needs? 220V or 110V ?

BlackSpy
July 8th, 2006, 23:34
I've taken the power board out again and refitted it, in case a pin wasn't making good contact or something, and it's started spinning the drive now, but I don't think at anything like full speed.

I have my UK DC , the drive in it works fine, but I'm not sure I really want to start butchering it to test the Japanese one.

The new power board is apparently a universal one, it auto switches between the two voltages - seems to work too as I have now tried both voltages on it which seems to make no difference at all to the workings of the thing.

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=dreamcast-universal-power-supply

That's the fellow above (good shop that by the way, great packing).

----------------

I suspect I'm just going to have to shell out for another Japanese machine. It's not a big deal really, I just get fed up disk swapping to play imports on my UK machine.

Do you know of anyone selling the refurbished ones except Play Asia? And thanks for taking the time to reply.

Elven6
July 9th, 2006, 07:16
Of course you can spend money trying to revive your console. Or you can get a bundle from sega-parts.com (Not sure of the exact url).