PDA

View Full Version : New supercard lite doesn't work? PLease tell me I'm just doing something stupid

mikedpw0
January 26th, 2010, 03:15
I JUST got the supercard lite that I've anxiously been waiting for int he mail. I had a 4gb scandisk microSD card lying around which I formatted. I then googled "supercard lite instructions" and found a forum post somewhere which directed me to the official supercard firmware download. The instructions said to put the file onto the root of my SD card, so I did.

The next step was to put the microSD into my supercard, put that into my DSlite along with superkey, power up, and choose the firmware update from the list of programs.

The thing is, I don't get a list of programs. I just get a big "supercard" logo on the bottom screen and a mostly white screen on top (about 3/4 white on top and 1/4 black underneath.) The DS just sits like this until I turn it off. I apparently can't do anything when its in this state.

What the heck?! did I get a busted supercard or am I missing something? The ONLY thing I can find that seemed like it might have something to do with it was a review which states that the Supercard "still relies on a fat16 filesystem rather than fat32." When I formatted the card I choose fat32 - because that was the only option. Is this the problem? I would think that if it was there would be a lot of forum posts and such coming up when i do a search on google. I can't find anyone having the same problem I am so I'm freaking out a little. I'm gonna be one angry dude if I find out my supercard is a dud.

mikedpw0
January 26th, 2010, 03:44
After fiddling around I noticed some things that might be worth mentioning.

When the supercard first boots up I can see what appears to be some kind of menu or interface or something pop up on the screen for just an instant before being replaced by the blank white screen.

I tried starting up the supercard without a microSD inserted and pretty much the same thing happened except instead of a blank white screen showing up after the menu's brief appearance I got a message saying that the microSD could not be found.

This leads me to believe that either

1. As I suspected, something is wrong with the way I formatted the miroSD. The problem is after some searching I've found instructions that say to format the card exactly the way I formatted it, and that it should work with fat32. So another possibility I guess is that the supercard just doesn't play nice with my microSD card?

It's a 4gb scandisk microSDHC, if that helps. AGain, though, forums I've checked suggest that this card ought to work fine.

2. The microSD port built into my supercard is busted for whatever reason. I will cry if this is the case. And so far it seems the only plausible explanation. PLEASE somebody come tell me I'm wrong.

mikedpw0
January 26th, 2010, 22:24
To anyone who might care:

I figured out the problem. The problem is that people on internet forums sometimes think they know what they are talking about but really have no idea.

In other words, the person who said that the supercard would work with an SDHC card was dead wrong. SClite is only compatible with a regular microSD card. A noteworthy consequence of this fact is that you cannot use the supercard lite with a microSD card larger than 2 gigs because a non-SDHC card larger than this size does not exist (as far as I know).

DanTheManMS
January 30th, 2010, 10:58
Shame I don't come to DCEmu very often anymore or I could have answered you in a heartbeat. Yeah, whoever said the slot-2 Supercards had SDHC support should be shot. The limit is 2 GB, which should be formatted as FAT16.

On the plus side, at least we know for sure that you're booting in DS mode. I can't tell you how many people have bought slot-2 Supercards without some sort of slot-1 NoPass (or FlashMe installed) and are then shocked when they can't run DS games/apps. Bonus points if they got a Supercard Rumble and thus can't even run GBA games, leaving them with a 100% useless cart.