PDA

View Full Version : Review: Nyko PSP Play on TV Adapter

bandit
July 13th, 2006, 19:44
Nyko PSP Play on TV Adapter
Manufacturer: Nyko (http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=77)
Site: Buy from Divineo FR (http://www.divineo.fr/php/affstart.php?affcode=bandit&prod=psp-npot)
Price: $56.00

Overview : Watch UMD movies and play PSP games on the big screen with the Play on TV Adaptor for PSP. Patented, CCD sensor technology views the image on the PSP screen and transfers it via included RCA cables to the television. The Play on TV Adaptor easily snaps onto the front of the PSP and works instantly while still allowing access to the UMD door. No complex installation or modification of the PSP is required. The device is easy to use and provides auto image adjustment allowing for the best image possible with no input required from the user. Now it is possible to enjoy all those PSP games and movies at home on the sofa in front of the TV. The Play on TV Adaptor even recharges the PSP while in use.

Features :

Snap-on design allows you to watch UMD movies and play PSP games on TV without modifying the PSP
High quality CCD sensor and lens combination 'tuned' to the PSP screen
The only Patented PSP to TV technology
Stereo audio output directly from the PSP to the TV
Includes RCA cables for connecting to standard video-in jack on your TV
Plug and Play - does not require user tuning, tweaking or adjustments
Auto white balance, auto contrast and auto brightness
Easily access UMD slot while the unit is attached
Charge your PSP while you play

What is in the box :

Play on TV Adapter
Dust Cap
AV cables
Installation Instructions

Quality/Usability : The Nyko PSP Play on TV Adapter is a pretty solid product. As with all TV adapters for the PSP, they use a small camera and mirror to reflect the image onto the TV. Unlike the PSPonTV (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23679), the Play on TV adapter doesnt stick up and isnt close to any of the buttons on the PSP. Installing the adapter onto the PSP is fairly simple and doesnt take a genius to figure out. If you know how to hook up a VCR, a computer or just smart, you dont even need to read the instructions booklet.

The adapter clips onto the PSP at the bottom via plastic clips and is held in place via screws on top of the PSP. My complaint with this is that if you got big thick fingers, you might have a hard time trying to screw and unscrew the screw due to the back of the adapter being in the way. If you dont plan on moving the PSP or the adapter while watching of playing a movie/game, there really is no need to screw the adapter onto the PSP. Its pretty secure when its on.

Once the adapter is on, just plug the AV cable into the adapter and TV and plug the PSP AC cable into the adapter. The AC cable powers the adapter as well as charges the PSP at the same time. A nice thing about the adapter is that there is an ON/OFF switch on the side of the adapter. When the adapter is turned on, there is a blue LED light to let you know.

The adapter has two plugs on each side. One plugs into the headphone/remote jack (to transmit audio to TV) and the other into the DC port (to charge PSP).

As mentioned above, you'll be able to access all buttons on the PSP even the HOME, VOLUME, BRIGHTNESS, etc. But if you have thick fingers, you might have a hard time reaching for them.

The sound quality transmitted onto the TV is pretty good. There is no distortion or loss in quality. You may have to raise the volume either on the PSP or TV inorder to hear what is playing.

The video quality is pretty good as well. Honestly, I say its better then the PSPonTV. Colors are pretty vibrant and bright. There is some slight color washout but nothing major or drastic. I prefer to set the brightness on the PSP on medium. Low is too dark and high is just too bright on the eyes. There is no distortion or skewing of the video and it fits perfectly on the TV. Its proportional to the TV.

Conclusion : Overall, the Nyko PSP Play on TV exceeded my expectations. I was expecting horrible quality, washed out colors just like any TV adapter but Nyko proved me wrong. My only complaint is the accessibility to the screw at the bottom back of the adapter. Its a little hard to reach when you're trying to screw it onto the PSP. Also, the ability to access the front face buttons on the bottom of the PSP.

Images via comments

bah
September 1st, 2006, 14:41
The picture is the only review this 'tv adaptor' needs.
EEEK!!!

LilSwish722
September 12th, 2006, 20:24
wow...this is way too big and expensive and incredibly retarded looking

ACID
September 12th, 2006, 20:29
A i can work mi biseps with that criter. LOL

Apoklepz
September 12th, 2006, 20:42
A i can work mi biseps with that criter. LOL

:p HAHAHAHAAAAA.... That was the cracks, Acidburn05!

Is this any better than the one BLAZE made?
...I might get that one for Christmas...

I know team Exacutioners has 100% the best quality visual, and it enables play through a PS2 or PS1 controller, but it kinda turns the PSP more into a Home Console and less of what it really is, a portable...Does any one agree?

tallica
September 12th, 2006, 22:19
Yeah i agree apoklepz. The psp is for on the go gaming and videos etc, if you want to play your psp on a tv get a ps2

bandit
September 13th, 2006, 00:16
wow...this is way too big and expensive and incredibly retarded looking
Its not as big as it looks. It cant get as ugly and retarded looking as the PSPonTV.

bandit
September 13th, 2006, 00:23
:p HAHAHAHAAAAA.... That was the cracks, Acidburn05!

Is this any better than the one BLAZE made?
...I might get that one for Christmas...

I know team Exacutioners has 100% the best quality visual, and it enables play through a PS2 or PS1 controller, but it kinda turns the PSP more into a Home Console and less of what it really is, a portable...Does any one agree?
I contacted BLAZE and currently, they are revising their TV adapter. They couldnt send me the one that was released to review. So once they improve it (if they do), I'll have a review up.

October 22nd, 2008, 19:32
Retard looking?
Maybe...and about how it works?It has some problems with darkest and lightest colors,and some of them it doesn't show
who has one, like me, try to play blood roar 2 with this thing.
And tallica correcting you: if you want to play your psp on a tv get a PS3

niaz13
November 28th, 2008, 12:06
The Play on TV Adaptor easily snaps onto the front of the PSP and works instantly while still allowing access to the UMD door. No complex installation or modification of the PSP is required. The device is easy to use and provides auto image adjustment allowing