PDA

View Full Version : Power Switch MOD Assistance Needed

mugglesby
January 26th, 2010, 02:38
Greets, fellow DC-ers.

The power switch on my DC is knackered. On disassembly and investigation, it appears something inside the switch is truly broken. As well, the stem that leads to the power button on the cover is also broken (see attached picture)

I would like to de-solder the switch it and replace it, however I need some advice of those who have gone before . . . DC mod-masters, I am looking for your help . . .

What switch would make an appropriate replacement?

What are the correct ratings/specs that make it the "right" switch?

How would it correctly be done? For example, should the blue capacitor be re-soldered to the NEW switch?

Does anyone still sell DC parts? I found this fellow - - http://www.eparts4u.com/product/DC.htm - - and fired off an email, but who knows. It's the internet, after all.

I greatly appreciate ANY help!! I will take pictures of the repair job as it progresses and post it back up. I couldn't find any FAQs, links, or threads about replacing the power switch, so I would like to give a little back to the DC community that has given me so much!

-muggs

mugglesby
January 30th, 2010, 14:38
Looks like I answered the question myself! I will post the information here for anyone who is searching for a solution themselves.

The SHORT answer - -

go to eBay, search for "broken Dreamcast," pay $9.99 in a BuyItNow Auction + $4.99 shipping, and when it arrives, unclip the switch from the power supply module and just swap it with yours! (See attached picture)

The LONG answer - -

The switch is a "Single Pole Single Throw" ("SPST") push switch, rated to 4 Amps at 250 VAC.

A switch equivalent or better than that can be found at a good electronics parts distributor. I found mine online at ElectronicGoldmine (see attached picture).

The blue capacitor attached to the switch is a ceramic type, and is used here as a "ripple filter" on the power supply, which basically cleans up and smooths out the current.

The capacitor is a "kh222m," and searches online for that will reveal discussions and ordering opportunities. Likely you can re-use the one from your broken switch, however, when you go to solder it on.

My switch is on order from ElectronicGoldmine, as well as some parts to solder together an easily replaceable holder for the the rechargeable lithium battery (only have to do it once every 10 years or so, but it woudl be great to have it be easy!).

I will post back the conclusion at a later date.

-muggs