PDA

View Full Version : PSPVBA: GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP v1.0.6 (minor update)

zx-81
July 8th, 2006, 23:05
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspvba-snap-6.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a minor update of PSPVBA the GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP.

*** The goal is more to inaugurate this new forum than to provide a real new release full speed and with many new features ;) ***

What's new in version 1.0.6 :

- Add screen resize option (Ymin/Ymax) to reduce the size of the screen and then speed up the emulation.
This can be usefull in car games such as V-rally 3, when we don't care to see the sky or not :D.
It's simple but we can hope to win up to 5% on CPU speed.

- Press Start+Select to return to the emulator menu (whatever the key mapping you have set).
This feature is to overcome the issue some of you encountered, when they couldn't go back in the emulator
menu because the key they had assigned to the menu didn't respond :(.

- (re) Add the save battery feature (already available in the original VBA source code), but i haven't tested it so far ;).

How to use it ?

Have a look to the README.txt file !

Two binary versions (for 2.x and 1.5 FW) and sources are included in the zip archive.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :D

Zx.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

salomon st
July 8th, 2006, 23:07
awsome so what is the fps on this thing now
?

ssjsaiyan
July 8th, 2006, 23:07
Great work on your releases this is getting better and better...downloading.

SmashinGit
July 8th, 2006, 23:12
Thanks zx-81, joining dcemu network certainly has had a positive affect on you.

D0N
July 8th, 2006, 23:18
What can i say...Im speechless..You ARE the ultimate porting machine! Keep it up zx-81 and thank you for this great emulator.

ArchAngel
July 8th, 2006, 23:23
Awesome man, keep up the great work! I've been wanting to Play GBA on a handheld since I owned one, and gave it to my little cousin lol.

sroon
July 8th, 2006, 23:24
GrrrrrEAT thinking ZX!!

luis_05
July 8th, 2006, 23:29
dammit ZX-81 do u ever sleep? lol, well man thanks a lot im downloading as we speak, ill post back comments! u are a PSP legend!!

Update:

Mario Super Kart:
is very playable but mario keeps dissapearing :-(

Spiderman: Mysterio's Menace:
Many ppl will tolerate!!

Thanks ZX-81, any update is appreciated!! you rock!!

WarpOn
July 9th, 2006, 00:06
Thanks a lot, you're the best!!

Soon I will play castlevania circle of the moon on my psp!
Thanks for all dude, I love you!

daren
July 9th, 2006, 00:09
awsome Great work

jimmi
July 9th, 2006, 00:14
the more updates the better dude keep it up!

Voltron
July 9th, 2006, 00:18
Awesome. I just finished testing 1.03 and already its at 1.06. zx-81 just keeps hammering away at this.

I dedicate the song "Perseverance" by Hatebreed to you zx-81. Talk about determination...

awsome so what is the fps on this thing now
?

I don't think there is a "set" fps amount for games. I think all games are different and have different results with various config tweaks. So what if its not perfect speed. Its fun seeing this project grow and grow.

Dementia7
July 9th, 2006, 01:08
I got Pokemon Emerald running at 30 FPS/ 95 - 100% using the screen resizer, only downer, i had to make the screen so skinny, it was almost a stick. haha, STILL AWSOME THOUGH. each update is more impressive than the last. keep up the great work.

zx-81
July 9th, 2006, 01:36
I got Pokemon Emerald running at 30 FPS/ 95 - 100% using the screen resizer, only downer, i had to make the screen so skinny, it was almost a stick. haha, STILL AWSOME THOUGH. each update is more impressive than the last. keep up the great work.

Loool ! But now you can say : "I've played Pokemon Emerald running at 30 FPS/100%" on a PSP :D :D :D

Kvonx
July 9th, 2006, 02:20
Awesome job zx..................u keep dem comin, dats wat we like thid screen resizer is a smart move ;)

pkmaximum
July 9th, 2006, 02:26
wow this is great I can't wait to see were this emulator ends up too, we can only hope that soon most games will run at 100% speed at full screen on the PSP. With great sound support. By the way ZX-81 I know you mentioned you may do this but in your next release do you think you may acess the media engine of the PSP for greater sound quality?

not here anymore
July 9th, 2006, 02:29
Can't wait for this emu to use kernel mode.
later,

TSR

Exoskeletor
July 9th, 2006, 02:33
Friend on the swap analog/cursor can you add a new option "both" so both of them will work at the same time? (Every time you release i have a suggestion :) )

kayoken
July 9th, 2006, 02:39
you rock man i needed this

Kvonx
July 9th, 2006, 02:43
luv how u keep dem comin...............but it makes me wonder watevr happend to daedalus an monkey did they quit:(

Dementia7
July 9th, 2006, 03:29
Loool ! But now you can say : "I've played Pokemon Emerald running at 30 FPS/100%" on a PSP :D :D :D

HAHA, Indeed I can man.
:D

Squidman
July 9th, 2006, 03:38
Metroid Zero Mission is still unplayable.......the screen freezes on samus's face in the begginning.......Pokemon is a little more playable than last time, the sound still scares me though....

Dementia7
July 9th, 2006, 03:43
heres a pic if anyone cares :eek:

Cap'n 1time
July 9th, 2006, 04:17

haha.

ACID
July 9th, 2006, 05:07
Ones again great work thats awesome.

Dementia7
July 9th, 2006, 06:34
yea, this Emu is great to test. ive never had so much fun with a non finished emu. it doesn't even run at full speed and i can't wait to download the next update.

Pumped'Up
July 9th, 2006, 07:44
thanks zx-81 :)

s075933
July 9th, 2006, 07:59
Hi. Can someone tell me what setting they used for pokemon emerald to run at 30fps/100% as i am really keen on playing it on psp.

Help would be appreciated

DrNicket
July 9th, 2006, 07:59
Zx-81 is one of the most dedicated (or perhaps 'motivated' is the best word) coders in the PSP community. I hope the rest of them see him as a boost to their morale rather than a hinderance.

Viva la PSP Revolution!

siulmagic
July 9th, 2006, 08:58
well to thos castlevania fans
iv got castle vania harmony of disonance and its very playable here are the settings to me this is perfect as i got almost 50% completed of the game and im level 17
sound enable yes
skip frame 3
turbo mode 0
render mode max scanlines(some text hard to read but its ok)
click frequency 333 of course=P
ARm tick 4
thas about it i get like 112 to 100 cpu time

siulmagic
July 9th, 2006, 09:11
will post a screen shot with the screen reduction feture gave me like 10% more cpu very nice

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9240/screenshot16hk1.png (http://imageshack.us)

zx-81
July 9th, 2006, 10:05

http://zx81.dcemu.co.uk/images/smilies/w103.gif

dengel
July 9th, 2006, 10:08
Great work

siulmagic
July 9th, 2006, 10:13
ok another speed improvement manage to get 140 cpu time the screen shot says 126% cus it flutiats but i did manage to get that speed will post setting now
same as before but the screen size is
screen ymin 30
screen ymax 155

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3448/screenshot05lf.png (http://imageshack.us)

siulmagic
July 9th, 2006, 10:16
btw great release zx 81 you rock

felonyr301
July 9th, 2006, 10:26
lol lets see how low can i get mega man zero 3 to work enough to be 30 frames lol.

Exoskeletor
July 9th, 2006, 10:33
ZX where is the battery indicator? i cant find it

zx-81
July 9th, 2006, 10:47
ZX where is the battery indicator? i cant find it

There is no battery indicator :o ... I can add it :)

siulmagic
July 9th, 2006, 10:48
he probly means the game saving of the game

jak66
July 9th, 2006, 11:04
yet more great work zx
lets hope remix has a better opinion on this version when he gets off his ban

Exoskeletor
July 9th, 2006, 11:08
There is no battery indicator :o ... I can add it :)

Please if you want :)

Uruz 6
July 9th, 2006, 11:37
Battery indicator? if you decide to insert it make it a % indicator, not just a battery image. By the way..
GREAT WORK!!!!!!

Dementia7
July 9th, 2006, 11:58
http://zx81.dcemu.co.uk/images/smilies/w103.gif

I thought so too:D

zx-81
July 9th, 2006, 14:43
Battery indicator? if you decide to insert it make it a % indicator, not just a battery image. By the way..
GREAT WORK!!!!!!

What i've done for now, is to display a % indicator in the emulator menu, and also when the battery is less than 5% and you're playing a game, it will go automatically in the emulator menu and show you the battery in red ...

It will be available in next release,

:)

ACID
July 9th, 2006, 15:19
awsome work. viva la France

slayer2psp
July 9th, 2006, 16:23
its still way to slow to be playable. i tried max payne, gta ,racing gears and kelly slater surfing all of these games set a 333mhz no sound and 2 fps skip still could only get 5-6 fps on all of these games. not very playable yet maybe someday

WarpOn
July 9th, 2006, 16:44
its still way to slow to be playable. i tried max payne, gta ,racing gears and kelly slater surfing all of these games set a 333mhz no sound and 2 fps skip still could only get 5-6 fps on all of these games. not very playable yet maybe someday

Maybe someday? Try with Golden Sun and see, it get 10 fps! At least this game is playable at 70-80% of full speed.

With Zx-81 maybe tomorrow! :D :D :D

Thanks for update always quickly!

(Sorry for my english)

Mr. Shizzy
July 9th, 2006, 16:46
Awesome thank you. I've been checking back several times a day just to see if you've released any updates.
It is always a pleasant surprise. Zx - thanks man!!!
You are a coding GOD !!!

ACID
July 9th, 2006, 18:03
ZX what next maybe you can tackle the neo geo pocket. How nice it is to dream. If any one can you can.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 9th, 2006, 18:19
nice work keep it up.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 9th, 2006, 19:02
Maybe someday? Try with Golden Sun and see, it get 10 fps! At least this game is playable at 70-80% of full speed.

With Zx-81 maybe tomorrow! :D :D :D

Thanks for update always quickly!

(Sorry for my english)
i play golden sun as well, isn't it wicked
ZX-81 you are just the best:D :D :D :D :D

Briggzy11
July 10th, 2006, 00:23
Yeh you have done great on the Advance ZX-81 i am glad that you have been able to release this. apologises for france in the world cup they deserved to win :D

zx-81
July 10th, 2006, 01:04
Yeh you have done great on the Advance ZX-81 i am glad that you have been able to release this. apologises for france in the world cup they deserved to win :D

lol thanks ! :D

Voltron
July 10th, 2006, 02:01

I suspect games like Advance Wars & some slower paced games work better with this EMU. The games you mentioned I bet are pretty advanced and make emulation slower. Its nice to read that Golden Sun is becoming playable. That is one of my favorite games on the GBA.

gunntims0103
July 10th, 2006, 04:56
great work

vettacossx
July 10th, 2006, 19:30
kingdom hearts chain of memorys worked last release well i shouldnt say worked ....but it loaded the rom!!!!AND I EVEN GOT SOME SOUND!!!!....BUT THE SCREEN WAS ALL WHITE :( SO IM OFF TO TRY IT ON THIS RELEASE!!!

Q-I REMEMBER PLAYING THE PC VERSION VBA... and finding out that there is a SPECIFIC version ...( an older one even not the latest version) that was more compatable for certain roms....as a matter of fact i ran into the same problem with DBZ:buu's fury in the newest vba for PC so i googled to see why dbz buus fury plays fine but when you get to grand kais castle the emulator promts .....THIS GAME WILL NOT OPERATE ON THIS HARDWARE....the psp version im guessing was ported from the latest version of vba so my QUESTION is THIS.....is it possible that using that older more compatable version.... SOME roms MIGHT work better OTHER THAN the DBZ BUUS FURY....LIKE KINGDOM HEARTS???just curious:confused:

AND i have noticed a lil gfx issue in the last 2 releases it seems like theres a layer that toggles on and off or just dont work....whats strange is that in your vs1.04 the gfx are a bit better as far as the layer issue is concerned ( for example when playing mario kart or when a screen in mario pinball fades out or fades in it will EXclude the black layer that is noprmally pressent...

all in all this is a very impressive job porting this TREAT of a emulaytor to the sony psp ;)

DO YOU THINK ITS POSSIBLE TO PORT A CPS1/CPS2 emu to the psp??? MARVEL VS CAPCOM AND SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER IN HANDHELD!!!:D OMG!!!!!

disturbed19
July 11th, 2006, 00:01
hey vettacossx thats excactly wat ive been thinkin,
and u were right about it not workin on the lastest VBA emulator, those games u mention only run on VBA v1.1 for pc......i was wonderin if zx-81 could take a code from VBA v1.1 and put it in his emulator maybe that could fix the problem..........would that even be possible zx-81?

acn010
July 11th, 2006, 09:33
crap, i need the gta game for me 2.00

russakagame
July 11th, 2006, 10:15
Hey guys im new to all this I downloaded the files put them in my game directory and downloaded the gta thing and it keeps coming up currupt files. im on version 2.50 someone plz help

infernomax
July 11th, 2006, 10:58
Can anyone reccomend to me some good running games to get to play with this EMU ?

ACID
July 11th, 2006, 11:09
Legend of Mana
Final Fantasy IV
Pokemon Red & Emeral

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 02:38
kingdom hearts chain of memorys worked last release well i shouldnt say worked ....but it loaded the rom!!!!AND I EVEN GOT SOME SOUND!!!!....BUT THE SCREEN WAS ALL WHITE :( SO IM OFF TO TRY IT ON THIS RELEASE!!!

Vettacossx, it's very very hard to read you (your typography is awful. You don't write for you, but for others ;) ) ...

Back to your problem, this is seems to be a bug of VBA :confused: (does it work with the linux / Windows version ?).

Q-I REMEMBER PLAYING THE PC VERSION VBA... and finding out that there is a SPECIFIC version ...( an older one even not the latest version) that was more compatable for certain roms....as a matter of fact i ran into the same problem with DBZ:buu's fury in the newest vba for PC so i googled to see why dbz buus fury plays fine but when you get to grand kais castle the emulator promts .....THIS GAME WILL NOT OPERATE ON THIS HARDWARE....the psp version im guessing was ported from the latest version of vba so my QUESTION is THIS.....is it possible that using that older more compatable version.... SOME roms MIGHT work better OTHER THAN the DBZ BUUS FURY....LIKE KINGDOM HEARTS???just curious:confused:

Yes, this should be possible, but it takes a lot of time to compare the two versions, and i've modified a lot of things in VBA :( ...

AND i have noticed a lil gfx issue in the last 2 releases it seems like theres a layer that toggles on and off or just dont work....whats strange is that in your vs1.04 the gfx are a bit better as far as the layer issue is concerned ( for example when playing mario kart or when a screen in mario pinball fades out or fades in it will EXclude the black layer that is noprmally pressent...

ok good to know.

all in all this is a very impressive job porting this TREAT of a emulaytor to the sony psp ;)

DO YOU THINK ITS POSSIBLE TO PORT A CPS1/CPS2 emu to the psp??? MARVEL VS CAPCOM AND SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER IN HANDHELD!!!:D OMG!!!!!

If an emulator already exists, it should take few days to port this on PSP ;) ..