PDA

View Full Version : What can it do?

eclectic
January 17th, 2010, 16:18
First off, hi all o/

So, I got kinda lucky with my PS3.

Long story short, a dude I work with came in one day complaining his sons PS3 was scratching disc's. He knows I "tinker" with 360's and I also build/repair PC's as a side line.

I told him I'd take a look at it if he liked and we left it at that. Next day I went round to the bonfire (it was'nt lit) to throw some rubbish on. And there was a PS3 sitting right there!

I popped it in the van, and went round to see my mate, and he said his wife had poured a can of coke through the vent holes in an attempt to go for an insurance job, which he talked her out of, and they went out and simply bought him a new PS3.

So I asked him if I could have it, he laughed, said its ****ed now, and of course I could have it.

Took it apart, mopped up some still wet coke and left it to dry. Then I turned it on and it worked, wouldnt take a disc as the mech was sticky with the now dry coke. I took the drive apart and washed the plastic parts in warm soapy water, put it back together and it now takes blu-ray discs but it freezes shortly after playing it.

So it became my new media center using PS3MS. For this job it works flawless - playing back 1080p media flawlessly. So the system it's self is just fine.

I could of course replace the drive with a unit from flea bay, but Im not sure I want to, just yet atleast. Through fear it will give up the ghost due to the coke abuse!

So, after all that, what else can I do with it? Is there anyway I can get games to run off the HDD? Or anything else that will make the sexy black box play games without a drive?

EDIT: I downloaded Darkvoid demo off PSN and the screen goes black when I try play it. So I guess its not as healthy as I thought. I doubt its overheating either as the game doesnt even start.

Is this a known thing that maybe Im doing wrong?

VampDude
January 17th, 2010, 19:30
Running games from the HDD if not purchased from the PlayStation Store is piracy, which quite luckily cannot be done.

Your best bet would be to buy the new parts, or even a new console.