PDA

View Full Version : N64 Emulator???

BobBobson108
July 13th, 2006, 05:53
:confused: Is there an n64 emu for the DS anywhere? If so, where can find one? If not, what needs to be done? I'm new on the modding (but really amped about the possibilities) so forgive me if I've asked some questions that seem ignorant (for the time being, they are).

~ Thanks in advance,
Bob "The Awesome" Bobson

The Hombrew Hunter
July 13th, 2006, 05:54
No. I've asked. And got assish replies from damn PSP owners.

It's impossible anyway.

Junixx
July 13th, 2006, 07:25
Yea, there are none, i dont think anyone has even tried, or ever will, the DS just isnt powerful enough :(

badam
July 13th, 2006, 07:35
To me the DS is a portable N64 with touchscreen, mic, & wifi. Isnt homebrews and that kind of stuff still kind of new.

Junixx
July 13th, 2006, 17:52
yes it is new, but just comparing the DS's power to the N64, there still isnt enough power for DS to emulate the N64, if i can remember correctly, it takes at least 10x the power to emulate at a playable FPS, the GBA emulated SNES at about 8x the power, but the sound was not emulated, but, if someone ever does come out with a playable N64 emulator with sound or without i will definely not complain

SSaxdude
July 13th, 2006, 22:22
I bet N64 on the PSP is possible in a while, but never on the DS.

badam
July 13th, 2006, 22:24
Dont they have a n64 emulator on psp

TheLamer
July 14th, 2006, 12:01
Not that run commercial games , but their have been plenty of fakes .

baldric1987
July 14th, 2006, 12:29
why would anyone want a psp anyway?

Loads of my mates all had one and ended up trading it in for a DS!!!

baldric1987
July 14th, 2006, 12:30
RE the N64 emulator - i dont think that there is one of the DS, i dont think that it could handle it

Ani-Monster
July 17th, 2006, 17:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HAwJpK_ky0

O RLY?

only time will tell =/

The Hombrew Hunter
July 17th, 2006, 17:48
Well, it COULD happen, but it would suck nutsack.

Still would be kinda cool.

Mazza
July 17th, 2006, 18:40
That video is completely fake.

Even for the emulator to run at that speed the DS would have to be about twice as powerful and if that was real it would be on every DS homebrew site on the internet.

Sorry but I'm going to have to call fake on that one

battleroyalex
July 17th, 2006, 23:21
That video is completely fake.

Even for the emulator to run at that speed the DS would have to be about twice as powerful and if that was real it would be on every DS homebrew site on the internet.

Sorry but I'm going to have to call fake on that one

The video is deff real unless the person who took it went to film school, you can see the backlight of the ds on the game and the camera moves. To fake that would almost be impossiable without expensive equipment. Project 64 has come out with a way to emulate games for OLD OLD OLDDDD PCS. It makes all the graphics lower and other things. It doesn't look nearly as good but on a ds sized screen it would be hard to tell. If the project 64 team were to make an emulator on the ds it could be possiable. I doubt any game would get over 20fps though.

battleroyalex
July 17th, 2006, 23:25
wow n/m im an idiot they could just record them playing it in project 64 with limit fps and then save the video and play it on the ds.

V3N0M
July 17th, 2006, 23:28
It would be nice if it was real but to tell you the truth it doesn't take a hole lot of talent to do that. Don't get me wroung it would take some time yes but i've seen many of those videos. Wouldn't be susprised if this was the work of psdonkey.

stotheamuel
July 17th, 2006, 23:58
all i can say is whoever made that video is amazing at ssbm >_<

but it is fake

Ani-Monster
July 18th, 2006, 01:02
actually, i uploaded the vid, those are my ssbm vids :P

but i just found the emu vid on google video.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 18th, 2006, 01:02
SSBM? That's Mario Kart.

Ani-Monster
July 18th, 2006, 01:06
SSBM? That's Mario Kart.

he was talking about me other vids lol

Mazza
July 18th, 2006, 12:06
It is definately a video, why do you think he never touches or shows the bottom screen? because it would show moonshell. Anyone here could do that on their DS

zac_531
July 18th, 2006, 17:42
how about a N64 emu for the DS that is toned down a bit, graphic wise, sound wise etc...
Like changing textures. Would be cool to see.

Mazza
July 18th, 2006, 17:53
how about a N64 emu for the DS that is toned down a bit, graphic wise, sound wise etc...
Like changing textures. Would be cool to see.

It would require all games to be modified for it to work like that.

battleroyalex
July 18th, 2006, 18:08
It would require all games to be modified for it to work like that.

no it wouldnt project64 the newest version you have to pay for can do that. It changes the textures to a lower res.

trebulator
July 19th, 2006, 02:28
why would anyone want a psp anyway?

Loads of my mates all had one and ended up trading it in for a DS!!!

PSP kills the DS in terms of homebrew power [and now price if you shop on ebay]... but 95% of the games for the PSP are either horrible or mediocre, while the DS has a solid lineup for games. Well anyways...

DS - Very solid game lineup, great for making innovative homebrew games, also does everything GBA... but not so great for emulation of older consoles. Very durable system.

PSP - Great for taking all of your retro classics with you and has plenty of great, but not innovative, homebrew games. Has a few killer apps and is pretty, but not at all durable.

Your friends probably weren't into homebrew and emulation... if they were they'd probably pefer the PSP. You can probably tell I've owned a PSP much longer than a DS.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 19th, 2006, 03:42
Good for you. But the DS is quickly becoming better for Retro Classics. Even sharing it with GBA.

bobtheninjaoffood
October 28th, 2007, 22:45
I think the DS could... If it had 64 mb of RAM instead of 4 mb of RAM maybe... MAYBE! the graphics don't matter: they would be scaled down... I asked my dad (computer wiz :>) and he said it could emulate n64 if it had enough RAM as the n64 (64 mb?). If you mod your ds yeah, or if they make a supercard with twice as much RAM. The only limitation would be the buttons. The ds needs three more buttons IF x and y serve as two C buttons. Once again, MAYBE

DanTheManMS
October 31st, 2007, 03:02
Was that really worth a 15-month bump?

patgan598
December 25th, 2008, 21:04
Why cant someone just TRY to run some "homebrewed" code for the n64 on the nds?

Even the simpliest code? And then get more and more advanced to check "how much of the n64 the nds can emulate"
:thumbup:

A Pure ram memory in the gba slot? - Maybe the solution.

I think the DS could... If it had 64 mb of RAM instead of 4 mb of RAM maybe... MAYBE! the graphics don't matter: they would be scaled down... I asked my dad (computer wiz :>) and he said it could emulate n64 if it had enough RAM as the n64 (64 mb?). If you mod your ds yeah, or if they make a supercard with twice as much RAM. The only limitation would be the buttons. The ds needs three more buttons IF x and y serve as two C buttons. Once again, MAYBE

Lets keep this up, shall we? - link4u_94"-at-"hotmail.com - my email/msn

Wally
December 26th, 2008, 00:04
Running an Nintendo 64 on a DS is a pipe dream because of the RAM.

N64 does have 4MB / 8MB of RAM however, its more or less going to need double the amount of that because the DS has its own OS in memory, you have to put the emulator stuff into memory and would have to be optimised for the GFX chip, touch screen, CPU and somehow etc.

Its hardly worth the effort if you ask me.